LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,617 Posts
The 18” stock wheels will clear the 6 piston GM Brembos. I don’t know about the designed GTO kit by Brembo or Baer or Wilwood. Pretty sure @evsnova74 is running 6 pots on his 18” wheels…

I am running the 4 pistons because I felt the 6 pistons were overkill for my usage and it adds more money to the project. You’ll still come in cheaper than the BBK offerings however. Anyone upgrading an 04 GTO from stock brakes will instantly notice the difference in braking. It is still by far one of my favorite modifications for looks and function. There is no lack of confidence braking from triple digit speeds.

Reactions: Rob

· Premium Member
938 Posts
Yes I'm running the stock 18s with 6 pistons, I admit I went with em strictly for looks. It's tight, you can't even have wheel weights on the barrel.

· Wol Gemut
4,698 Posts
I have the Baer 6P they clear without issue on 19" and I believe but have not checked they would on 18" oem wheels. I did not do the install myself because some aspects are over my head, but the installer did mention a number of times how perfect the fitment was and therefore he felt the install was easy for him. but as noted above, the custom fitment comes with a price.

· Premium Member
2006 GTO IBM 6 Speed
978 Posts
With the low mileage I assume you put on your car, you won’t be replacing brakes like a daily driver would. I’d say you would bore the rotors once and be done for a long time. I don’t anticipate replacing my pads and rotors for a very long time. You can easily strip the calipers like most of us did and paint them whatever color you want, apply the GTO vinyl or whatever you want, clear them and call them good. Look at this way… the money you save on the DIY kit could go to towards more spare parts.
Damn you I'm having second thoughts. 🤪

I still don't want to look for a machinist each time though. It's so expensive to do business in Derpifornia that most people tend not to take small jobs.

· It's only cosmetic...
810 Posts

I still don't want to look for a machinist each time though. It's so expensive to do business in Derpifornia that most people tend not to take small jobs.
That's why I went with the two-piece rotor. Replacement rings are available.

· Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
2,617 Posts

@evsnova74 machined his with a router. You could always find a junk rotor to try it on. Believe me when I tell you, the CTSv brakes are phenomenal on the GTO and worth it.

· Premium Member
938 Posts
The key is that burr bits have a 1/4" shank, same as a router bit. Get a cheap laminate router, appropriate size burr. Start small, don't take off too much material at once. "Creep up on it".

· Pontiac Fanboy
1,832 Posts
How often does one really change front rotors due to wear?

6 piston Brembos are so good, I did them twice. You should too.
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

The Camaro rotor kit clears 18" sporty wheels, the big rotor kit is where you really need to work around the caliper.

· Premium Member
938 Posts
I've only got 2 summers on mine but it doesn't seem like I'm ever going to have to change the pads or rotors

21 - 34 of 34 Posts