LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Su Sussudio
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you live in the bay area, have you been pulled over by cops for having tint on all the side windows including front side windows?

the # of cops around my area is heavily increasing and they're becoming increasingly pesky and profile expensive and fast cars more than they've ever done before. I wanna know if the cops around here really care about window tint..

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
I can't comment on Cupertino, but the major metropolitan areas (Oakland/San Jose/The City) don't really have the time to enforce "little" laws like that. It's when you get in the suburbs that you'll start to get noticed by cops with alot more free time on their hands.

I had all my windows tinted on my old Iroc Z28 and only got problems in cities like Livermore and Discovery Bay. As a result, I haven’t tinted my front 2 windows in the goat because I don’t want the hassle. But I’ve seen several that have them tinted and when asked about it they haven’t had any problems yet. This is all just my experiences though, so take that how you wish.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I got pulled over in Merced a few months ago by a cop who basically said it looked like I was going to fast. Then he asked if I had tinted my windows and I said "only a little to keep the sun off my face" :angel: . He shook his head and told me to remove the tint and slow down. No ticket for me :turbonaug . Of course I never removed the tint, I just roll down my windows when I see a cop. :thumbs:

·
Su Sussudio
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cool. thanks guys :)

and yeah, Blackbat, most of my commute to my highschool will actually be in San Jose (i'm on the border of Cupertino and Sunnyvale, and I have to go to Saratoga Ave. in San Jose). I think I'll end up taking the freeway, instead of city streets, because of the far lower chance of being pulled over for tint. Plus, if I see a cop, as GTO fan pointed out, I guess I could always roll down the windows :angel: haha

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
71 Posts
Last year, while sitting at a restaurent in Fremont, I saw a motor cop pull over a guy in a Prelude with limo tint on all his side and rear windows. The cop made him pull the tint off the driver's and passenger's windows.

·
Su Sussudio
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
again, thanks guys. I believe I'm just going to roll down the windows most of the time. I usually have a good eye for cops anyways, so hopefully it will work out. haha

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
I envy all you guys, as I REALLY want to put some tint on my front windows. I have 5% on all 3 rear windows and I love it. I'll probably break down and do the fronts eventually, as not only will it help with the sun and interior exposure but it just looks so damn cool. ;)

·
PANCAKE CITY
1,622 Posts
got Tint all the way around week after I bought the GOAT 5% in the rear and rear sides and 10% in the front.

same goes for my 04 Denali

No problems

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Blackbat said:
I envy all you guys, as I REALLY want to put some tint on my front windows. I have 5% on all 3 rear windows and I love it. I'll probably break down and do the fronts eventually, as not only will it help with the sun and interior exposure but it just looks so damn cool. ;)
I would recommend putting a lighter tint on the front windows, such as 50%. It really cuts down on sun coming into the car, but its much less noticeable to the police.

·
I said I was quiet...not nice
473 Posts
About 8 years ago I had a '92 Vette that had a dark (not sure of the %) tint on all windows. I was pulled over in Los Gatos for it and given a fix-it ticket. I removed the side-window tint soon after.

I had the rear windows on the GTO tinted the day after I bought it, but didn't do the sides/front due to the memory and the desire to avoid the hastle.

The local laws and law-enforcement habits vary too much, and I didn't want to bother with worrying about it, or worse my wife having to deal with it when she drives the Goat.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Tinting the front window and/or driver/passenger side windows is a license for cops to pull you over ANYTIME they want. IMO it is not worth it. I just tint the rear 3 in CA.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
I got busted on my SHO last year in San Mateo. I did have tint on it for 12 years. Guy was being a jerk for nothing.

I had my SFPD friend sign it off that day and paid the 10 bucks and didn't remove the tint.

·
73 Plymouth Barracuda
695 Posts
I was pulled over for the tint on my t-bird a few years ago. I removed the tint got the ticket fixed, and afterwards had the tint put back on. I have tint all around on the gto, I'll take my chances.

·
I'm a steamroller of truth...
1,857 Posts
I've been pulled over 4 TIMES for dark tint. Each time (except the last) I had the lightest tint on the side glass and 1-2 steps darker on the rear side and rear window. Once ea. in Sunnyvale, Los Altos, Cupertino, (S.Clara Cnty. Sherriff) and Mountain View. Each time got a fix-it ticket. Had to get it removed in S'vale, L'Altos & M.View, but got the ticket signed for in Cup. (I had a friend who was a Cnty. Sherriff!).

Be prepared to get pulled over no matter what you do. If the cop is nice, he'll let you slide. Larger municipalities don't usually worry unless you're doing something stupid at the same time. Smaller ones look at it as a revenue (read tax) stream! :bs:

The last time in M. View, I was pulling out of a 7-11 parking lot on my way back to work from my lunch hr. The M. View Police yard just happens to be across the street and as I was pulling onto the street, a motor cop was pulling out to go the opposite direction. He made an immed. "huey" and pulled me over! But to my detriment, I deserved it. Not only was my side glass tinted on my '99 Dakota R/T, I'd also had the windshield COMPLETELY tinted w/50%!! At night, all you could see inside was my white knuckles on the steering wheel!! Cool!!

·
New home track: Nürburgring
3,590 Posts
I got a fix-it ticket in Castro Valley for 35% tint on my old car. I've the got the same percent on my GTO. I just roll down the windows around cops.

·
Su Sussudio
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i'm never gonna have tint on the windshield, but I think I'll have 5% everywhere else, and just roll the windows down around cops. anyways, someone I know is gonna be an officer here soon, so I'll get him to write it off once he's on the force. I'll hold off on the tint for a few months until he makes it on the force. :)

·
Speed Junkie
1,312 Posts
Don't be selfish, offer him up to all of us! ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts