LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
Black 2004 Pontiac GTO (180,000 miles)
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2004 GTO I used as a daily driver for a long time, and finally retired for the weekends. For fun, and general safety reasons thinking about replacing all the brake lines, calibers, and rotors with a big brake kit.

I'd prefer to get a kit premade that will bolt-in, rather than piecemeal a CTS-V set or 2005/2006 brake set. Who makes a good 4 wheel brake kit for the GTO, with new calipers, brake lines, roters, etc. that will bolt-in, stop fast, look good, and be reliable for street driving?

I have seen Wilwood and Baer kits. Any others that people like long term? Which kit? Baer has quite a few options itself... I know there were a few other aftermarket brake kits, but I'm not sure if the other options are still available in 2023.

I have the bigger 2005 rims on it, so the clearance shouldn't be an issue for a big brake kit.

· Registered
1,724 Posts
Willwood or baer. Or harrop if you can find one but not gonna be easy to get parts later unless you have all the reference numbers.
If there are options, I'd get 1 piece rotors unless you like dealing with 2pc. Also doubt any of the kits will stop faster.

· The Entenmann's Shim-Sham
26,134 Posts
The last time I checked, the 05/06 brakes are about as bolt-on as you can get.

Either way, I'll take those 04 front caliper brackets.

· Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,615 Posts
I will be the first to tell you that if you buy an off the shelf kit from Brembo, Baer or Harrop, you are going to pay an absolute fortune. The pieced together CTSv factory Brembo kit will provide the same upgraded feel you would expect from the kits for less than half the cost, and you can get cheaper yet depending on rotor and pad choices. I was all in for the custom brackets, the brand new GM Brembo calipers, the Raybestos rotors, the PowerStop pads, stainless steel brake hoses, fluid and speed bleeders for around $2200. That $2200 also includes red paint, clear coat and GTO lettering for the calipers and of course, my labor. The kit that was linked above is $3700 just for the fronts, my $2200 covered front and rear. Again, this is your car and your money but I’d rather go the DIY route and put the saved money away or put it towards other modifications. I did damn near full suspension, the brakes, new Michelin tires and widened rear stock 18” wheels for around the same or less than the cost of a front and rear brake kit.

The custom brackets are still available and you can source the brake parts from wherever you want. The part numbers are all over the forum and the brackets come with very detailed instructions, although there isn’t really much to have to figure out. Remove the front dust shields, cut the rear ones for caliper clearance, and the new front rotors will have to be clearanced to fit over the front hubs. After that it is as simple as changing brakes and bleeding the system. One forum member did videos of the swap and there are a couple others on YouTube for you to reference should you decide to look into it more.

· Registered
Black 2004 Pontiac GTO (180,000 miles)
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. What do people think of the Harrop's kit? Does it come with brake lines? I think one of my front caliipers is very slightly binding and causing a shake at highway speeds, plus my brake lines are old so I'm definitely thinking about doing something. Does it use the stock mounting brackets?

How is the Brembo fronts? Is there a Brembo rear kit?

· Seriously?
2,615 Posts
Cool. What do people think of the Harrop's kit? Does it come with brake lines? I think one of my front caliipers is very slightly binding and causing a shake at highway speeds, plus my brake lines are old so I'm definitely thinking about doing something. Does it use the stock mounting brackets?

How is the Brembo fronts? Is there a Brembo rear kit?
JHP did carry the Harrop kit but their website was acting up for me so I can’t see the kit. Look it up but if I remember correctly it was almost $7000. I don’t know if Brembo makes a rear kit or not.
Probably going Baer or other brand myself int he future. I'm not a fan of the washer kits, having the machine the center bore or V logo since it's not a V car.
With the low mileage I assume you put on your car, you won’t be replacing brakes like a daily driver would. I’d say you would bore the rotors once and be done for a long time. I don’t anticipate replacing my pads and rotors for a very long time. You can easily strip the calipers like most of us did and paint them whatever color you want, apply the GTO vinyl or whatever you want, clear them and call them good. Look at this way… the money you save on the DIY kit could go to towards more spare parts.
You might need to upgrade to larger wheels though for some of these kits?
Most likely gonna need 18s at a minimum. I don’t know if Damian was successful at getting the stock 17s to fit with his kit. I remember him trying or contemplating trying.

· It's only cosmetic...
810 Posts
I will be the first to tell you that if you buy an off the shelf kit from Brembo, Baer or Harrop, you are going to pay an absolute fortune. The pieced together CTSv factory Brembo kit will provide the same upgraded feel you would expect from the kits for less than half the cost, and you can get cheaper yet depending on rotor and pad choices. I was all in for the custom brackets, the brand new GM Brembo calipers, the Raybestos rotors, the PowerStop pads, stainless steel brake hoses, fluid and speed bleeders for around $2200. That $2200 also includes red paint, clear coat and GTO lettering for the calipers and of course, my labor. The kit that was linked above is $3700 just for the fronts, my $2200 covered front and rear. Again, this is your car and your money but I’d rather go the DIY route and put the saved money away or put it towards other modifications. I did damn near full suspension, the brakes, new Michelin tires and widened rear stock 18” wheels for around the same or less than the cost of a front and rear brake kit.

The custom brackets are still available and you can source the brake parts from wherever you want. The part numbers are all over the forum and the brackets come with very detailed instructions, although there isn’t really much to have to figure out. Remove the front dust shields, cut the rear ones for caliper clearance, and the new front rotors will have to be clearanced to fit over the front hubs. After that it is as simple as changing brakes and bleeding the system. One forum member did videos of the swap and there are a couple others on YouTube for you to reference should you decide to look into it more.
Yep. The company I bought my calipers from has full front and rear sets in silver come up for $1500, new. Other colors go as high as $2500.

I'm very happy with mine. They work great and look nice. (Even with the V logo)

· Been here for a long time...
5,505 Posts
I still have my 6 piston brackets that I bought an eternity ago. Maybe one day I'll round up the parts to actually install them....

· Premium Member
2006 GTO IBM 6 Speed
977 Posts
With the low mileage I assume you put on your car, you won’t be replacing brakes like a daily driver would. I’d say you would bore the rotors once and be done for a long time. I don’t anticipate replacing my pads and rotors for a very long time. You can easily strip the calipers like most of us did and paint them whatever color you want, apply the GTO vinyl or whatever you want, clear them and call them good. Look at this way… the money you save on the DIY kit could go to towards more spare parts.
Current I don't drive the car that often but the end goal is a road race/drag event car. I don't want to have to look for a machinist each time I need rotors.

· Seriously?
2,615 Posts
I don’t know where I got the $7k for the Harrop brakes but JHP has them for $3500. Must have been something else I was looking at. Doesn’t look like it comes with braided lines so figure another couple hundred for those. It says they will fit the stock 17s so that will save money by not having to replace your wheels.

· Seriously?
2,615 Posts
Current I don't drive the car that often but the end goal is a road race/drag event car. I don't want to have to look for a machinist each time I need rotors.
If you are handy with a router you can do it yourself. I didn’t want to chance it so I paid the $50 for a machine shop to do it.

· Premium Member
938 Posts
If you are handy with a router you can do it yourself. I didn’t want to chance it so I paid the $50 for a machine shop to do it.
You don't need to be that handy lol. Once you get the distance right you can't possibly bore them too big or out of round, etc

Reactions: WickedGoat

· Premium Member
938 Posts
JHP did carry the Harrop kit but their website was acting up for me so I can’t see the kit. Look it up but if I remember correctly it was almost $7000. I don’t know if Brembo makes a rear kit or not.

Most likely gonna need 18s at a minimum. I don’t know if Damian was successful at getting the stock 17s to fit with his kit. I remember him trying or contemplating trying.
I have a pic somewhere of some 4 piston calipers inside a GTO 17. I think it uses Volvo rotors?

· Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
1,489 Posts
I still have my 6 piston brackets that I bought an eternity ago. Maybe one day I'll round up the parts to actually install them....
your going to need 20” wheels for a 6 piston? I know they get BIG.

the picture I posted above are 6 piston Brembo in a 20” wheel; they barely clear lol

my car is a 4300lb tank though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts