LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to plug up the hole in the air intake tube leading to the throttle body.

My question is where is the best place to relocate the IAT plug and sensor?

I don't want to use the 57 degree resistor plug that you can buy off eBay or Radio Shack. It does get hot in the desert. At the same time, I want to move the IAT sensor as from hot engine air and radiator as possible.

I am thinking of zip tying it to the air scoop behind the headlamp that leads to my Monaro 2 hole CAI in the bottom of the air box. That way it reads the temp of the incoming air.

Any thoughts? Good idea or bad idea? No bridges will be burned because I am only plugging up the hole with insulation tape. I can always revert back to stock.

Thanks. CMNTMXR I am anxiously waiting buddy... :gr_jest:

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
Well you could place it in the top portion of the air box. You could drill a hole in it, place a rubber grommet in it, and then place the sensor in the rubber grommet. That would work the same way my LPE kit does. Not only would it be isolated from radiator heat more, it wouldnt get dust and dirt in it from being in the open un filtered air flow. Nor could it get wet.

·
12 Second Club
672 Posts
Iv'e Been contemplating the same thing. Saw this in a recent post. LPE put it in the cone filter. Coolest place under the hood i would think.

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6934

"They even make provisions to place the IAT inside a factory hole in the KN filter. They pass the IAT through a supplied rubber grommet that goes through the heat shield."

Since Im going to do the Monaro 2 hole mod, Im thinking right in the side of the airbox?

Good / Bad Idea?

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
I think some of the Aussies have them moved over to the air box as well. Maybe our friends down under could chime in.

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
I woudl say in the air box facing towards the front, mounted from behind, on the top of the airbox section. You could order the conenctors on the stock unit and make an exstension. All you would need is the oppsoite gender on the lower connector and the same connector that exists stock. It would create a nice exstension. If anyone is interested in this. I could create this exstension. We'd just need some parts #'s and a length. Building it would be easy. I solder very well :)

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
On the HSV tube I have - the sensor is on the bottom of the tube, not the side. Don't know if that would really slow down the heat soak at idle - but may help a little.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Trial # 1: No drill method

I decided not to drill holes in the airbox yet. I simply routed the IAT sensor around the AC tubing and hooked it in the area under the fan shroud plastic cover where the louvered holes are under the part that says "charge port below".

This area gets cool area directly from the front headlamp as it goes under the hood into the louvre holes towards my 2 hole CAI.

Lastly, I insulated my stock intake tube with silver insulation tape towards the TB and black insulation tape towards the MAF where the old IAT hole used to be.

Time to go checking if there's any difference....

·
12 Second Club
672 Posts
Looks good, but i wonder about dirt and water getting to the IAT sensor?

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Water: no rain in the desert. I will check the next time I run it through a carwash. Previously, I haven't noticed any wet spots in this area from carwashes before.

Dirt: definitely lots in the desert. Again, I will run it for a week or so and re-evaluate. The front air scoop in the MOnaro CAI does not appear dirty at all. I check it all the time. Look at the 2 large holes in the plastic. They look immaculate!

·
Deuce and a Half
1,880 Posts
well its just a thermistor, no damage to occur really due to dirt. it doesnt actually sample the air via air flow through it, just over the component. I don't see anything hurting it besides getting moist and corroding. But in the desert i dont see much chance of that.

·
12 Second Club
672 Posts
Looks like we have a winner! Any idea how much a new IAT sensor is in case mine gets wet, dirty or icy. Can the sensor be cleaned or will water ect destroy it? No clue how it works here. Sure like the way you think DG! :)

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
The only problem that I could see is that if your intake charge is above 100,and this is almost a given on these cars,this will promote detonation if the computer isn't adjusting the advance accordingly.I would rather have the computer adjust the advance table than have excessive KR.I know because I tried something different but nets the same results.I took out the IAT correction with HP tuners under 122 degrees with not good results.every time the IAT got up where it should have been correcting the timing I got KR and the car actually ran like crap at an idle.Just my two cents.

·
Master of Youngrushhour
4,318 Posts
They cost about $10-12. The AC Delco part # is 213-243.

·
12 Second Club
672 Posts
Thanks for the part info. I dont really have any knowledge of the computer workings. How would this be different from the LPE IAT relocation to the cone filter?

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
TSpeed said:
Thanks for the part info. I dont really have any knowledge of the computer workings. How would this be different from the LPE IAT relocation to the cone filter?
My IAT is relocated with my unifilter CAI to just after the filter also.This and the lingenfelter, IAT position actually measures IAT not OSA(outside air)

·
12 Second Club
672 Posts
I think I understand that. After the filter temp is real air temp in the intake, probly warmer than the outside temp. That the big difference?

So if im reading this right, moving it to top of the airbox, post filter is ok, but outside air temp is not.
Sorry if im slow picking this stuff up!

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
You know,I've been thinking about a cold air solution for a while.I think I'm gonna try something a little different.It's gonna take a little "hacking".Using the stock airbox,close off the air port in the front side and drill a 4" hole in the bottom,then drill a 4" hole in the fenderwell under this location and make a connector tube between the two.This will pull air from only outstide the car and not from anywhere near the hot radiator.I didn't want to do any hacking but this I know will work.And besides,who would ever know,I bet no one would evr see that hole.What do you guys think?IAT sensor would still be located after the MAF,but now pulling in cooler ouside air.

·
12 Second Club
672 Posts
I like, cept for the cutting part. Makes more sense tho. If you put it low enuf to grab air from the low grill opening, at speed it would also "FORCE" air to the box.
I think i finally digested what bone said on the IAT.Makes sense to me now. Just to be clear tho, its ok to put the IAT before the MAF?

·
Banned
39 Posts
Bone said:
You know,I've been thinking about a cold air solution for a while.I think I'm gonna try something a little different.It's gonna take a little "hacking".Using the stock airbox,close off the air port in the front side and drill a 4" hole in the bottom,then drill a 4" hole in the fenderwell under this location and make a connector tube between the two.This will pull air from only outstide the car and not from anywhere near the hot radiator.I didn't want to do any hacking but this I know will work.And besides,who would ever know,I bet no one would evr see that hole.What do you guys think?IAT sensor would still be located after the MAF,but now pulling in cooler ouside air.

I'm game but don't quite understand. Hope we could all solve this together with enough back and forth discussion,

The current location of my IAT sensor is now before MAF. So why is that bad again?

·
No More GTO!!!!
1,269 Posts
It's not bad at all in the intake where ever.Mounting the IAT "outside" the intake pathway is what I am saying I wouldn't do.I would also like CMTs oppinion.He's pretty cool.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts