LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
WILDMAN805
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am contemplating on adding a cam to my engine that already has a centrifugal supercharger. Some of the maggie owners are having good luck with them after a tune. What kind of numbers should I expect without new heads. Looking for a grind that will pass emissions here in CA. I am hoping a cam would add 30 more horses and thinking of adding some kook's LT's. WOnder if doign both would bump my numbers up to 540 or so. Any of you FI guys with info on cams would be great. Thanks! :gears:

·
Member: Black Sheep Squadron
4,065 Posts
I love my cam... you probably want a reverse split cam on 117 LSA.

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
reverse splits work well for turbos.
standard splits work well for blowers, centri and roots.
LT's will most likely not pass CA smog.
get a mildish cam, like a GT2-3 or a TR224 or something similar.
JBA's and a nice catback will help the exhausties get out.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Steel Chicken said:
reverse splits work well for turbos.
standard splits work well for blowers, centri and roots.
LT's will most likely not pass CA smog.
get a mildish cam, like a GT2-3 or a TR224 or something similar.
JBA's and a nice catback will help the exhausties get out.
No "most likely" about it. LT's will not pass smog in California period. They move the location of the stock cats, and that's a no-no and automatic failure. Actually they would eliminate the stock cats in most cases and convert from 4 to two cats (another no-no).

Jody

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
As for headers, LT's are not an option for smog inspections. JBA has the shorties, and rumor was Edlebrock either has some or is working on them.

A GT2-3 should easily net at least 20-30rwhp, and that is a very mild cam. if your goals are 30RWHP there are many options for you. EDC cut mine with a 224/232 600/600 on a 114, this cam made a huge difference in my midrange and pulled like a freight train all the way to red line. Can it pass smog, I am told on a good tune, it should. I did an idle tune according to an HP Tuner blog, can't hardly tell its there with a 900rpm Idle.

As part of your search contact flowtech and let EDC know your goals and expectations. I don't know of anyone on this board who was dissapointed from their results....

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
It's all in who you know.

Without paying a big chuck of $$$ to pass some places will pass you if you pass the tailpipe and they over look the visual.

Try to watch the overlap and the 220 or 224 will work well.

·
Oh my f*ck!
6,464 Posts
Strictly speaking, LTs will not pass smog. They will not pass visual inspection (this is due to it being illegal to relocate the cats). This is both a state and a Federal offense. However since most states don't have visual inspection, people get away with it.

Cams and heads also strictly speaking are not CARB legal. The only heads that are are the AFR ones (and that might only be for the 04 GTO).

:ftw:

EDIT
Oh and here's another that will spin your head for you...Aftermarket tuning isn't CARB legal either :) For example, the Maggie is only smog legal with the stock pulley and with the tuning they provide. What else...intakes aren't automatically legal...

Oh and now that I see you have a Vortech, you should really talk to 1stGoat about his Futral F7, he gained 53rwhp peak with Richard's tuning.

EDIT2
WTF are you worried about CARB anyway? Unless you bought your Goat used you have until 2011 before it has to be smogged the first time.

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
camcojb said:
No "most likely" about it. LT's will not pass smog in California period. They move the location of the stock cats, and that's a no-no and automatic failure. Actually they would eliminate the stock cats in most cases and convert from 4 to two cats (another no-no).

Jody
bribes for the win.
:ftw:

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
For everybody who says that LTs will not pass CA smog, you are all right. What is true though is that for a new year (I believe the poster's is a 2005 GTO) car, you have six years before it actually has to go to a smog shop. A smog abatement fee is included with you registration every year and is automatically tagged on! Therefore, You can do LTs and not worry about it for years unless you sell it in which you MUST smog it.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

Hope this was helpful.

Zach

·
Old Guys Rule
3,076 Posts
For what it is worth, all talk about extended time until our first inspection is true.......However we are all subject to roadside inspections at ANY time! There were some posts recently about a crackdown is SoCal due to all the street racing.....So my approach is to be as stealthy as possible here in CA!

I am rolling the dice on my Dart heads, as they do not have huge company Logo's all over them, and I doubt that mr. roadside CARB enforcer is going to get out his calipers and start measuring blower pullies.....but then again ya never know!

·
Ecc 10:2
725 Posts
b727pic said:
For what it is worth, all talk about extended time until our first inspection is true.......However we are all subject to roadside inspections at ANY time! There were some posts recently about a crackdown is SoCal due to all the street racing.....So my approach is to be as stealthy as possible here in CA!

I am rolling the dice on my Dart heads, as they do not have huge company Logo's all over them, and I doubt that mr. roadside CARB enforcer is going to get out his calipers and start measuring blower pullies.....but then again ya never know!
I share your concerns as well about roadside inspections.
But... according to ARB's website there is no "pass or fail" during these inspections. They call them "surveys" for the purpose of gathering emissions information. Supposedly you can refuse to participate. If they try to tell you otherwise, they are going beyond their authority. No enforcement function is currently authorized during these roadside "surveys".

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/Geninfo/Factsheets/Roadside_Emissions_Survey-Sep_2001.htm

·
GTO no more baaah!
1,150 Posts
Monster cam, LTs, do what ya want, but save the old parts to put it back to smog-stock in 4-5 years. You know you're gonna want a new car to play with before then, anyway!

·
Registered
699 Posts
SoCal Goat said:
I share your concerns as well about roadside inspections.
But... according to ARB's website there is no "pass or fail" during these inspections. They call them "surveys" for the purpose of gathering emissions information. Supposedly you can refuse to participate. If they try to tell you otherwise, they are going beyond their authority. No enforcement function is currently authorized during these roadside "surveys".

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPage.asp?Body=/Geninfo/Factsheets/Roadside_Emissions_Survey-Sep_2001.htm

That may be true of roadside inspections, I don't know for sure. But they now have a new law that allows them to pull you over and check under the hood with probable cause. Probable cause is up to the officers discretion, and is usually something minor like an aftermarket muffler. At that point they will see the headers (yes, the officers have now received training in what to spot like intakes, headers, throttle bodies, etc.). They then can either sieze the vehicle or write you a ticket to visit the smog referee, again up to his discretion.

The new law is aimed at curbing street racers and has seemed to affect imports more than domestics. But in California even a car like a 69 Camaro COULD be drawn into this.

Jody

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
Yes the DragNet is in full swing with more cities getting involved. It's also a money generator.

It's about a $200 ticket or $300 to bypass the Ref. Even if you provide all the CARB numbers you can still be sent to the Ref.

·
4,065 Posts
ddawson said:
Yes the DragNet is in full swing with more cities getting involved. It's also a money generator.

It's about a $200 ticket or $300 to bypass the Ref. Even if you provide all the CARB numbers you can still be sent to the Ref.

I went to the smog ref and passed with my 224-230 Cam. Of course the long tubes or AEM CAI wasnt on. But it's proven to be the biggest cam you can go and still pass smog.

FYI: It was a free vehicle inspection care of "Dragnet" here in Cali.

·
Premium Member
13,113 Posts
There are more Domestics getting caught now.

Tell us the whole story for educational purposes.

·
Born Again Goat
1,555 Posts
Synergy Motor Sport (Fremont, Ca) has a 226/230-114 that Rick has gotten thru emissions testing...

·
4,065 Posts
Rynez06 said:
reverse split on a blower car, are you crazy flash??

Hell yeah I am. Crazy is fun, cool, and its the new ANTI DRUG OF CHOICE.

I say go for it and see what happens

:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts