LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Battled a Trans AM to a draw...

I was just mindin my own bizzznezz when I was cruising to work in Chatsworth. It's a 43 mile one way commute through downtown Los Angeles and I get to see just about every make and model of vehicle available!

I had taken the Reseda exit off the 118 and cruised down to Devonshire for my morning java and baggle stop. Sitting at a light behind a mustang, I looked to the right and the driver of a '98 Bright Red Firebird was leaving nose prints on his windows getting the goat the once over. Must have been the first time he had every seen one since he was leaving tongue marks all over his windows! I thought to myself... can the GTO hold it's own or even take him?

The light turned green and I pulled in behind the Firebird. He quickly cut left in front of the 'stang with me following and off we go.

He floors it and I'm staying with him one car length directly behind. I think this un-nerved him because he really gets on it and I accelerate to keep pace. No traffic in front of us as we pass Winneka and we're passing thru 110 mph.

My turn off is coming up rapidly and I glance at the speedo... it's holding at 120 mph. He ain't worth a speeding ticket nor missing my morning cup of java. I let off the pedal and he keeps blasting ahead into traffic while I start wrestling the goat to slow down and make my turn.

NOT! I blow through my intersection (knowing the people in the coffee shop are watching these two crazed drivers blasting by at ungodly speeds) and fight the goat enough to make a turn in the next block and back track to my watering hole smug in the fact it was a draw and he probably wondered why this new goat was stuck to his tail! :hail:

·
Registered
98 Posts
redgtosamurai said:
I was just mindin my own bizzznezz when I was cruising to work in Chatsworth. It's a 43 mile one way commute through downtown Los Angeles and I get to see just about every make and model of vehicle available!

I had taken the Reseda exit off the 118 and cruised down to Devonshire for my morning java and baggle stop. Sitting at a light behind a mustang, I looked to the right and the driver of a '98 Bright Red Firebird was leaving nose prints on his windows getting the goat the once over. Must have been the first time he had every seen one since he was leaving tongue marks all over his windows! I thought to myself... can the GTO hold it's own or even take him?

The light turned green and I pulled in behind the Firebird. He quickly cut left in front of the 'stang with me following and off we go.

He floors it and I'm staying with him one car length directly behind. I think this un-nerved him because he really gets on it and I accelerate to keep pace. No traffic in front of us as we pass Winneka and we're passing thru 110 mph.

My turn off is coming up rapidly and I glance at the speedo... it's holding at 120 mph. He ain't worth a speeding ticket nor missing my morning cup of java. I let off the pedal and he keeps blasting ahead into traffic while I start wrestling the goat to slow down and make my turn.

NOT! I blow through my intersection (knowing the people in the coffee shop are watching these two crazed drivers blasting by at ungodly speeds) and fight the goat enough to make a turn in the next block and back track to my watering hole smug in the fact it was a draw and he probably wondered why this new goat was stuck to his tail! :hail:

Firebirds are 6 bangers :slap: :p

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GTOsoon said:
Firebirds are 6 bangers :slap: :p
:gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

That's why he topped out at 120.

·
duh
1,214 Posts
GTOdriver7 said:
yes. please tell me it was atelast a TA.
Or a Firebird formula.......

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GTOdriver7 said:
yes. please tell me it was atelast a TA.
It was a TA. :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

·
Registered
980 Posts
Sweetness

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GTOdriver7 said:
so it was ateast a V8 right?
Yes... a BIG V8. :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WKDWS6 said:
R u sure you dont want to change it to something else? Maybe it was a Viper?
LOL
Nope... it was a red TA. I was on his butt for a couple of miles and it did not say Firebird. Just making sure everyone is awake! :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

:gr_jest:

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
redgtosamurai said:

this is all good info cause I thought we could take these easily.......I will be more careful in the future choosing my Goatfeed

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dbluegoat said:
this is all good info cause I thought we could take these easily.......I will be more careful in the future choosing my Goatfeed
The late model T/A's turn a bit over 500 horses. :hail:

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Sounds like fun. I'm wondering what a LS1 fbody will do from a dig against the GTO (M6 vs M6 etc). Stock LS1 fbody is gonna be a even match or slightly faster than us. With the way it looks you guys are even and the holeshot would win the race. Depending on driver i'd say he probably has a better chance of sticking the holeshot with a solid rear but it's hard to say.

Good race.

Oh, and what do you need coffee for after a 120mph blast down public streets......that craps like crack for performance enthusiasts like me.

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yellow Jacket M6 said:
500hp TA's, ummmm NOOOOOOO! Not even close stock. :bs:
I had in mind those I've seen at the local All Pontiac Shows that are modded heavily. You hardly every see a modded T/A in Los Angeles on a daily basis. Stock T/A's are also far and few between.

As side note... I haven't seen that T/A since that morning run. Hope I didn't scare him off! :gr_jest: :gr_jest: :gr_jest:

·
US Monaro-IBM/B/M6-K&N
739 Posts
Maybe 500 Shetland Ponies ..

Yellow Jacket M6 said:
500hp TA's, ummmm NOOOOOOO! Not even close stock. :bs:
I concur with YellowJacket M6 ... a stock T/A, even a late model, would have about 315hp. .. but 500 hp? :-off the

.. WKDWS6, what say you, Bro? 315hp - 325hp stock?

.. And depending on the year, the T/A's do say "FireBird", which brings up my question .. about what model year was this T/A, there RedGTOsamurai? . . . Glad you're enjoyin' your Goat!

·
The Ghost & the Darkness
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Big Blue Daddy said:
I concur with YellowJacket M6 ... a stock T/A, even a late model, would have about 315hp. .. but 500 hp? :-off the

.. WKDWS6, what say you, Bro? 315hp - 325hp stock?

.. And depending on the year, the T/A's do say "FireBird", which brings up my question .. about what model year was this T/A, there RedGTOsamurai? . . . Glad you're enjoyin' your Goat!
With his styling (since I only saw his butt) he was a '99 or later. He was a T/A since the '99 and later didn't have them spelled out on the butt. The standard Firebird with the V6 has Firebird on the butt (unless I'm saddly mistaken).

Stock T/A's aren't equal to the goat but every T/A I've seen that had the V8 was heavily modified. The one I tailed acted modified in every way but then again... it was too easy hanging on his tail. :sneaky:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts