LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The verdict is replace. I pulled the piston and everything looked really good (to my untrained eye). Next week ill plastigage it with the new rod bearings to double check and reinstall with the new piston.

For fun i posted a picture of me cleaning a bellhousing thread with a tap that is attached with an assortment of incorrect tools haha. It ended up working nicely.

To my surprise my oil pan was not cracked but the gasket had been previously bent when i was trying to do it while in the car 3-4 years ago.

Lastly all of the parts and tools to finish will be ordered monday. Im most excited to try the valve spring micrometer. Very cool tool!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sway bar is out of the old car and in the new car. Also going to finish installing my bc coilovers with the offset whiteline bushings that I never got to try on the old car.

I'm finally starting to see the light! Biggest pain left is to finish removing and replacing the "accessory" harness that attaches to the bcm since the previous owner slaughtered it and the rear swaybar.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I had to help my brothers align and scale their cars for sundays auto x so progress was slowed. However I was able to install shocks on both cars. The whiteline bushings are maybe 2 threads from being fully seated as expected but that will fix itself when I drive it I think. Lastly I pulled the a lot of the hardlines out for safe keeping!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Flea bay has a new set of GM pistons for ls2 for 169 or one at a time for 77 bucks
Not a bad deal thanks for the link

Progress is going to be slower until I figure out what to do about rockers. I was going to buy yella terra 6645s BUT the max recommend valve force is 400 lbs compared to the 424lbs from my cam and pac 1207x springs. I dont have my old stockers and really liked how quiet the valve train was with roller tips anyway. Im not trying to make more hp with rockers but I do care about a stable quiet valvetrain that can be bolted in without any modifications to the cylinder head. Any opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Finally got these babies back. They threw in a tshirt to so that was a nice surprise.

As for rockers i went with the scorpion 1098s as they are made an hour or so away from me and seem to be a good prosuct.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I am totally jealous of your valve covers. I have been looking for a set for a very long time. I like the offset bushings also.

·
Premium Member
36,094 Posts
Finally got these babies back. They threw in a tshirt to so that was a nice surprise.

As for rockers i went with the scorpion 1098s as they are made an hour or so away from me and seem to be a good prosuct.
on a totally unrelated note to this thread, but to the mag article in your pic, subie is totally selling out with that monstrosity. :mrrg:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I am totally jealous of your valve covers. I have been looking for a set for a very long time. I like the offset bushings also.
Yeah I got very lucky they were the last set pace performance had

then again, what car maker doesn't...
Havnt had a chance to read it yet but I'm surrrre it's heavier like every other car lol

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The slowest build thread ever continues this weekend. I will be spending Saturday back in Florida putting the piston back in, reindexing the cam, installing valve springs, and possibly putting the heads back on. The goal is to get the engine back together so come December when i have a big break again the engine will just need to be installed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Definitely been enjoying your thread! Where in FL are you though? A couple of us meet up for Palm Beach Cars & Coffee every month if you're in South FL.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
The piston is back in! I also checked the timing of the cam using a dial indicator qnd the tappet lift information on the cam card. Luckily all is well.

Next month when I come back down I will install the valve springs, heads, rockers, and possibly the oil pain. However I want to do the rear main at the same time of the pan so that may be end of October or november.

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,494 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
When I get this thing back together I would definitely like to go to a meet even if its only a couple of cars.

Working on the bottom end and checking the timing on the cam has me itching to work on it again.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I got a lot of free time from the hurricane. The job let us out for friday so my brother and I drove down for the weekend and used his camcelled flight money for gas.

With the time I had I was able to install the heads and valvetrain . Next time in October the rear main, front seal, and oil pan will be installed with the help of some specialty tools to guaruntee a perfect seal!

Some technical details.
.020 preload
#160-#165 of seat pressure
Valve tip wipe nice and centered

Attachments

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,494 Posts
When I get this thing back together I would definitely like to go to a meet even if its only a couple of cars.

Working on the bottom end and checking the timing on the cam has me itching to work on it again.
There was a few of us at Ace cafe Sat night.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts