LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2004 Pontiac GTO (180,000 miles)
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of new age GTOs have belt squeak from time to time (including formerly mine). I found that I changed the idler pulleys and belt tensioner pulleys and the belts, and the squeak went away instantly. There are separate sets of idlers/tensioners for the main drive and ac compressor drive. The parts are cheap.

Use non-hollow torque bits to remove. Hollow torque bits wouldn't cut it...

·
Administrator
8,257 Posts
Yup, that’s how you solve those issues on almost every car out there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My dad owns a garage, and I haven't seen it as bad as with the GTO, despite it being a pretty good car as things go. Maybe they had a bad batch of tensioner pulleys in the batch for the original assemblies....

Maybe they didn't test it in the rainy northeast as much as dry Australia lol.

·
Worthless reject member
40,155 Posts
lol, it's not? maybe he's only done a handful of high mile GTO's or poorly maintained ones?

i dunno, i don't have belt issues. i did with my 04 and my 25% UD balancer, because i needed a slightly shorter a/c belt, but that certainly wasn't a factory design flaw. also documented if you search these forums.

belts and pulleys should be changed on a regular basis, with quality replacement parts, anyhow. they only last so long. replacement tensioners should be a quality part, as well. cheap replacements WILL wear out quicker and fail to control the belt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I've had one of these cars since 2005, and yes, alot of them do. It's pretty rare on LS1s.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've had one of these cars since 2005, and yes, alot of them do. It's pretty rare on LS1s, or other LS muscle cars. You don't see alot of LS Camaros or Corvettes running around with squeaking belts.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If anyone is considering replacing the pulleys on either the main belt tensioner or A/C tensioner, then just replace the entire tensioner as a unit. I made the mistake of only replacing the pulleys on the A/C side and the squealing continued. I pulled it back apart and replaced the tensioner and it has been quiet ever since. So yes, even if you do get proper tension, it could still be worn and squeal. Lesson learned.

·
Worthless reject member
40,155 Posts
Proper belt tension at rest and the ability to maintain it with the engine running is not the same. The spring will weaken over time and the tensioner needs to be replaced. It is a wear item.

I got into the practice of just replacing everything as general maintenance. Tensioners and idler pullets all get replaced, as well as the belt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts