LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon,

I have done searches and understand what must be done, however I want to verify before I begin installing the B&M Supercooler onto my 2006 A4 GTO.

Here are some of the threads that I found:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=305396
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35414

1) I will mount my transmission cooler in my desired location.

2) I will then cut the black rubber transmission hose that is connected to the upper radiator line in half. I will then put two barb fittings into then newly cut ends of this hose. Picture of this hose if from "Irakz" thread:

3) I will then cut the supplied hose in in the required lengths and connect each end of the hose to the B&M cooler. I will then put a barb fitting on each end of the supplied hose.

4) I will then use teflon tape on the threads of the barbs and connect the correct ends of the hose to the matching ends of the hose that I had cut.

5) I will snug the clamps down and let turn on the car let the car run, move into different gears, check for leaks and retighten clamps as necesarry.

6) Once the trans reaches operating temperature, I will check the level and add the proper Dexron ATF fluid as necessary.

Do these steps seem correct?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I never liked tbe barbed fittings because they can sometimes pop. Alot of pepole have been using them but i prefer tbe A/N fittings and is permanent and gauranteed not to leak.

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never liked tbe barbed fittings because they can sometimes pop. Alot of pepole have been using them but i prefer tbe A/N fittings and is permanent and gauranteed not to leak.
Ok, thanks for the info!

Do my steps seem correct otherwise?

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
Do it right the first time and run -6an lines. Those clamp on lines like to pop off and squirt trans fluid everywhere.

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How did you get the OEM rubber lines off of the steel trans lines? Do I need a special tool?

I would like to keep the use of the OEM Trans cooler that runs through the radiator. The reason being is I drive the car up until November and leave early in the morning when it can be in the upper 40's outside.

It looks like I will need to buy more parts, according to this post:

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3717563&postcount=15

(2ea) -6 AN male x 1/4" male npt for the trans connections
(2ea) -6 AN male x 1/2" male npt for the cooler connections
(20') -6 AN Braided hose
(4ea) -6 AN Swivel 90's

Any more input?

Thank you for your time!

·
8 second club
4,849 Posts
How did you get the OEM rubber lines off of the steel trans lines? Do I need a special tool?

I would like to keep the use of the OEM Trans cooler that runs through the radiator. The reason being is I drive the car up until November and leave early in the morning when it can be in the upper 40's outside.

(20') -6 AN Braided hose
(4ea) -6 AN Swivel 90's

Any more input?

Thank you for your time!
You will be much better off with the AN fittings. Like I always say, you cry once now and buy the good stuff or you can cry twice later when you tear up the cheap stuff and then buy the good stuff. :) The Summit fittings are good stuff fwiw.

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts

(20') -6 AN Braided hose
(4ea) -6 AN Swivel 90's

Any more input?

Thank you for your time!
I have mine routed around the stock cooler, I never had any issues driving in MD, with snow on the ground. The water is going to be just as cold at the ATF on startup on a cold morning. Your engine bay heat should be enough for the aftermarket cooler.

I cut the stock connections off the stock hardlines so I have no idea how to remove those soft lines.

·
B====D~~ ~~~ ( . Y . )
4,906 Posts

(20') -6 AN Braided hose
(4ea) -6 AN Swivel 90's

Any more input?

Thank you for your time!

The parts you quoted are for running the lines directly to the trans. IMO running compression fittings off stock hard lines isn't any safer than running barbs in hose. You can run the cooler with the barbs until your ready to convert. If your worried about pressure knocking the fittings off just keep a screw driver and a couple extra hose clamps and maybe a quart of ATF in the trunk for peace of mind.

:cents:

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input and help guys!

I have everything except the A/N fittings and steel braided hoses.

I went and bought more clamps, 3/8" trans hose, brake line cutter and male/male barbs.

I am going to double clamp everything.

I am currently torn between cutting the rubber line and using two male/male barbs, or cutting the hard line.

I might cut the hard line and mount that way because of the fact that the hard line is actually held in place by clips on the radiator.

Thanks again for your input guys!

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts
The parts you quoted are for running the lines directly to the trans. IMO running compression fittings off stock hard lines isn't any safer than running barbs in hose. You can run the cooler with the barbs until your ready to convert. If your worried about pressure knocking the fittings off just keep a screw driver and a couple extra hose clamps and maybe a quart of ATF in the trunk for peace of mind.

:cents:
If a line comes loose you will pump most of the fluid out of the trans.

I flared the stock hardlines.

·
Destroyer of GTOs
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If a line comes loose you will pump most of the fluid out of the trans.

I flared the stock hardlines.
Thanks Miker!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
Mister Skizzels
LS1GTO.com Forums
LS1GTO.com is a forum community dedicated to the LS1 Pontiac GTO. Come discuss mods, horsepower, engine specs and more!
Full Forum Listing