LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellas. I'm gonna need some tires soon. Got some weather checking and inner wear slightly on the rear as well as inner wear on the left front and slight outer wear on the right outer... needs aligned also. Anyway. I've put roughly 5k on it in 4 years. I don't put a ton of miles on it. Also. I do get on it once in a while (blow the back tires off 馃槅) not looking to break the bank but wanted input on what you guys run... an don't flame or judge. I've even just thought about buying the lionhearts on flea bay due to being a cheap tire that I don't have to care about. My wife feels I should get a good name tire. I just feel with how these cars wear tires on the inside on the rear naturally why go crazy unless I put alot more miles on the car, in which case I don't. Thanks in advance guys.

GR-RRR!
These cars are particularly sensitive to well balanced tires, especially on the front. Even if you only drive it occasionally, why ride on junk? For example, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is a great Summer only tire and yet comes with a 30k mile warranty. On my daily I only got 17k on a set after 4-5 years and Michelin replaced them and covered about 60% of the cost on a new set. Point being, they and Discount Tire Direct really do stand behind their warranty.

Registered
04m6 PBM-JBA cc shorties, Muff delete CAI intake DBAfronts 05/06rears c5 pads LSS 06tails SAP stuff
These cars are particularly sensitive to well balanced tires, especially on the front. Even if you only drive it occasionally, why ride on junk? For example, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is a great Summer only tire and yet comes with a 30k mile warranty. On my daily I only got 17k on a set after 4-5 years and Michelin replaced them and covered about 60% of the cost on a new set. Point being, they and Discount Tire Direct really do stand behind their warranty.
How much did 4 of those Michilens run you? I鈥檝e tried coopers, nittos, BFs鈥 I seem to get about 15k out of tires before I have a pair of bald ass rears and crappily worn fronts鈥 might have to try the Michelin鈥檚. Would try the Falkens but have heard nothing but crap reviews from a lot of people

Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
I just put tires on mine and ran the same scenario through my head... not driven a lot, so why spend a lot of money on a good tire that will get wasted? Well, I went from Michelins to Bridgestones that were $400 cheaper back to Michelins that I got for the Bridgestone price.

This is a performance car. Listen to your wife. If she is advocating that you put a good name brand set of tires on it, DO IT!!!! The Michelins on my GTO are wonderful. I now understand why people spend a lot of money on performance tires. Before this, I never spent Michelin money on tires.

Registered
04m6 PBM-JBA cc shorties, Muff delete CAI intake DBAfronts 05/06rears c5 pads LSS 06tails SAP stuff
I just put tires on mine and ran the same scenario through my head... not driven a lot, so why spend a lot of money on a good tire that will get wasted? Well, I went from Michelins to Bridgestones that were $400 cheaper back to Michelins that I got for the Bridgestone price.

This is a performance car. Listen to your wife. If she is advocating that you put a good name brand set of tires on it, DO IT!!!! The Michelins on my GTO are wonderful. I now understand why people spend a lot of money on performance tires. Before this, I never spent Michelin money on tires.
after looking up the Michelin pilot sport 4s tires I realize they have 5 star Reviews, 30k mile warranty鈥 and cost about a grand for a set of 4 245/45zr17s. 25lbs per tire, 9.3 width I鈥檓 game I want these now. And the fact that if they start wearing like shit鈥 you get a refund or new tires before 30k鈥 I鈥檓 sold

Registered
Would try the Falkens but have heard nothing but crap reviews from a lot of people
Tried Falken. Once. Horrible. Tire store needed to bring in 8 of them to get 4 to balance. Meh performance. Bald in 12K with zero burnouts, etc. Called their offices in SoCal to talk about my lousy experience 鈥 and even the guy who picked up the phone was a dick.

The only positive experience was after their customer service guy went into full tool mode I called back and left their CEO of North American operations a voice mail 鈥攁nd he made the customer service guy call back to apologize.

Granted, this was all years ago but that was incredibly bad. In comparison the Kumhos I mentioned have been terrific.

Seriously?
2004 Pontiac GTO, LS1, 6 speed, Quicksilver/Black
after looking up the Michelin pilot sport 4s tires I realize they have 5 star Reviews, 30k mile warranty鈥 and cost about a grand for a set of 4 245/45zr17s. 25lbs per tire, 9.3 width I鈥檓 game I want these now. And the fact that if they start wearing like shit鈥 you get a refund or new tires before 30k鈥 I鈥檓 sold
You won't regret it. I'm still breaking mine in. It will only get better.

Reactions: PBMunicorn

GR-RRR!
Here's another note that Faulkens are bad news. I had a set on an old daily and they did not last long and performed poorly while they were on there. No other tire on that car got used up so quickly.

I STRONGLY suggest whatever you go with that you get a really good front and rear alignment done by someone who knows what they are doing and as a bonus knows GTOs.

Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely appreciate the feedback so far fellas I definitely will be looking at the better brand tires now I suppose. I know our tire supplier mentioned a Ironman imove gen 3. He said they are a solid tire for the price. $100/tire

Super Moderator
You want a quality budget tire that is often times still made in the USA look at the General G Max or the G Max AS-05.

This is my go to tire for when we don't need a maximum effort tire.

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

|G|et |T|urned |O|n
I have the Firehawk Indy 500s on my OEM 17s and plan to get 245s on my OEM 18s too. Been quite happy with them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts