LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what headlight bulbs I should upgrade in my 2006. I like the bluish looking ones cause they look cool, but I've heard that doesn't mean they are better.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just curious what headlight bulbs I should upgrade in my 2006. I like the bluish looking ones cause they look cool, but I've heard that doesn't mean they are better.
Blue is the color temperature, 6500 Kelvin is equivalent to sunlight, 3500K is something for the family of bedroom. Do you want to be cool or would you rather stay between the ditches at midnight in the rain?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lmao your absolutely right. I want them to be for keeping it on the road. Lol. I just seen they looked cool in the blue and wanted to know if they were good for visibility.

·
Is that FWD?
1,101 Posts
I bought these 6K Led Conversion kit. Best bulbs and brightness, easy plug and play and adapter fits perfect inside bulb housing behind the cap.

I also did same with Fog light bulbs, 6k.

·
Freedom Fighter
770 Posts

·
Worthless reject member
40,708 Posts
there was a discussion on this forum a while ago.

headlight assemblies are designed to take the position of the light emitting source into account. changing to a different style bulb that has a filiment in a different orientation or position, using HID or LED, will slightly change this point, and it matters. it will change the way the light is distributed in the headlight pattern.

LED's have shown to not cast light as far out, although close up they are significantly brighter. Getting a higher performing halogen in the stock form factor is my recommendation, because our housings were designed to use them. Silverstar ultras are supposedly one of the brightest bulbs. there was some talk about HIR bulbs in the past being significantly brighter than standard halogens as well, but i don't hear anything about them these days.

·
Is that FWD?
1,101 Posts
there was a discussion on this forum a while ago.

headlight assemblies are designed to take the position of the light emitting source into account. changing to a different style bulb that has a filiment in a different orientation or position, using HID or LED, will slightly change this point, and it matters. it will change the way the light is distributed in the headlight pattern.

LED's have shown to not cast light as far out, although close up they are significantly brighter. Getting a higher performing halogen in the stock form factor is my recommendation, because our housings were designed to use them. Silverstar ultras are supposedly one of the brightest bulbs. there was some talk about HIR bulbs in the past being significantly brighter than standard halogens as well, but i don't hear anything about them these days.
I agree somewhat, I tried really expensive Silverstar and they were awful and not much brighter than halogen bulb. The LED ones I put in are far brighter, send out light farther and for the money was a better buy IMO.

Reactions: Abs

·
Worthless reject member
40,708 Posts
I agree somewhat, I tried really expensive Silverstar and they were awful and not much brighter than halogen bulb. The LED ones I put in are far brighter, send out light farther and for the money was a better buy IMO.
Can you prove that? Everything i have read and seen that was actually tested says they don't. What you are saying may purely be subjective because they are a lot brighter, but the distribution of light is definitely not the same. LED's through a projector end up throwing a lot of light up close in front of the car, but not much of it ends up far out in the headlight pattern. It may seem better in city driving, but go out in the country with little or no light. You're going to want to be able to see out as far as you can.

·
Is that FWD?
1,101 Posts
Not sure how to prove that, but the LED lights do shine out farther and wider than before by 2x the distance and maybe 50% wider in what the bulbs light up in front of the car.
I am really impressed with them for the price and the brightness was far better than I expected.
I left the high beams stock, those shine out very far.

I am sure some brands/bulb might not all work the same, but was just sharing the ones I bought and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
One blurb from an LED hawker states that their LEDS are "300% brighter" than halogen. 300%? Now I know where the lines went on the secondary roads; ya'll burned um off with your damn LEDs! On a lighter note some how a lamp that comes with a cooling fan just don't get it for me; We replace our fuel lines cause they can burn the car to the ground yet a light that comes with an on board air handler is hunky dory........

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
224 Posts
I'm running Philips XtremeVision H1 bulbs in both the high and low beams in my aftermarket assemblies. Pretty happy!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Can you prove that? Everything i have read and seen that was actually tested says they don't. What you are saying may purely be subjective because they are a lot brighter, but the distribution of light is definitely not the same. LED's through a projector end up throwing a lot of light up close in front of the car, but not much of it ends up far out in the headlight pattern. It may seem better in city driving, but go out in the country with little or no light. You're going to want to be able to see out as far as you can.
this is correct. I went through a testing period of leds not long ago. I bought mostly on amazon because I could send back for free if I didn’t like them. I tried hikari, a few versions of auxbeam, a few others I can’t remember the name and even spent $150 on some sl1 diode dynamics. You know what I ended up with? A $50 set of 55 watt hids. Why? Because I need the light to project far and not be just bright. That’s exactly what every led I tried did. The best ones were the diode dynamics. They were builtfar nicer too and I don’t remember hearing the fan like you can with the China leds. I now have aftermarket housings so my only decent choice for now is h1 hids. Led technology is getting better and better but still have not matched hid in distance yet. Just know the factory reflector in the stock housing doesn’t work well with leds.

·
06 Cyclone GTO
3,526 Posts
I have Hoen bulbs in my GTO and the high beams and fogs in my SS sedan. They used to be a sponsor here many years ago.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts