LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
heading to the track
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off I have a pioneer avic 140bh I am getting ready to install. What camera is going to be my best option? Prices pictures any ideas on what to use thanks. Also any ideas on how and where to mount one

·
Insert Witty Title Here
2,803 Posts
A thought of where to mount one might be where the tow hitch square piece is back there.

Could drill a hole big enough for the lense to stick out of and possibly mount the rest of it up underneath all hidden like.

I might be way off base here as I have zero experience installing cameras on vehicles, but might be worth looking into? :dunno:

·
Goatlove
1,451 Posts
I drilled a small hole behind the license plate to route the cord. Used double sided tape to mount the camera up on the ledge. It gives it a cleaner appearance than a license plate camera. Think I paid $20 or so for mine on Amazon. Still works fine.

·
riding the wave!
2,293 Posts
I just finished installing mine. As for which camera to get, if your unit has the RCA jack for the rear view camera, just do a search on sonicelectronix or amazon for whichever features (parking guide/grid lines or not, flush install) and price you like.

Also, if your HU also offers a 'rear view' option while driving forward, make sure you wire the camera accordingly.

Mine offered a flush mount option. I removed the center section of the license plate, drilled a hole, put a grommet, ran the wire through, then drilled a hole on the top sill of the center piece and mounted it flush there. Put it all together and it works great.

Hole on the lid with grommet for camera wire-

finished flush mount (sorry for the bad pic), I painted the flush mounting nut to match the car-

hope this helps and good luck!

·
Goatlove
1,451 Posts
That's a pretty clean look.

·
Goatlove
1,451 Posts
Here is mine:

·
riding the wave!
2,293 Posts
Thanks! From a distance, you can't really notice it, and that spot angles down some. I like your spot, and would have done it the same if I had gone with that style camera. Nice!

·
heading to the track
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is what I was looking for jegten do you remember which camera that was. Looks great

·
riding the wave!
2,293 Posts
that is what I was looking for jegten do you remember which camera that was. Looks great
It is an accelivision RVC1300. It doesn't have the parking guide/grid lines. There are several that offer the flush mount, grid lines, and stuff you can find them if you do a search. the prices range from $29-139.
Wow, I love the flush mount, Jegten! How well do you like having that rear camera?
Thanks! I really like it. It 'completes' my AVIC HU. It gives it a nice classy touch. I still need to 'learn' how to use it lol It took me a little bit to figure out where to mount it, but once I was looking at it, I began to tear things apart and came up with it.

EDIT-Oh! The first pic, it looks clean only after I cleaned the thick layer of dust that was covering that section. lol

·
'12-'13 ScrScca SM Champ
7,095 Posts

·
heading to the track
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the link miker I just ordered one. I like the factory look and also it will be the easiest to install. Thanks again for the help

·
riding the wave!
2,293 Posts
Good choice. I looked at it. Remember, if your HU has a 'rear view' option while driving forward to wire it accordingly. Good luck!

·
GTO Fo Sho!
10,585 Posts
does that factory camera produce the grid lines? Looking into this now since a new HU is just around the corner

·
douche de luche
3,867 Posts
Mine does.

·
GTO Fo Sho!
10,585 Posts

·
douche de luche
3,867 Posts
I ordered it quite a few years ago so I do not know any details. They are all made in the same 3rd world chinese factory, just pick an eBay seller that seems the least shady.

A note to anyone getting this. They use a soldered in white/blueish LED light you can replace so make sure you pick up a LED replacement bulb for the other license plate bulb so they match.

·
Registered
339 Posts
When you reverse, do these cams come on on its own and show on the screen, or do you have to switch the radio manually to see behind?

·
douche de luche
3,867 Posts
When you reverse, do these cams come on on its own and show on the screen, or do you have to switch the radio manually to see behind?

That has absolute nothing to do with the camera. That is the head units job.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well, that was my question. Do head units do that when you plug the av cables in? Or does it work some other way that I'm not familiar with?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts