LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,103 Posts
Yeah i dont know whats going on there. I looked at it forever but the metal appears to be straight, no new welds, and no other spots that are off. Im lucky to be able to reference my old car and see what "original" really is. It almost looks like somebody messed up putting the engine in and missed the hole at first
Sand and reprime. Maybe check the metal thickness and the welds. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Got it all out after a couple afternoons. You guys wouldnt believe some of the stuff we took off. Some wrong size bellhousing bolts, a 50/50 bassani stock catback, ebay headers all double nutted with different size nuts, etc lol.

Now to recover my old suspension and install it on this car. Along with fixing some of the interior. I hope to have that done in a months time hopefully.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Looks like you moving right along.

Topic of rust, I had a weird spot on my lower part of the front frame rails, prob about 2 inches behind the front cradle on both sides. Ended up cutting it out and welding a patch into them. Odd considering the car was spotless everywhere else.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Progress has been slow but I bought a set of 243 heads this week and they will be going to katech on Thursday for porting. They are confident to return them to me in a week from arrival! I will be pulling the trigger on some yella terra ultra lites and btr 650 max pressure springs later this week to round up the package besides pushrods. I also acquired another oil pan from the 5.3 so this time the car wont leak or atleast not as bad haha.

Later this week I will post a picture of the piston for some opinions on whether or not I should swap it. I have a used ls2 piston coming in the mail from another forum member whom also sold me the 243s just in case I do decide to swap it out.

The goal is to get the engine running a little after the new year but I have a feeling that is too ambitious. We will find out soon enough.

Lastly anything you guys/gals can think of I should do while the engine and trans is out?
Some thoughts I had:
-Rear Main (funds time depending)
-install front sway bar (saves me the headache)
-assemble engine obviously and maybe mate it with the trans dropping it in from the top in one piece
-relocate ecu
-headers around the steering column
-speed bleeder on the clutch (funds depending)

I had more but they arent coming to mind.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Progress has been slow but I bought a set of 243 heads this week and they will be going to katech on Thursday for porting. They are confident to return them to me in a week from arrival! I will be pulling the trigger on some yella terra ultra lites and btr 650 max pressure springs later this week to round up the package besides pushrods. I also acquired another oil pan from the 5.3 so this time the car wont leak or atleast not as bad haha.

Later this week I will post a picture of the piston for some opinions on whether or not I should swap it. I have a used ls2 piston coming in the mail from another forum member whom also sold me the 243s just in case I do decide to swap it out.

The goal is to get the engine running a little after the new year but I have a feeling that is too ambitious. We will find out soon enough.

Lastly anything you guys/gals can think of I should do while the engine and trans is out?
Some thoughts I had:
-Rear Main (funds time depending)
-install front sway bar (saves me the headache)
-assemble engine obviously and maybe mate it with the trans dropping it in from the top in one piece
-relocate ecu
-headers around the steering column
-speed bleeder on the clutch (funds depending)

I had more but they arent coming to mind.
Maybe relocate the battery to the trunk? Just an idea. I've been planning on doing that as well as the ECU relocate this winter to clean up the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
glad to hear from you again
Thanks! I've been waiting/working to get back in a gto for almost 2 years now. Im really excited to get active on the car and give me a reason to be back on the forums.

Maybe relocate the battery to the trunk? Just an idea. I've been planning on doing that as well as the ECU relocate this winter to clean up the engine bay.
Relocating the battery is definitely sonething I will do. If only I could relocate the fusebox as well. Ive always dreampt of having the engine bay painted and everything relocated but that would move my timeline a good ways back.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Are ya silly? Send it. lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Awesome thread!
Great so see that Rodding and Modding is still alive and well. Good luck with your project, hope it turns out well! My friends and I had many project like this back when we were growing up in the mid 80s so it's very cool to see the same sorts of things happening still. Only differences between now and then is these days the technology is better and the enthusiasts are more skilled.

I don't know anything about wrenching on the LS engines but I have cobbled together many a Pontiac engine back in the day and ran them hard at the strip. The piston in that photo doesn't look too bad to me....I would probably just run it as is and see what happens.....but then again, I don't know how much abuse these LS engines can take.

At any rate....just wanted to post some words of encouragement. I will be following this thread with interest. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Are ya silly? Send it. lol.
Lol idts
Definitely leaning this way
Awesome thread!
Great so see that Rodding and Modding is still alive and well. Good luck with your project, hope it turns out well! My friends and I had many project like this back when we were growing up in the mid 80s so it's very cool to see the same sorts of things happening still. Only differences between now and then is these days the technology is better and the enthusiasts are more skilled.

I don't know anything about wrenching on the LS engines but I have cobbled together many a Pontiac engine back in the day and ran them hard at the strip. The piston in that photo doesn't look too bad to me....I would probably just run it as is and see what happens.....but then again, I don't know how much abuse these LS engines can take.

At any rate....just wanted to post some words of encouragement. I will be following this thread with interest. :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the kind words

Edit: got the harness out but the other harness that goes into the passenger side is is being a pain

·
Banned
534 Posts
I'm not an expert but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I suffered a piston failure due to a hot spot I could have avoided.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts