LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like it says, my battery keeps dieing on my GTO......WHY?
The day I picked the car up from the dealership the battery was dead, so they REPLACED that battery. Then i go ahead and drive the car home with the new battery. I Store the car in my heated Garage for about a month (after I FULLY charged the battery). Then I attempt to start the car and the battery is again dead. I just figured it sat too long with all of the electronic drains.......so i jump started and fully charged it again.
Then I drive it on and off for a month.........
Today i went to start it and it was dead AGAIN.....(after sitting about 10 days). This is rediculous. I didn't buy this car for a daily driver, so i rarely drive it in 2 consecutive days. I refuse to have this battery issue every time I want to take it for a ride. The weather is getting nice now, so I will want to drive it even more.
IS there any reason why these batteries keep dieing??????
When i park it I Pull the key from the ignition and make sure all lights are off and that the accessories are all off too.

Any ideas why it keeps doing this? Thanks in advance! ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
make sure your radio is off when you take the key out... it can run up to ten min (i think) with no key in the ingnition. just a though, probably not it though

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Can you measure the drain on the battery by taking the wire off of the negative terminal and measuring the current between the wire and the battery terminal with the car off? I don't know what the spec should be.
:drink: :drink:

·
Registered
244 Posts
IIRC, if you disconnect the battery at the terminals, the radio security codes will need to be re-instated.

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
Battery disconnect?

mmciau said:
IIRC, if you disconnect the battery at the terminals, the radio security codes will need to be re-instated.

Mike
I always thought you just disconnected the terminals to change a battery. What is the proper method as I am going for the Otima battery. Just make sure the radio is off?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
mmciau said:
I've disconnected my battery twice and never had to re-install the radio security codes.

According to the user's manual, the radio can run up to 60 minutes after the key is removed. The electric windows will operate up to 15 minutes after the key is removed IF a door has not been opened.

·
Registered
63 Posts
It happened to me. It was a star washer that they forgot to put on a ground wire. the dealer look at a gto he had on the lot. That's how they found it. hope this helps.

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
yourguyry said:
make sure your radio is off when you take the key out... it can run up to ten min (i think) with no key in the ingnition. just a though, probably not it though
The radio turns off when you pull the key. It will stay on if you leave the key in.

Diggs

·
Gone but not forgotten
378 Posts
mmciau said:

Mike
I think that is only if you try to put the radio in a different car. I pulled the radio to install the smoker's package and only had to reset the time. My presets were still there and the security code was not required.

Diggs

·
\m/ (>.<) \m/
762 Posts
I noticed that sometimes my lights wouldn't turn off if I left the switch on "auto". I turn the lights off when I get out and have never had the problem since.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Money to Burn??

Optima batteries are good, but you can replace the battery and still have the same prlblem. The chances of 2 batteries being bad is highly remote. does not sound like you have taken it back to your dealer. There are very specific tests they can run to vheck if you have excess parasitic drains. One of your modules may not be turning off. happens regularly. the policy for GM is if the battery fails in thier inventory, the dealer has to pay for it. GM standards is to start the vehicle at least 1 time a week for I think sometime between 5-15 minutes. letting the car sit for 10 days, the vehicle should start. however, leaving it set for a month, is questionable. the elctronics in the GTO is not as suphisticated as a domestic built GM vehicle. In fact we ahve a module designed just to communiate with the PCM, which is a normal GM domestic style. Not really sure what turn off rates there are in the modules on the GTO. Some of the domestic high end vehicles can take hours to turn off. In fact the Onstar module turns on/off on a regualr basis; I think every 10 minutes or so.. Again, have the dealer check it. Could be a symptom of something else that could fail
dms

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Parasthetic drain spec generally is 30mA.

Dealer having to pay for a battery under warranty??? Whats to say something was wrong with the battery to begin with?

·
Member #804
5,539 Posts
Parasthetic drain spec generally is 30mA.

Dealer having to pay for a battery under warranty??? Whats to say something was wrong with the battery to begin with?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll have to take it back to the dealership. I just thought that MAYBE everyone had experienced this problem and already had a "Common Fix" for the issue. BUT it seems more related to just my car, so the dealer can get their hands on it AGAIN! :(

When I shut the car OFF, I make certain that the headlights are off (not on that stupid timer thing), Radio is off, blower off, its rediculous. I should be able to just turn the key off and have most or all of the accessories turn off.
I know the electronics are different, but I guess I'll just take it to the dealer.
I just don't want to have to "Push-Start" this obese Pig! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the ideas! :)

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Rocket said:
I just don't want to have to "Push-Start" this obese Pig! :rolleyes:
HAHAHAHA, I know what you mean. I was sitting in my Grand Am this morning, warming it up and waiting for my son, and staring at the back of my GTO, all snugly wrapped in its fitted cover.

The GTO has a HUGE ASS, wide and tall and bulging at the wheel wells. I really hadn't noticed, before this morning, that the back end is so BIG. Maybe it's the cover, like hot pants on a heavy woman, that made it look that way, but DAMN, what a beast. :D

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I just picked up the GOAT from the dealership on Thurs. (Now everyone can call me an idiot for this next sentence or two) When we went to pick it up the battery was dead. They charged it up while we did all the paper work and it fired right up. I did insist that they replace the battery but they assured me it would be ok, you know charge while running etc. So I took it home ran it Fri to and from work (40 miles each way) and went out that night (another 50 miles or so) Brought it home and charged the battery from 7 AM Sat till 11 AM and drove it off (about 30 miles) Went to start her up about 15 minutes later and it cranked REALLY SLOW then started up. Drove it a bit and shut her off. A few hours later went to start her up again and the same thing happened. Started to turn over, all kinds of lights went on then looked like it was gonna die then all of a sudden it roared to life. So I got a little worried but it didn't seem like a battery problem, maybe starter, relay, or loose connection. So I went to start it Sunday and it barely cranked then started. I drove for a few minutes and it stopped running while I was driving, engine cut out and I panicked. Took awhile to get it started but I got her running. Anyway brought it home and charged it all day. I just went out to start it and it fired right up. To end this long story, if anyone is still reading this, I'm taking her to the dealer in the morning for a new battery. I'll let ya know what happens.

Could it be a loose wire? Bad alternator? Or just a bad battery?

For those who have had this issue and replaced with an optima has the problem gone away?
Thanks

·
Snagging your fish!!!
157 Posts
don't know without testing, but have the tech look at the amps that the alternator is putting out. It sounds like you may have a bad alternator, and or it is just starting to fail. Have the tech check the grounds too. Grounds on cars are VERY important, due to heavy electrical loads that are needed for todays cars. Also, have the tech do a load test on the battery, and check to see how many amps the starter is drawing.It could be too that the starter is starting to fail also, with the really slow cranking that you described. Keep us posted on how things go.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts