LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi; what do you guys think is the best navigation system out there? I realize that many systems offer the abilities to play movies, and do all of the entertainment stuff, but I'm mainly interested in the following:

Best Nav System
Play CD without swapping out the nav disk
am/fm

I know that some of you have gone with the Kenwood and Pioneer. I'm a little concerned about where I would have the brains of the unit mounted, ie., the trunk space is already so low!

I was considering the Eclipse AVN2454, because everything is included in the head unit, the touchscreen, nav computer, nav disk, and an opening to put your favorite cd without swapping anything out. But then somebody posted some concerns about this system, saying there was some issues with it.

It doesn't matter to me what the price is. What to do? Thanks!!

:)

·
Registered
607 Posts
external mounting suggestion...

there is a plethora of space on the left side of your trunk, behind the carpet. Pull your pins out (they go back in easy) and look at the big metal brace that thee amp sits in. gobs of room for nav, mp3 storage etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
josephra said:
external mounting suggestion...

there is a plethora of space on the left side of your trunk, behind the carpet. Pull your pins out (they go back in easy) and look at the big metal brace that thee amp sits in. gobs of room for nav, mp3 storage etc.

kewl...thanks....now i just need to pick what the best nav system is. :eek2:

·
Lovin my GEE TEE OOOOOO!!!
161 Posts
don't know if its too late but i have the eclipse system in mine and i love it.
it looks as if came in it and it works great. no swapping of disc
except if you want to play a dvd, then not too safe while moving.
and now aginst the law here in michigan. :secret:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I was the one that made the comments on the eclipse unit. It was actually the other HU that has the internal HD. I've seen/heard nothing bad about the eclipse nav unit. Great for all in one and ease of install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Eclipse

josephra said:
I was the one that made the comments on the eclipse unit. It was actually the other HU that has the internal HD. I've seen/heard nothing bad about the eclipse nav unit. Great for all in one and ease of install.
Thanks, decided to go with the eclipse. Had the equipment ordered, and decided to take the plunge on the custom install. I found a shop that does high end installations (100k+ cars), and they are going to make a custom double din kit. They will make a plastic mold of the exact opening of the stereo location, and then also send it out for custom painting to exactly match the dash.

The installer told me I would not be able to tell any difference in the plastics, that it will be an exact match in color, feel, and shine level, and that the coutours will be identical to the one that is there now.

I saw some of the work they did on a bentley, and a DB9 aston; really good work. Just Hope its worth it!

Thanks for the replies...Chris

·
GO STEELERS!
5,106 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
101 Posts
how 'bout now.. any pictures?

·
GTOrgasm
385 Posts
If the shop kept the template they used for the dash kit I'm certain that they could sell quite a few of them to us...would you inquire about that please?

·
2005 GTO OWNER
6 Posts
I second that on the double din maker. Can you please post a referral for someone who makes double din for GTO. thanks

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My stereo guy BEGGED me to replace the head unit saying there was a plate made for the GTO that made the aftermarket unit look totally built in. While I passed for now I might replace it out. If you would like, I'll post the source for this item. I'm picking up my car tomorrow morning and will get the info.

JET

·
GTOrgasm
385 Posts
the Metra and AI info are around to be found here in the forums, if it is something other than those 2 please post up. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts