LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baer has released two front brake systems for the GTO and Gravana is now taking orders.

Baer's incredible new GT (Grand Touring) Front Brake Systems provide performance braking at a consumer-friendly price. Two systems are available, one 13" for OEM and larger wheels, and the other 14" for aftermarket wheels that are 18" and up. Each front kit features 2-Piece rotors with PBR 2-piston calipers to produce solid performance and stopping power. These kits have exceptional modulation, performance, and race-proven durability that make them ideal for street or track. Click on either link below for more information.

The rear 13" system is expected to be released in late August.

BAER 13" FRONT KIT - FITS OEM WHEELS

BAER 14" FRONT KIT - FOR 18" + WHEELS

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Jim, any word on a rear setup for the all around effect?

also what size are the stock rotors?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTOdriver7 said:
Jim, any word on a rear setup for the all around effect?

also what size are the stock rotors?
Rears are scheduled to be 13" (for OEM wheel fitment) with a Single Piston PBR Caliper. I have it listed at $1095 from Baer, but nothing is locked in until they officially release it.

I believe the OEM rotors are F-11.7/R-11.3. I will verify. If those sizes are inaccurate, I will update this post with the correct sizes.

Jim

·
grinning ever since...
452 Posts
Perhaps a dumb question, but is the PBR in the Baer brake system the same as the Aussie PBR I have read elsewhere in these threads? I am somewhat confused, is Baer simply rebranding them?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bioinformaticus said:
Perhaps a dumb question, but is the PBR in the Baer brake system the same as the Aussie PBR I have read elsewhere in these threads? I am somewhat confused, is Baer simply rebranding them?
This is a common question. Baer found PBR to offer the best choice of quality and economy in a caliper to use in the Baer Brake kit for this application.

Jim

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GTOdriver7 said:
another stupid question. what is PBR?
Stupid? No way! If you are asking it, someone else is probably interested as well.

PBR is a manufacturer of OE and aftermarket brake components, such as calipers, rotors, actuation components, etc. Based in Australia, PBR has @ 70 years in the business, and has acquired more design, manufacturing and OE supply awards than they can physically display in a trophy room.

I believe their website is still www.pbr.com.au.

Jim

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
phobos512- According to Baer, the 2/1 set-up is perfect for street and some track, while maintaining affordability.

miamio- The brackets and hardware for the rear kits are typically what drive the price up.

However, two members wanting front & rear combos with the upgraded rotors have already emailed or called us for package prices and to make sure we price-match. Just call or email for quotes.

Is there enough demand for these kits to justify posting a Group Purchase? I can put together a good GP...

·
grinning ever since...
452 Posts
I am highly interest in upgrading my braking ability.

So now the next question... how does the Baer system compare with the PBR VY-VT (Commodore) kit that is a bolt on mentioned in other threads. By comparison I mean against each other and relative to stock. Just by the information in hand, they appear very similar, and not substantially more than stock. A 30% improvement in stopping ability combined with fade-free and solid stopping is significant in my books, but I can't seem to find any data to support such claims.

Separate note, the short/quick shifters available in Oz seem to have the shift pattern (by photos seen on the web sites) as a LHD vehicle (must be an odd experience driving RHD). Thus, it seems that HSV-style short/quick shifters I've seen elsewhere in threads would appear to be a bolt on mod.

Any insights??

Regards..

·
Banned
504 Posts
With the Baer front 13" kit on our GTO we tested with Baer and got a 60-0 distance of 108'. Out of several times the worst we got was 111'.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bioinformaticus said:
I am highly interest in upgrading my braking ability.

So now the next question... how does the Baer system compare with the PBR VY-VT (Commodore) kit that is a bolt on mentioned in other threads. By comparison I mean against each other and relative to stock. Just by the information in hand, they appear very similar, and not substantially more than stock. A 30% improvement in stopping ability combined with fade-free and solid stopping is significant in my books, but I can't seem to find any data to support such claims.

Separate note, the short/quick shifters available in Oz seem to have the shift pattern (by photos seen on the web sites) as a LHD vehicle (must be an odd experience driving RHD). Thus, it seems that HSV-style short/quick shifters I've seen elsewhere in threads would appear to be a bolt on mod.

Any insights??

Regards..
Regarding the brakes, I am not familiar with the VY-VT PBR kit. However, the standard Baer kit should provide 10-15% more efficiency in stopping. The 14" kit may provide more. AP Racing has not yet answered my request for 100-0 and 60-0 stop tests. I will post it when I have it.

Regarding the shifters, they should fit fine. I ordered a sample of every one I could find to test and have received only one as of today. Ironically, it is the lowest priced unit, and is simply a spacer kit with a redesigned pivot ball. It is a very crude piece, and it will raise your shifter up @ 1/2" once installed. I should have feedback in a few weeks on that.

The shifter manufacturers here in the US are telling me that the GTO design is more complex than other GM vehicle shifters, and they should have something by the end of the year... None will commit to the price.

A few people have inquired about a group purchase on importing one of the Aussie shifters. The magic number to bring the price down to a reasonable level is 25 units. If I get 10 pre-orders, I will step up and order the 25 units...

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Gravana Jim said:
A few people have inquired about a group purchase on importing one of the Aussie shifters. The magic number to bring the price down to a reasonable level is 25 units. If I get 10 pre-orders, I will step up and order the 25 units...
jim, which aussie shift kit are you refering too? pics? price estimate?
i am very interested in a short shift kit. you can pretty much include me in the first 10 necessary, as long as the shifter is good quality and reasonable priced
thanks

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
I want to buy the biggest set up I can fit under my 18" front wheels. I want the Baer braking set up with the aluminum hat slotted/drilled rotors with braided lines. What is the best price you can deliver this front set up to Lynnwood WA 98037 and how do I proceed? Thank you.

PS as long as the price is reasonable and the quality is a definite improvement over stock you can for sure also count me in on any shifter purchase. I don't like my current shifter at all and it pales in comparison to the stock Hurst shifter in my 2002 Z28.

·
Registered
571 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
jim, which aussie shift kit are you refering too? pics? price estimate?
i am very interested in a short shift kit. you can pretty much include me in the first 10 necessary, as long as the shifter is good quality and reasonable priced
thanks
Same here, IF I can keep my stock handle!

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
Yes, I only want a shifter that is a clear improvement in shift quality over stock AND allows me to retain my OEM boot and knob.

·
Registered
349 Posts
1COOLPC said:
Yes, I only want a shifter that is a clear improvement in shift quality over stock AND allows me to retain my OEM boot and knob.
What he said.

·
Yellow Goat
410 Posts
I don't fully understand, the pictures are confusing. For $1050 do we get 2 of these rotors;

or 2 of these rotors;

The description talks of a rotor upgrade but doesn't mention any price. These pictures are confusing.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry. Baer just recently provided this updated image. This is the C5 kit, which is very close to the GTO.

Each kit includes all parts necessary for both left and right sides, which would include two rotors.

Baer's upgrade from the standard rotor to the drilled/slotted/zinc-washed rotor shown in this photo is $50 each. However, all orders and inquiries so far have been for the kits with upgraded rotors. Thus, we recently changed our listings to include the upgraded rotors.

Sorry for the confusion. I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts