LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chief CAD monkey
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided my 16 year old car needed a little update. Tapped back up light harness to power camera and trigger radio. Blew fuse. Hot wired trigger lead with 20A fuse, works fine. Added relay to isolate tail lamp. Blew fuse. Upped 15A to a 20, still popped. Do I really need to switch to a 5v optically isolated relay to get this back up circuit to run more than two lights?
IMG_20210407_210452300.jpg

·
Chief CAD monkey
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Partial short? Maybe a lot of resistance. It's fine with just the lights in the circuit.

·
Worthless reject member
46,561 Posts
more resistance would reduce current, though. something is making over 20 amps flow through the circuit to pop the fuse.

perhaps try a different relay? or test the resistance across the 85/86 terminals.

·
Chief CAD monkey
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this is annoying. I have a small pile of blown fuses. I have disconnected both tail lights and all my added wiring. Turn signals work so problem has to be after the S206 connector. Blows the fuse as soon as you put it in reverse. Going to start by replacing the transmission reverse switch as that seems to be the common internet solution. Go from there. I did just R&R my transmission for a rebuild but everything was fine until I tried to power up my back up camera for the first time. Hopefully I just pushed original switch over the edge when I asked a little more of it.

·
Chief CAD monkey
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haven't blown a fuse since replacing the reverse switch GM 14069600 and new connector. 10A fuse at that (popped all the 15A & 20A I had). Confirmed both terminals were grounding to the body when I operated the plunger on the old switch. Odd coincidence. Reaffirms my faith in Murphy's Law. I am running an optically isolated relay to minimize the load on this circuit. Not sure its really necessary anymore.

There was some resistance on the shifter going into reverse. A metal o-ring seal from a generic A/C seal kit provided the perfect shim thickness with bonus sealing. This backed the switch out 3/4 of a turn. Shifter is easier to operate and the back up lights and camera are still working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts