LS1GTO Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
1 of 40,757
6,893 Posts
I still say the FP8000’s are the best of cheap summer tires.
Good traction, nice tread pattern, wears well. I've bought them in twice in pairs and another time a set of 4 for my BMW. Every set is from a different Ebay seller and they've always balanced well.
Going to buy a pair of 275/19's for the GTO and the grand total is... $270.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I still say the FP8000’s are the best of cheap summer tires.
Good traction, nice tread pattern, wears well. I've bought them in twice in pairs and another time a set of 4 for my BMW. Every set is from a different Ebay seller and they've always balanced well.
Going to buy a pair of 275/19's for the GTO and the grand total is... $270.
What is the treadware rating? Typically tires that are that cheap are harder than Rockwell 40.

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Font Rectangle Screenshot Technology Parallel

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on these. At least they are a decent name brand.

·
Registered
131 Posts
if you are going to do Federals, buy the 595s. Great UHP tires. The treads are blocky and flat resembling racing slick rain tires. The brand caught on with the drifters years ago, who needed cheap decent tires. But, today they are no longer cheap like 170-200 for a 275 35 18. While the BFGs are more still they have, depending on tire size either 10/32s or 11/32s tread, while the 595 Feds are 7/32s. if the car is going on the street you'll need the durability.

Personally I don't trust those $100 Thai tires. They have traction, but the sidewalls are single ply and get squirrely while maneuvering at speed. The 595 are southeast Asian too, but stand up to drifting. Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
9,407 Posts
The only thing that connects your life in a vehicle to the ground is the tires.

I always buy the best tires I can afford due to this, and make sure I buy the best tires for the conditions I’ll be driving in. I.E. - there are a lot of summer only tires that are exceptional in dry conditions for a good price, but are marginal in rain and downright terrible in cold climates.

Choose wisely.

·
GR-RRR!
7,876 Posts
The only thing that connects your life in a vehicle to the ground is the tires.

I always buy the best tires I can afford due to this, and make sure I buy the best tires for the conditions I’ll be driving in. I.E. - there are a lot of summer only tires that are exceptional in dry conditions for a good price, but are marginal in rain and downright terrible in cold climates.

Choose wisely.

·
Registered
2006 GTO C.G.M. 6 speed, 1-7/8 ARH Headers, corsa sport catback, DSS 1000 h.p. 1 pc. D/S, K&N intak
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Still haven't bought any tires yet... Still shopping for tires. Definitely gonna get a mid grade tire. They are sold out on those federal tires anyway on the wally world app.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I’d suggest a Nankang AS as an inexpensive maybe better than mediocre tire. I too don’t drive much so tires age out before wearing out.
I’ll second the nankang. I have those on my car and they lasted quite a long time. I have the ns-25’s

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Here's another note that Faulkens are bad news. I had a set on an old daily and they did not last long and performed poorly while they were on there. No other tire on that car got used up so quickly.

I STRONGLY suggest whatever you go with that you get a really good front and rear alignment done by someone who knows what they are doing and as a bonus knows GTOs.
Falken is junk.

·
|G|et |T|urned |O|n
1,736 Posts
Firestone = Bridgestone, so one of the best manufacturers of tires, yet still at a fair price.

Kfx…. 2006GTOCGM is the OP ;)

Reactions: 2006GTOCGM

·
Registered
180 Posts
These cars are particularly sensitive to well balanced tires, especially on the front. Even if you only drive it occasionally, why ride on junk? For example, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is a great Summer only tire and yet comes with a 30k mile warranty. On my daily I only got 17k on a set after 4-5 years and Michelin replaced them and covered about 60% of the cost on a new set. Point being, they and Discount Tire Direct really do stand behind their warranty.
This has been my experience as well. The P4S is the best tire I have ever put on a car, by far! The wet pavement traction is incredible. Due to the high price, not recommended for track use lol.

GTO_04

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm thinking Firestone firehawk.
I have the Firehawk III and it has been a great tire.

When I bought my 06 a few years back the dealer put the cheapest tire from Walmart on the car and it would barely hold traction. The car was low mileage and clean but I thought it was kind of dangerous for a dealer to put a tire like that on a car with that kind of weight/power/skinny tire.

When the sales manger pointed out the new tires on the car I told him that's the first thing I have to replace. This isn't a Corolla buddy.

·
Registered
2005 Pontiac GTO
1,929 Posts
I had the opposite experience. Mine had new Conti Extreme DW tires when I bought it. Problem was, I bought it in Virginia, where it might have been a 3-season car and I live in Maryland and daily-drive it (except in the snow). The tires barely lasted 20k miles and didn't have much traction below freezing. But man, those tires stuck good when it was warm out! :)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I got the Ironman Gen2 from my tire guy at work. Look like a nice tread pattern. He said it's a great tire for the price.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts