LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want the biggest extra HP/Torque for my 2004 GTO with a heads/cam package without breaking the bank finacially and having to do major tuning to the car, etc.. to make it run right over stock.

Thanks for any info!! :D

·
Suffering Fools
15,347 Posts
Ported 243s are good for budget upgrade. Practically any cam is going to need a tune, and you'd need one to get the most out of the heads anyway.

Then if your car is an auto you may need to a new torque converter. The $$ adds up quick.

·
TACHNUP
2,310 Posts
Is your car an auto or M6? What's your definition of a "daily driver"? Is your daily drive stop and go traffic, smooth sailing on a freeway, etc?

·
Rockin the Bakken
321 Posts
Try to stay away from a lot of overlap. Add the durations, intake and exhaust @.050, divide by 4 then subtract the lobe separation angle and multiply this number by 2. This will give you the overlap in degrees. More overlap usually means a rougher idle. Good tuners can make cams with a lot of overlap run great.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The first time I did a heads and cam setup I was nervous about going to big on the cam or stall to ruin my daily driver.

I went with a 224/224 cam with a 114 lsa and a 2800 stall. I also had AFR 205 heads.

As soon as I picked up the car I knew I was to "conservative" on my cam/converter choice.

About 2 months ago I purchased another GTO and wanted to go with a bigger cam and higher stall than I did on the first one. I also decided to skip heads because a year after I did heads/cam on first one I wanted more and built a 408. The original heads I had weren't ideal with the bigger bore/cubes so I sold them at a loss to buy AFR 225cc heads.

This time I went with a TSP 228r cam with a 112 lsa and a 3200 stall. I don't daily drive this one, but definitely could. I could have gone bigger!

I think it comes down to tuning. Mine was tuned by Jim at Speed Inc. They have done so many cam installs on ls motors that cams that back in the day may have seemed big can now be tuned so well they can be daily driven.

So the main points I want to make to you are this...

Keep long term goals in mind...don't spend money on something you will replace because it doesn't fit your long term goals.

Don't go to small on the cam or to tight on the converter and wish you had gone bigger.

Take the car to the best tuner you can even if it means traveling a bit to do so.

·
Is that FWD?
1,262 Posts
My heads/cam specs are in my signature, but it drives great for a daily driver, it rocks back and forth some, but you need a tune no matter what. The power increase is awesome, but still drives basically stock when driving lightly.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If planning aftermarket - AFR 210 heads would do the trick.

If on a budget, a set of tweaked 799/243 heads and this camshaft kit...

-> StreetSweeper-TQ <-

How would the 210 heads be with that camshaft you linked? How much extra HP/Torque should I expect from a setup like that?

To be honest, I'm really a noob at this stuff. Just looking to add some really nice power to my '04 A4 without breaking the bank. I'm also limited when it comes to great shops, tuners in my area. There aren't really any great ones I know in my area so I don't want to get to indepth with things.

Would I need a stall converter for max benefits on the A4 or would changing the heads and cam to that setup be good with everything else stock?

At the moment I am completely stock other than a Diablo hand tuner, which doesn't do much at all, if anything.

Maybe I would be better off going the supercharger route??

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
I'm also limited when it comes to great shops, tuners in my area. There aren't really any great ones I know in my area so I don't want to get to indepth with things.
Listen to the advice you've been given on the tuner. You've said you don't want to break the bank twice now but the tune isn't the place you want to cheap out on no matter what H/C package you go with. Do what it takes to find a great tuner or I promise you'll regret it in the long run.

·
Is that FWD?
1,262 Posts
My 04 A4 picked up about 125 rwhp with heads/cam/fast, etc. I still have the stock torque converter. The power increase was more than I expected, but you will need a tune with any heads/cam setup.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
How would the 210 heads be with that camshaft you linked? How much extra HP/Torque should I expect from a setup like that?

To be honest, I'm really a noob at this stuff. Just looking to add some really nice power to my '04 A4 without breaking the bank. I'm also limited when it comes to great shops, tuners in my area. There aren't really any great ones I know in my area so I don't want to get to indepth with things.

Would I need a stall converter for max benefits on the A4 or would changing the heads and cam to that setup be good with everything else stock?

At the moment I am completely stock other than a Diablo hand tuner, which doesn't do much at all, if anything.

Maybe I would be better off going the supercharger route??
First thing to do is make a plan and stick to it. The more times you change your mind, the more money you'll waste.

In terms of the entire combination, set the goals, stick to it and the end result will be impressive.

Naturally aspirated usually is the best bang for the buck when a budget is the number one concern. Any form of forced induction has the mandated peripherals such an expensive fuel system and aftermarket engine management that can double or triple the initial cost.

When you're ready, just contact me through the FlowTech Induction web site.

:patriot:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First thing to do is make a plan and stick to it. The more times you change your mind, the more money you'll waste.

In terms of the entire combination, set the goals, stick to it and the end result will be impressive.

Naturally aspirated usually is the best bang for the buck when a budget is the number one concern. Any form of forced induction has the mandated peripherals such an expensive fuel system and aftermarket engine management that can double or triple the initial cost.

When you're ready, just contact me through the FlowTech Induction web site.

:patriot:
Thank You!

I would love to gain 100 plus HP to the rear wheels and still have it be a reliable daily driver that responded great under normal driving conditions.

If you could list/PM me everything I would need for a killer head/cam swap that would be awesome.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Thank You!

I would love to gain 100 plus HP to the rear wheels and still have it be a reliable daily driver that responded great under normal driving conditions.

If you could list/PM me everything I would need for a killer head/cam swap that would be awesome.

Thanks
Easy - get me through the site: Info (at) FlowTechInduction (dot) com

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 04 A4 picked up about 125 rwhp with heads/cam/fast, etc. I still have the stock torque converter. The power increase was more than I expected, but you will need a tune with any heads/cam setup.
What setup did you run?

·
Is that FWD?
1,262 Posts
What setup did you run?
Here is my setup, I have added 3200 stall since last update on this thread, but I do daily drive it in summer when weather is nice.

Engine Mods: Livernois Stage III LS6 (243) heads/cam | Cam - [email protected], Lift .568", LSA 114
Fast LSXr 102mm | LPE 100MM MAF | 105MM Accufab TB
SvedeSpeed OTRCAI | JBA Shorty Headers | JBA Mids w/cats | JBA Split Catback

Drivetrain : | DSS CF Driveshaft | Gforce Half Shafts | Inner Axle Stubs
3200 Vigilante Single Disc

Here is idle clip.

Reactions: Kfxguy and vanrah

·
Is that FWD?
1,262 Posts
Just want the biggest extra HP/Torque for my 2004 GTO with a heads/cam package without breaking the bank finacially and having to do major tuning to the car, etc.. to make it run right over stock.

Thanks for any info!! :D
If you do any heads/cam you will need a tune no matter what or it will not run or idle. Tunes are about $500 or so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts