LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
PC load letter?
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to performance cars and mods in general and the first mod I plan on doing is getting better/stickier performance tires. Only the best for my GTO, but I have no idea what to get. Toyo? Good Year?

I want the best performance for dry weather. Thanks!

·
Registered
33 Posts
edge929 said:
I'm new to performance cars and mods in general and the first mod I plan on doing is getting better/stickier performance tires. Only the best for my GTO, but I have no idea what to get. Toyo? Good Year?

I want the best performance for dry weather. Thanks!
here in aus even though climate condition is totally different Pirelli pzero is fitted as standard on a lot of HSV's another one is bridgestone all these tyres are expensive. yokohama is another favourite for aftermarket and of course michelin the new dunlop 9000 it just depends how deep your pockets are

·
Registered
33 Posts
another tip when buying aftermarket tyres you all know the GTO has Z rated tyres, as the GTO is heavy make sure aftermarket tyres comply with the weight requirement.every tyre will have a weight indicator and the GTO will have somewhere stamped what is the minnimum weight requirement for tyres so make sure you ask your friendly tyre dealer that the tyres you buy satisfy the weight requirement.

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
BFG GF KD's

I'm kinda partial to the BFG GF T/A KD's myself. I expounded their virtues elsewhere. They are NOT cheap in 17 or 18 however when you consider you'll be burning them up twice as fast. ;)

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
The KD is basically the dry-weather biggest brother of the KDWS OEM tires on the GTO and one of the stickiest tires on the market at any price - for dry weather. Since that was the question (dry weather performance), Old Goat is dead on as usual. (Did I mention dry weather?) www.tirerack.com might be helpful...

·
Knight Errant
1,800 Posts
BFG GF KD's

gto_in_nc said:
The KD is basically the dry-weather biggest brother of the KDWS OEM tires on the GTO and one of the stickiest tires on the market at any price - for dry weather. Since that was the question (dry weather performance), Old Goat is dead on as usual. (Did I mention dry weather?) www.tirerack.com might be helpful...
Ah....Thank you....(blush) :eek: . I really like them on the S-10. They did freaking wonders for the handling, traction and braking. Something HAD to. Before them I was frying tires...come to think of it, like now on the Goat! Unlike the Goat however, the thing cornered like a runaway barge, and stopped not too well. In fairness, front & rear upgraded bars and neoprene helped, as did the Accel brakes, but the tires did the most for everything. Anyone else think they look a lot like Formula One rain tires? They seemed to do just ducky in the rain as well on the road.

Don't take everything I say as gospel though, a lot has changed. My grandpa always said, 'Trust, but verify.' :sneaky:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Old Goat... "Trust, but verify." is a saying Ronald Reagan used often. :D

I bought the Toyo TS1 tires at the recommendation of Arrowhead Performance. They may not be the absolute best tire, but they sure LOOK great. From what I have read, the Goodyear Eagle F1 is about the best tire you can get, but they are expensive and some sizes have long "lead times" (on backorder.) Check the "customer ratings" you can find at many sites and you will usually see the Eagle F1 at or near the top of the list.

·
PC load letter?
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm leaning towards either the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 or the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KD.

Now for size..... I'm gonna stick with the 245/45/17 for the front, best fit. But I definitely want bigger in the rear, as big as I can get (meat that is, don't care about rim size). Most likely I'll go with 275/40/17 with a 17x9" wheel.

Can someone tell me the difference between "Blackwall Right" and "Blackwall Left" - what is this referring to as I see the same size tire, with these 2 options? Yes, I'm a squid.

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
The KD is both directional and edge-specific. There are left-side tires and right-side tires. Realize that this means no rotating if front and back are different sizes. These tires are seriously performance-optimized...

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Question, lets say your more interested in making corning fast than going straight fast. Is having two different size tires (front/rear) a bad thing?

·
Feynman fan
2,336 Posts
mlc said:
Question, lets say your more interested in making corning fast than going straight fast. Is having two different size tires (front/rear) a bad thing?
Not a bad thing at all. Think, for instance, about Formula 1 cars - when was the last time you saw a dancing horse, for example, with the same size tires front and rear??? I just wanted to make sure people thought about tire life - even if only to say "Who cares?"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts