LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
got rice?
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has seen a goat with a battery in the trunk. If so, how clean was the install? I ask this because I've done this to all my cars and noticed a nice diffirence in traction.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If I put my battery in the trunk there would be no room for my golf clubs

·
Registered
250 Posts
Battery not in trunk, but under.

Big Kahuna said:
If I put my battery in the trunk there would be no room for my golf clubs
I haven't done this yet, but plan on it. If someone does it b4 me, just give me credit for the idea. :hail:
There is plenty of room under the trunk on the right side of the car to put the battery. Just use an Optima so you can lay it on it's side, and make a bracket to hold it up against the trunk floor. Should be even better for handling, because it's lower. :)
If you like sleepers, hollow out the stock battery, and run the cables from the battery in the back to the front battery terminals. Nobody will ever know, since the rear battery will be cover by the plastic panel under the trunk. :cool:

·
Registered
835 Posts
That is an interesting idea, and I agree the performance would be improved (although slightly). I will investigate this, I like cheap mods that improve performance even if it is only slightly.

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
lively said:
I haven't done this yet, but plan on it. If someone does it b4 me, just give me credit for the idea. :hail:
There is plenty of room under the trunk on the right side of the car to put the battery. Just use an Optima so you can lay it on it's side, and make a bracket to hold it up against the trunk floor. Should be even better for handling, because it's lower. :)
If you like sleepers, hollow out the stock battery, and run the cables from the battery in the back to the front battery terminals. Nobody will ever know, since the rear battery will be cover by the plastic panel under the trunk. :cool:
Ummmm.... what if you need a jump?

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Huntress said:
If you did leave the standard battery carcass there and connected the cables from the new one to it, I think you would be able to jump the same way as normal by attaching the jumper cables to the terminal of the carcass and the block.

You would be joining the circuit just at a different point (halfway between the battery and the engine rather than at the battery).

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
isszy said:
If you did leave the standard battery carcass there and connected the cables from the new one to it, I think you would be able to jump the same way as normal by attaching the jumper cables to the terminal of the carcass and the block.

You would be joining the circuit just at a different point (halfway between the battery and the engine rather than at the battery).
Gotcha! :D

·
Sensible Contributor
1,439 Posts
Huntress said:
If you didn't run it through the carcass, then you would have a problem ...

·
Registered
250 Posts
Jump not a problem.

isszy said:
If you didn't run it through the carcass, then you would have a problem ...
Not really, you can get rempte terminals to mount under the hood from places like Jegs or Summit, some cars even have them from the factory.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
If you bother to do this and you want to be able to race, do be sure and make the setup according to NHRA rules (they require some interesting things including a cut-off switch).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Finally got around to it.

lively said:
I did this a couple of weeks ago. Hung the Optima upside down with 4 pieces of 1/2" all thread and a piece of 1/4 aluminum. Ran #2 welding cable up to the stock positive battery cable, and grounded the negative to the body in the rear. Car feels more neutral in corners.
Drags tonight and Autocross tomorrow to really see how it helps.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
lively said:
I did this a couple of weeks ago. Hung the Optima upside down with 4 pieces of 1/2" all thread and a piece of 1/4 aluminum. Ran #2 welding cable up to the stock positive battery cable, and grounded the negative to the body in the rear. Car feels more neutral in corners.
Drags tonight and Autocross tomorrow to really see how it helps.

Make sure to FUSE or breaker the Positive line at the battery, if something pinched or cut the positive lead you would get a 600+ amp spot weld and shower of sparks.

·
Registered
250 Posts
mlc said:
where's the pictures :confused: :(
Sorry, haven't taken any. Seems like every time I do a mod, I'm rushing to finish up for one reason or another. Will try to get some of the battery soon.

·
Unregistered User
524 Posts
Can I get a free post too?

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
If you bother to do this and you want to be able to race, do be sure and make the setup according to NHRA rules (they require some interesting things including a cut-off switch).
I know this is old, and it doesn't even apply to the GTO really... but the new "Pontiac G8" has the battery in the trunk from the factory.

Two things come to mind :

1. How does NHRA handle it with cars that have the battery in trunk as the factory location.

2. Since the G8 is a "next gen" of the GTO (but in 4 door version), I wonder how easy and if it is cost prohibitive (won't know yet) to use the GM parts from the G8 to relocate the battery in a GTO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts