LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Buckethead
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in RI today looking for a Crispy Creme, and spotted a ZR-1. I followed him for a spell. He took off on me 1 time when I wasn't ready (was in 4th at like 40-50) but caught the red. I was in back of him, and a Avalanche on the side. It was a left turn, then nice and straight. At the green, he got on it a little, then punched it. I was squirrly through 1st, and spun in 2nd, but I caught up to his bumper after I caught traction. He didn't pull and I pulled ever so slightly to almost the end of third (if it was a bumper, it was too much) We shut it down due to oncoming cars. I slowed, he slowed, I gave the thumbs up, he shot back a peace sign. I call it a draw, dead even. Lots of fun, and that ZR-1 sounded great!! Loud as all hell!! When we were on it, all I could hear was him, not me! My GF was a little surprised an older guy was racing, but they are the most responsible, and know when to shut it down. Wish I could have talked to him to see what mods he had. Boy it sounded great!! Love the ZR-1!! :patriot:

·
My normal state of affairs...
5,909 Posts
backndagame said:
You should of smoked that car
not really. dont they have something like 400HP from a DOHC motor in a lighter car? i forgot exactly.

·
Registered
500 Posts
backndagame said:
You should of smoked that car
Why would you say that unless drowssap has enough of mods to smoke mid-high 12 second car. At the top end, stock LS2 GTO has no chance against ZR1. The stock ZR1 will kill C5 Z06 at the top end speed.

·
Buckethead
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hummina said:
not really. dont they have something like 400HP from a DOHC motor in a lighter car? i forgot exactly.
I looked a little. I saw numbers of 375HP and 405HP and 3400-3500 pounds. High 12's

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
03EBZ06 said:
Why would you say that unless drowssap has enough of mods to smoke mid-high 12 second car. At the top end, stock LS2 GTO has no chance against ZR1. The stock ZR1 will kill C5 Z06 at the top end speed.

+1

03, you should get some better tires. You'd be in the 10's!

·
My normal state of affairs...
5,909 Posts
drowssap said:
I looked a little. I saw numbers of 375HP and 405HP and 3400-3500 pounds. High 12's
yea, those sound right. it was not AND still is not a slow car:gears:

·
Registered
500 Posts
ShaneD_06GTO said:
03, you should get some better tires. You'd be in the 10's!
Yes, you are correct. But couple of things are holding me up. For one, I don't want to install a cage (I've already been warned about my ET) and I enjoy making passes, don't want to be banned from the track.

Secondly, I really don't feel like replacing half-shaft and/or clutch, right now. :)

BUT, I think next season, I'll get a set of DRs and just say screw it and go for the gusto. :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
Nice run. It's pretty rare to even see a ZR-1 on the road these days, let alone run one.

ZR-1 vs Tuned LS2 should be a pretty tight run anyway.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
03EBZ06 said:
Yes, you are correct. But couple of things are holding me up. For one, I don't want to install a cage (I've already been warned about my ET) and I enjoy making passes, don't want to be banned from the track.

Secondly, I really don't feel like replacing half-shaft and/or clutch, right now. :)

BUT, I think next season, I'll get a set of DRs and just say screw it and go for the gusto. :D
Oh yeah, I remember you posting about not wanting a cage. Keep up the good work.

//threadjack off

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
jeremyc74 said:
Nice run. It's pretty rare to even see a ZR-1 on the road these days, let alone run one.

ZR-1 vs Tuned LS2 should be a pretty tight run anyway.
Very true! I was waiting for a story with a ZR-1.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
There is an Asian guy down here with a bright yellow ZR1. I see him about once a week on the road to work. Decal on back says he bought it from that big Corvette dealer that advertises on Barrat Jackson Auctions. I ran him a couple of times side by side when my car was stock and he couldn't pull away from my 2005 A4. His biggest advantage was much wider tires. I would get all sideways on takeoff. We had to shut down fairly early as we were right in front of Court House with cops aplenty. Since I put Maggie on car, I don't think he would be able to keep up as i run in High 11's now. I't is a beautiful and fantastically engineered car and is deserving of respect for what it represents: Chevy's venture into double overhead cams. DT

·
Ho's b4 Bro's
2,148 Posts
I used to own a ZR1 (375hp version). Bone stock with catback it ran a 13.1 at 111 mph.

Damn, I loved that car. I sold it because I knew it'd be hell to repair even minor problems with the engine. Don't ever wash a ZR1 engine, you'll ruin the starter!

·
9 Second Club
14,783 Posts
Great post!!!

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
111mph trap on the 375 version. A 405HP ZR-1, I read traps up to 113mph but are very tough to launch, even with the stock 315's. Good run. If that race continued, like 03EB said..the walk would be on. They pull hard after 100mph and I have seen videos of them leaving 02-04 ZO6's behind...they go 180+ to the Z's 170-175...

·
Ahhh have the need fer speed.
2,271 Posts
Hawkeye said:
I used to own a ZR1 (375hp version). Bone stock with catback it ran a 13.1 at 111 mph.

Damn, I loved that car. I sold it because I knew it'd be hell to repair even minor problems with the engine. Don't ever wash a ZR1 engine, you'll ruin the starter!

Wasn't that engine a OMC or some other Outboard Marine boat engine or some such beast?

·
burnout silver star award :)
2,166 Posts
drowssap said:
Was in RI today looking for a Crispy Creme, and spotted a ZR-1. I followed him for a spell. He took off on me 1 time when I wasn't ready (was in 4th at like 40-50) but caught the red. I was in back of him, and a Avalanche on the side. It was a left turn, then nice and straight. At the green, he got on it a little, then punched it. I was squirrly through 1st, and spun in 2nd, but I caught up to his bumper after I caught traction. He didn't pull and I pulled ever so slightly to almost the end of third (if it was a bumper, it was too much) We shut it down due to oncoming cars. I slowed, he slowed, I gave the thumbs up, he shot back a peace sign. I call it a draw, dead even. Lots of fun, and that ZR-1 sounded great!! Loud as all hell!! When we were on it, all I could hear was him, not me! My GF was a little surprised an older guy was racing, but they are the most responsible, and know when to shut it down. Wish I could have talked to him to see what mods he had. Boy it sounded great!! Love the ZR-1!! :patriot:

nice race :) i had a similiar experiece. the zr-1 took me out of the hole every time but i would pull ever so slightly from a roll. this was when i had just a few mods.

·
Registered
500 Posts
FastMoFoGTO said:
Wasn't that engine a OMC or some other Outboard Marine boat engine or some such beast?
The LT5 motor is Lotus designed and assembled by Mercury Marine corporation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts