LS1GTO.com Forums banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Buttoned up the oil pan, rear cover, and timing cover. I also aligned the oil pump this time instead of just boliting it up. The MR Gasket tools made this pretty easy!

At this point everything is done on the engine besides the rockers on the other side. I plan to put it in the car between the 21st and 31st of next month. Maybe even get it driving?? We will see. I'm excited to see how the new hinson trans mount compliments the engine mounts.

Also does anyone have experience with duplicolor cast aluminum engine paint? This aluminum will never get cleaned up from the oil disaster that happened before so I'd like to just degrease and paint to make it look bright and pretty again.

Attachments

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,526 Posts
Paint the engine Pontiac blue or SRM!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Well guys its that time of year again. I'm going down to Florida to work on the Torrid Red car. I ordered everything I "think" I need to finish it up. I even ordered fluids for the engine, clutch, brakes, trans, and power steering so I have full intentions of trying to start and move the car labor day weekend. I will post pictures of whatever gets done.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Forgot to upload these last winter. The engine and trans are in the car with the headers. It all got pressure washed thats why it looks so much cleaner.

Disregard whatever the hell my brother is wearing he was trying to be funny haha

Attachments

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hurricane coming means I won't be going to Florida this weekend. Depending how the airline handles my tickets will determine when I can go again. : (

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Didn't take any pictures but work on the car for 3 days.

The harness is installed
Shifter on
Radiatior in
Intake on
Clutch bleed
trans and drive shaft installed
headers bolted down with the new gaskets
filled the trans with fluid
filled the power steering
filled the engine with oil
valve covers put on
spark plugs and coils installed
fixed the known issues on the body control harness
drained the fuel tank
russell braided line put on
mechanical oil gauge installed

Not much left to do but double check everything when I go down again for christmas and crank it

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Im nervous!

Oh one thing I forgot to mention is that the clip that connects the slave cylinder to the master cylinder got misplaced years ago. I think I remember not paying attention to where it went because I "Assumed" it was a standard part. That was very very wrong. So now I have to order it through VW becasue gm will only sell it with the line ($150). However if this helps someone in the future safety wire worked really well for a short fix. I won't be driving the car with the safety wire fix although I have no doubt its as good or better than the clip.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I stumbled on this thread in the regional forums, out of sheer boredom and it was a good read. Remind me (us?) again, what happened to your original (SR?) gto? I vaguely remember someone getting into the wall at the track, but that may not have been you. It's all a blur some days :)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I stumbled on this thread in the regional forums, out of sheer boredom and it was a good read. Remind me (us?) again, what happened to your original (SR?) gto? I vaguely remember someone getting into the wall at the track, but that may not have been you. It's all a blur some days :)
Yeah that is exactly what happened. Still don't know to this day what caused it for sure. A lot of the guys on here and myself tried to play detective watching the go pro footage but there isn't anything obviously wrong. I shifted into 4th right where the drag strip goes from asphalt to concrete and the engine speed went way up as if it were in neutral. However you can see the speed on the dash go up as well. I lift off the throttle and counter steered but the car never regained traction even in the slightest. From there it 180d and pancaked the driver side in the wall.

I was in college then and moved to NC for work after graduating. So progress has been limited to 2-3 weekends a year. BUT it is finally very close.I have high hopes for christmas break and seeing this thing on the road again.

·
Worthless reject member
40,117 Posts
Yeah that is exactly what happened. Still don't know to this day what caused it for sure. A lot of the guys on here and myself tried to play detective watching the go pro footage but there isn't anything obviously wrong. I shifted into 4th right where the drag strip goes from asphalt to concrete and the engine speed went way up as if it were in neutral. However you can see the speed on the dash go up as well. I lift off the throttle and counter steered but the car never regained traction even in the slightest. From there it 180d and pancaked the driver side in the wall.

I was in college then and moved to NC for work after graduating. So progress has been limited to 2-3 weekends a year. BUT it is finally very close.I have high hopes for christmas break and seeing this thing on the road again.
Did you clutch in when you lost traction?

Lifting off with the clutch still engaged might have exacerbated the situation.

I wouldn't have stayed in it, but gradually lifting off or clutching in might have been better. With the sudden engine decel, the rear suspension would have unloaded even further, and you already had a low traction condition.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Did you clutch in when you lost traction?

Lifting off with the clutch still engaged might have exacerbated the situation.

I wouldn't have stayed in it, but gradually lifting off or clutching in might have been better. With the sudden engine decel, the rear suspension would have unloaded even further, and you already had a low traction condition.
I have no idea what I did anymore. In the video you cant see my feet so nobody will ever know for sure. My typical reaction is to get on the brakes and push the clutch in however I don't know how well I executed that in those moments. The craziest part to me is that the car was on 285 michen pss square. But the car just slid and slid as if it was on ice. I could never find a cause because of the damage and lack of time but I always thought it could've been a broken axle, broken toe bent toe link, broken diff, oil from another car, or rain on the long end.

·
Worthless reject member
40,117 Posts
I have no idea what I did anymore. In the video you cant see my feet so nobody will ever know for sure. My typical reaction is to get on the brakes and push the clutch in however I don't know how well I executed that in those moments. The craziest part to me is that the car was on 285 michen pss square. But the car just slid and slid as if it was on ice. I could never find a cause because of the damage and lack of time but I always thought it could've been a broken axle, broken toe bent toe link, broken diff, oil from another car, or rain on the long end.
That sucks man.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Got everything in the car over the break. Spent a whole day troubleshooting a no start. I don't know why but I assume the ecu has to be from the same car or be reprogrammed. So after a whole day of headaches I connected the rollers ecu and it started right up. With that being said I only ran the car for maximum 20 seconds as I have no idea what tune is on that ecu. Next task is either buy hpt or ship the two computers somewhere and have the tune file transferred over.

In regards to the start up the engine was very quiet compared to my old set up. It ran really smooth and the oil psi was holding at 55psi constant so I consider that successful.

List of whats left:
transfer tune
buy radiator rubber feet
u joint pin
hang cat back
snug up drive shaft bolts
buy a ton of those little plastic clips to hang up harness
buy clutch clip
install in car oil psi gauge now that ive verified with mechanical
clean the inside of the car real good
shifter handle
bleed the brakes

After that relatively short list I should be driving the damn thing. There are more cosmetic things that I'm going to fix but they aren't "necessary"

61 - 80 of 100 Posts