LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a related thread a little while back about octane in which Citgo was mentioned as not having the best gasoline for high performance cars.

I am curious what other people think about who has the BEST gasoline for high performance cars and why.

Several years ago I used to think Sunoco had because it had one of the highest octanes around and was what was called a real "clean" gasoline.

What are your opinions?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
We have Shell, Union76, Chevron and Tonoco. I used to use Texaco but they are all Shell now. I get so confused.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
That wasn't an answer that was a whine!!!

·
Comp Eliminator Goat Driver
2,345 Posts
My choices would be Shell or BP Amoco. However it would be nice to get an answer from a real Engineering type.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
Shell, BP/Amoco, Phillips, Mobil are all top notch.

Citgo is bad only in northern climates such as ours because they have to go to a RFG fuel in winter. That RFG can lead to oxidation therefore corroding the pintles on the injector causing a bad fuel spray onto the intake port/valve. It's not a high performance related problem, rather any fuel injection car problem.

There is actually a TSB we had at the dealership to run some GM fuel system cleaner (which was relabled Chevron Techron) and if not bad enough, will fix the problem.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
I've often wondered if gasoline differences made much of a difference. i use shell and BP mostly. As long as it's the highest octane they got i don't see worrying about it.

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
It's the other stuff in the gas than the octane rating. It all comes out of the same holding tanks though. One of my friends manages the midwest operations of KTM (a local fuel trucking firm). Your Shell, BP/Amoco, Phillps, Mobil take the fresh stuff off the top. Your Speedways, Citgo's, Mom and Pop gas stores, take it from the bottom where all the sediment and crud is.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
I think it varies by region as well. In Ohio, BP/Amoco is a outgrowth of the old Sohio (Standard Oil of Ohio). No serious car person ever used Sohio gas around here, and apparantly, not much has changed since BP took over. Several dealers I have spoken to mention waxy injector deposits from regular use of BP gas. I use Marathon here. They are Ohio based and run their own refinery. 93 in the GTO and 87 in the Probe. 3 ounces of Lucas Fuel Additive / 10 gal. So far, 0 Knock Retard events, according to EFIlive. In this area only Shell and Marathon do not use ethanol blend. Speedway is owned by Marathon, but they use 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Any experiences with Union 76? They have the three closest stations to my house.
:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts