LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Resident 10-second Priest
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dynoed my Automatic 04 GTO tonight. About what I expected, based on my previous quarter-mile times. This was bone-stock, with no weight reductions or tricks, and a 1/4 tank of gas.

At the wheels:
HP: 285.8
Ft/Lbs: 304.4

Obviously, the A4's have a lot more drivetrain loss than the M6's, which is to be expected. What I wonder about is why I seem to be upwards of 20hp less than what other stock autos seem to be running (based on 1/4-mile times I've seen).

At the least, this assures me that it's not my driving skills that have me running a couple of tenths slower than other stock autos.

Feel free to speculate. I'm happy to have some baseline numbers down so that I can start modding. :)

Padre... here's the chart (you gotta love the torque-curve on these things :) ):

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
How much did that cost if you dont mind me asking? 285 at the wheels is not bad, I think thats pretty good for an A4 and no mods. I have an A4 also I think I would like to get a Dyno done too, how long does it take?

·
21,898 Posts
Hey Padre I think I just answered my own question, I see on Dynolabs website they have a thursday night special 50 bucks, I assume thats what you got.

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dbluegoat said:
Hey Padre I think I just answered my own question, I see on Dynolabs website they have a thursday night special 50 bucks, I assume thats what you got.
Yep. :) I found it from a member of this board, OpticZ06, who dynos his cars there frequently. So if you're in the Atlanta area, give it a shot.

I got three runs, takes less than half an hour. And as expected, I lost horsepower on each run with the heat-soak, so my first run was the best. It's a bit tricky to dyno an automatic - I drove, but the fellow running the dyno was an expert and walked me through it, so I think I got the best out of it. All in all, a lot of fun. :)

Padre

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
How many miles on the motor ? Could still be tight. Not bad numbers though.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
PadreGTO said:
It's a bit tricky to dyno an automatic - I drove, but the fellow running the dyno was an expert and walked me through it, so I think I got the best out of it. All in all, a lot of fun. :)

Padre
Please give details. I want to get mine dyno'd and would like to appear more intelligent than I really am.
:drink: :drink:

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adam: 3300 miles on the motor, so you may be right. I've ran the 1/4 in it on three different occasions, each time 3 runs, at 1000, 2000, and 3000 miles. And each time it has improved.

Tails: the operator walked me through it. Basically put it in "1" and get up to 15mph, then put it in "2", let it shift, then get it up to 55-60mph, then put it in "3", let it shift, and floor it. Usually, it won't downshift at that point.

Padre

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
Mine actually dyno'd less than that. It was about 275 tot he wheels. That was with less than 1000 miles on it. I had an LS1 Edit tune put in and that brought it up to 288. I put a TC in a few weeks ago and added the Speed Inc. induction set-up. Yesterday, after some more tuning for the air box it was at 295. I'm guessing it's closer to 300 or better because the converter was slipping a little during the pulls.

An interesting side note: we unhooked the exhaust after the resonator and did another pull. It only picked up 1.5hp! Another A4 did the same thing the day before. We concluded that the restriction ( and therefore untapped hp ) is between the manifolds and the resonator so LT headers should produce some significant gains with or without changing the stock exhaust. I'll change mine anyway for two reasons; I want to split the duals to both sides and I'll want to take advantage of the larger diameter headers with a larger exhaust. Plus, I like a loud car. My neighbor can wake me from a dead sleep when he starts his vette and want to return the favor!

Dave

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
Quick aside

Awesome license plate frame! :D

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wavydavy GTO said:
I put a TC in a few weeks ago...
Thanks for all the info Dave. Question: which TC did you go with and what's the stall-speed? I did that on my WRX and experienced the same thing: a higher-stall TC tends to slip more and the HP numbers are a bit skewed downwards. However, we set up a TC-lock-up switch which helped at the track. I'm sure I can do the same with the Goat. The TC may be one of my last mods (even though I know it's an instant half-second or so at the track), and I'll probably go with something mild, like a 2800rpm stall - though I want to research it and match it to my whole pacakge.

Padre

·
549 RWHP and 569 TQ
414 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Thanks for all the info Dave. Question: which TC did you go with and what's the stall-speed? I did that on my WRX and experienced the same thing: a higher-stall TC tends to slip more and the HP numbers are a bit skewed downwards. However, we set up a TC-lock-up switch which helped at the track. I'm sure I can do the same with the Goat. The TC may be one of my last mods (even though I know it's an instant half-second or so at the track), and I'll probably go with something mild, like a 2800rpm stall - though I want to research it and match it to my whole pacakge.

Padre
I went with the Yank SS3600. I know it's pretty big put I have big plans and only wanted to do it once. It's actually pretty driveable. The car still rolls a little on idle. The owner of Yank told me he put the same one in one of the GM upity-up's GTO and he was really happy with it so I took the plung. I'm still having some other tuning issues so I haven't seen the 1/2 second decrease yet.

Dave

·
Registered
267 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Adam: 3300 miles on the motor, so you may be right. I've ran the 1/4 in it on three different occasions, each time 3 runs, at 1000, 2000, and 3000 miles. And each time it has improved.

Tails: the operator walked me through it. Basically put it in "1" and get up to 15mph, then put it in "2", let it shift, then get it up to 55-60mph, then put it in "3", let it shift, and floor it. Usually, it won't downshift at that point.

Padre

I have dynoed several times with an Auto, we do it a bit differently.
2nd Gear at 35mph, then WOT to redline and let off.

With the Manual Trans, Ran it up to 4th gear 1:1 ratio and then WOT at 2000 RPM till redline.

The weight of your car has nothing to do with HP on the dyno so your fuel level is not a factor.

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bclarke said:
I have dynoed several times with an Auto, we do it a bit differently. 2nd Gear at 35mph, then WOT to redline and let off.
Yeah, actually it's a breeze now with HP Tuner. All you gotta do is change the kickdown speed (3->2) to something like 25 or 30mph. Just bring it up slowly to over 30mph, let it shift into 3rd, then floor it and it won't kickdown.

Padre

BTW, by June 14th, I should be putting close to 435hp to the wheels. :D

·
21,898 Posts
PadreGTO said:
BTW, by June 14th, I should be putting close to 435hp to the wheels. :D

Please enlighten us!!

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dbluegoat said:
Please enlighten us!!
Hehe. I will. Wait till June 15th - I should have dyno and 1/4mile numbers by then. It's gonna be a beast. :D

Padre

·
21,898 Posts
PadreGTO said:
Hehe. I will. Wait till June 15th - I should have dyno and 1/4mile numbers by then. It's gonna be a beast. :D

Padre
Yes but what is going to give it that power? :sneaky:

·
8,959 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dbluegoat said:
Yes but what is going to give it that power? :sneaky:
Totally N/A - bolt-ons and H/C plus a 2800rpm TC. No boost (yet). :sneaky: :D

Padre

1 - 17 of 17 Posts