LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased my 04 gto a year and a half ago and it already had HIDs installed in both high and low beam. Last week all but one high beam just stopped working all at the same time. I ordered a set of LED bulbs for the low beam and did away with all the ratty, shade tree wiring some previous owner thought was "good enough". All lights are working now. I'm thinking I'm good to go. Back out of the shop and suddenly the battery light comes on and info center says check alternator. I keep a battery tender on it since I'm a truck driver and am gone weeks at a time. Voltage was at 12.6 when i crunk the car. In the amount of time it took me to back up 20 feet and drive back forward the voltage dropped to 9.5. I took battery out while removing the pieced together wiring. I'm at a loss. Don't see how anything i messed with could make the alternator give out. Any idea's on what to check?

·
Worthless reject member
40,163 Posts
Do your basics. Test the battery and the alternator. Make sure the connections to the battery and alternator are good, and check the dc sense circuit and indicator lamp/field power circuit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it normal for it to loose that much voltage in such a short period? I'm wondering if something has crawled in it and chewed on wires or something. I wouldn't even be able to drive it to a mechanic at that rate of loss

·
Worthless reject member
40,163 Posts
If your rpms dropped significantly and the battery was discharged, or there was a poor connection at the battery terminals, it could happen.

·
GR-RRR!
5,510 Posts
Is it normal for it to loose that much voltage in such a short period? I'm wondering if something has crawled in it and chewed on wires or something. I wouldn't even be able to drive it to a mechanic at that rate of loss
How did you store the battery while it was out? Did you set it down on concrete? How old it he battery? Have you tried charging it properly with a battery charger?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had it sitting on a wood work table. Only had it out about an hour. Battery was replaced mid March. Haven't charged it other than on the tender, but checked it with a multimeter after reinstalling it and after pulling back in the shop. I've had an issue with this car for the past 6 months where the battery will be nearly completely dead if not driven for more than 4 days or so, bur hasn't been an issue since I got the battery tender. I hoped fixing the hack job headlight wiring would remedy that, since the only other thing non stock is the stereo otherwise. Guess I've got bigger problems

·
GR-RRR!
5,510 Posts
....the only other thing non stock is the stereo otherwise.......
I'd be taking a serious look at that and how it was wired in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already did. All connections are soldered and shrink wrapped using a proper harness. Talked to my local alternator rebuild shop and he says the alternator going bad could possibly have been causing it. Something about a short inside it causing a drain. I have a new ac delco ordered. Gonna take it and have it installed and tested for draw

·
GR-RRR!
5,510 Posts
Already did. All connections are soldered and shrink wrapped using a proper harness. Talked to my local alternator rebuild shop and he says the alternator going bad could possibly have been causing it. Something about a short inside it causing a drain. I have a new ac delco ordered. Gonna take it and have it installed and tested for draw
I'd be looking at the stereo to see if it is wired into a always hot circuit instead of a only on with the ignition on circuit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts