LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey GTOers!

Will a Bohmman's Customs XAIR OTR CAI fit a Banshee hood? With or without cutting? If it doesn't need to be cut, would cutting it to utilize the hood scoops be beneficial?

Thanks!

·
Is that FWD?
1,009 Posts
I think they have to be cut. I have the SvedeSpeed OTRCAI and cut my Banshee hood for true ram air.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they have to be cut. I have the SvedeSpeed OTRCAI and cut my Banshee hood for true ram air.

So does part of your air filter stick up enough so the hood scoops actually ram air into it? From what I can tell with the XAIR it does not stick up to be able to utilize the hood scoops for anything other than cooling purposes.

·
Is that FWD?
1,009 Posts
So does part of your air filter stick up enough so the hood scoops actually ram air into it? From what I can tell with the XAIR it does not stick up to be able to utilize the hood scoops for anything other than cooling purposes.
Yes, the top 1/2 the filter is in the banshee vents sucking in air. The bottom 1/2 of the filter air comes in through the honey comb vents on bumper.
Not sure you can really see that in the pictures with hood closed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense, the one I have on my car currently I am unsure of the brand. But it's kinda beat up so I'm hoping to get an X-Air.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm going to order the XAIR, do I need/want the Fast Acting Thermistor and the IAT Relocation Harness? Running with stock LS2 intake, stock throttle body, and Delphi mass air flow sensor. Also currently had an OTR intake installed if that helps.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Was thinking about getting this hood, also have OTR CAI X-AIR, My girl is SDD ( Spirited Daily Driver ). Already have SAP honey comb vents on bumper ( heard they create low pressure air zone ).

1. Was worried about rain, are there plugs for the Banshee ?
2. I don't see those ugly WW jets on hood, are using Bosch Wiper Washer kit, arms from a donor car or did you do a MOD yourself ?

Great Pic's !
:)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was thinking about getting this hood, also have OTR CAI X-AIR, My girl is SDD ( Spirited Daily Driver ). Already have SAP honey comb vents on bumper ( heard they create low pressure air zone ).

1. Was worried about rain, are there plugs for the Banshee ?
2. I don't see those ugly WW jets on hood, are using Bosch Wiper Washer kit, arms from a donor car or did you do a MOD yourself ?

Great Pic's !
:)
The Banshee's hood scoops allow air to come in, however the air goes through a wind tunnel that is built into the hood, the air dumps out to where the stock air intake is supposed to be.

I don't use my windshield washers since it's not a daily driver and the products I use doesn't allow rain to stick to the windshield anyways. So the WW system is disconnected, I will eventually delete it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was installing my XAIR on Sunday and I cut the intake tube that came with it for the MAF to the TB. Was I not supposed to cut it? If I was supposed to, I need a coupler that will make this work. I can't close the hood if I raise the intake up. Would it be wise to use intake tubes with 22 degree bends?

·
Is that FWD?
1,009 Posts
I was installing my XAIR on Sunday and I cut the intake tube that came with it for the MAF to the TB. Was I not supposed to cut it? If I was supposed to, I need a coupler that will make this work. I can't close the hood if I raise the intake up. Would it be wise to use intake tubes with 22 degree bends?

I am pretty sure the Banshee hood needs to be cut for your intake to fit. I also relocated the washers nozzles to the wiper arms.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about something like this?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow!
I have 06 GTO,. Your Engine looks high to me (specifically throttle body) tilted and somewhat forward. I bought x-air unit and have not installed yet (sick). Currently I have K&N warm air intake on it. My son just took pic's from side perspective in reference to your pic's. Look at these as compared to yours (mine is lower) use power steering reservoir caps as reference points (yes we both have marvelous colored PS fluid - LOL) .

You have something in front (or on) your throttle Body as compared to mine. The X-Air has a flat area on bottom that rests on top off radiator (I plan to insulate mine when I install). Normally to restrict or disrupt air flow the angle has to be greater than 45'.
Before you cut Banshee hood try all of the following:

Check motor and trans mounts ( you can buy these mounts in different heights, also if mounts are OEM they contain liquid inside - my guess on your tilt on engine is front mounts were replaced ( hopefully polly) however trans mount was not - trans mount can look good but still be smurfed - if in doubt replace.

Radiator (no draining of coolant) can be lowered, pretty easy (2 person) remove upper radiator clamps (each end of radiator on top - gently pull radiator up (person 1). 2nd person ( under the car) pulls radiator doughnuts out ( cut them in half or get some rubber washers ).

Sadly, if it were me, I'd chase the engine tilt issue first and foremost and fix fast, GTO's got a lotta torge and can do damage far more costly and time consuming if tilt effects transitional pieces - could be like cancer and really spread. Hopefully I am wrong on tilt, I would prefer to be.

Now I just gotta chase that WW guy and learn.

Brad

PS: I never did a diagnosis by picture before,,hmmmm, Lemme see,,,,Yeeup just might work. Perhaps I could diagnose breast cancer ( for free !),, Just send me a pic of the twins, and if follow up is needed? Could be a touch n go visit....ROFL

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am pretty sure the Banshee hood needs to be cut for your intake to fit. I also relocated the washers nozzles to the wiper arms.
What did you use to cut yours? A Dremel? If so, what kind of bit did you use? Should be easy enough, I'll just cover the engine bay with a bed sheet.

·
Is that FWD?
1,009 Posts
What did you use to cut yours? A Dremel? If so, what kind of bit did you use? Should be easy enough, I'll just cover the engine bay with a bed sheet.
The shop did use a dremel tool, they traced it out for me and made the cuts when they painted the hood.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The shop did use a dremel tool, they traced it out for me and made the cuts when they painted the hood.
Awesome. I'll be doing this tonight! Maybe I'll make the heat vent ports a little bigger too. Time to get some Ram Air decals.

·
Is that FWD?
1,009 Posts
Awesome. I'll be doing this tonight! Maybe I'll make the heat vent ports a little bigger too. Time to get some Ram Air decals.
Stickers add like 10HP.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's in, fits my banshee Hood without cutting! A 22 degree intake coupler did the trick. I raised the hood a few mm and as I have my bumper off, I can feel that there is wiggle room with the hood closed.

·
Is that FWD?
1,009 Posts
It's in, fits my banshee Hood without cutting! A 22 degree intake coupler did the trick. I raised the hood a few mm and as I have my bumper off, I can feel that there is wiggle room with the hood closed.
Glad you got it to fit, not complete true ram air like my setup, but OTR helps some.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glad you got it to fit, not complete true ram air like my setup, but OTR helps some.
When I get a few more minutes I'm going to cut the hood for the hood scoops to be functional. I'll remove the 22 degree elbow and replace with a straight coupler.

Plus I already ordered my Ram Air decals! The SAP kidneys should add a little ram air though.

·
Is that FWD?
1,009 Posts
When I get a few more minutes I'm going to cut the hood for the hood scoops to be functional. I'll remove the 22 degree elbow and replace with a straight coupler.

Plus I already ordered my Ram Air decals! The SAP kidneys should add a little ram air though.
Cool, looking forward to seeing your end result.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts