LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased some stockers for the winter. I got a decent price on them giving the market.

Here's the bait: Like I said, decent price. They weren't dirt cheap, but enough to make my jump on it.

The "switch": The seller wants more money for shipping. Now, we agreed to the price of the wheels. It's an auction. He emails me 2 days later saying he needs more money to ship it. I think he just wants more money since he feels the wheels are worth more than I purchased. Seems kind of shady to wait a couple days and inform me of this, and not to mention it's an auction so you can't go back on it and ask for more to cover the "extra charges".

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
06BLKSAP said:
I purchased some stockers for the winter. I got a decent price on them giving the market.

Here's the bait: Like I said, decent price. They weren't dirt cheap, but enough to make my jump on it.

The "switch": The seller wants more money for shipping. Now, we agreed to the price of the wheels. It's an auction. He emails me 2 days later saying he needs more money to ship it. I think he just wants more money since he feels the wheels are worth more than I purchased. Seems kind of shady to wait a couple days and inform me of this, and not to mention it's an auction so you can't go back on it and ask for more to cover the "extra charges".
2 ways to go about it
1. Wheels and tires are super expensive to ship, offer to have them picked up, or ask him to verify the price.

2. Tell him to pound sand, bought them, he is bound to ship them. Feel free to ad either Bitch or Beotch to then end of the conversation with him.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What did the auction state about shipping? If it said buyer pays actual shipping costs, make him verify it. If he put a flat rate, like Wretched said, he can pound sand.

·
THE ROKET WAS SOLD ON 6/22/14
9,794 Posts
If you both agreed on a price BEFORE he asked for more money he's chit out of luck. You have a contract to buy the wheels for X amount of money, you both had a meeting of the minds on the price. That's as good as a written contract. If he refuses to send you the wheels for the price you BOTH negotiated then he's on the hook to send them. DO NOT give him anymore cash then you already made a deal for. I would take it up with the auction site and see what they say.

Good Luck,
ROK

·
Registered
456 Posts
For the record, bait and switch is actually where you're baited into a store with a certain product, then switched to a different (usually more profitable) product because the original product is said to be unavailable or some other lame reason. It's a bad business practice that seems to be far less common than it used to be.

What you're experiencing is simply a matter of the sellers greed or failure to research the shipping. If you agreed on a price, then that's the end of it. You have the right to get what you won at the price you agreed on.

I would suggest not using derogatory comments or profanity in any correspondence. It only makes you appear to be ignorant or juvenile.

·
Administrator
20,431 Posts
Ask him to either honor the original agreement or tell him to forget it.

·
Resident SVT Defender
906 Posts
Steel Chicken said:
Ask him to either honor the original agreement or tell him to forget it.
I wouldn't tell him to forget it. I assume this was an eBay thing, but even if it was another site, make him honor the deal. If it was flat rate shipping, he has to ship for that amount. It's his responsibility to research shipping before making a deal. Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wretched 6.0 said:
2 ways to go about it
1. Wheels and tires are super expensive to ship, offer to have them picked up, or ask him to verify the price.

2. Tell him to pound sand, bought them, he is bound to ship them. Feel free to ad either Bitch or Beotch to then end of the conversation with him.
I would take option 2.

When I sold my Vette last month, I sold some extra parts to members on another board. I listed everything with a shipped price but had no idea about the current fuel surcharges or rural delivery charges. Long story short, I took it in the backside on the shipping but never said a word to the buyer. It was my fault and the price of doing business.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I won some wheels/tires off eBay on an auction that had fixed shipping costs listed. Unfortunately for him, he had to ship them from Florida to WA state. I made him eat it and he was out some money. When I actually received them, they weren't quite as nice as I expected so I'm glad I didn't assist with the shipping even though the seller asked.

·
Registered
456 Posts
1fstmach said:
To ship wheels its about 25/wheel
Is that across the street, or across the country? Same approximate price either distance?

·
BackRoads Connoisseur
1,235 Posts
Hey, FedEx has a new residential only (FEDEX HOME DELIVERY) rate that is fantastic. I shipped my wheels to the buyer for around 12 or 15 per wheel if I recall. The quote longer ship times for it, but depending on their loads it can go faster. My buyer had his the very next day and I was originally quoted one week.

I just went to Fedex.com and typed in the info and for 4 wheels to go from Upstate NY to Texas is a total of $66.48..... but it does have to go to a residence.... not a business.

Pass this info on to your seller to help him out.... but don't pay anymore then your agreed price.

·
Registered
456 Posts
bill12s said:
Hey, FedEx has a new residential only (FEDEX HOME DELIVERY) rate that is fantastic. I shipped my wheels to the buyer for around 12 or 15 per wheel if I recall. The quote longer ship times for it, but depending on their loads it can go faster. My buyer had his the very next day and I was originally quoted one week.

I just went to Fedex.com and typed in the info and for 4 wheels to go from Upstate NY to Texas is a total of $66.48..... but it does have to go to a residence.... not a business.

Pass this info on to your seller to help him out.... but don't pay anymore then your agreed price.
Thanks for passing this along, lower shipping rates are always welcome.

·
ls2 freak
590 Posts
I shipped 4 heavy chinese made 20" wheels with tires for around $80 bucks tires and wheel combos were around 56 lbs each it wasn't going cross country but i think it was going halfway cross country via ups ground i am receiving tires from tirerack this week and shipping costs were $24.68 for 2 day ups ground and 23.65 for 3 day fedex express saver--hope this helps

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
ROKS ROCKET said:
If you both agreed on a price BEFORE he asked for more money he's chit out of luck. You have a contract to buy the wheels for X amount of money, you both had a meeting of the minds on the price. That's as good as a written contract. If he refuses to send you the wheels for the price you BOTH negotiated then he's on the hook to send them. DO NOT give him anymore cash then you already made a deal for. I would take it up with the auction site and see what they say.

Good Luck,
ROK

As an attorney, I can say that unless there has been an agreement about the shipping price, those terms are still open and he is not obligated to ship to you at his expense. If, however, the auction said shipping included or something like that that lead you (or a reasonable person who read it) to believe shipping was included, then you have a case. Drop me a line if you like; we can talk. Helped a few folks out here on the board before.

LR

·
It's simple physics
3,733 Posts
Another option is to get the weights from him and arrange shipping yourself. As I mentioned above unless there was something misleading, a mistake or misunderstanding by both parties is not (generally) actionable. There has to be bad faith or an acceptance of an agreement involved.

LR

1 - 17 of 17 Posts