LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Bolt Extractor
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, our search engine sucks. Any forum/board that uses this same basic code will probably have the same issues. It's not a problem with the site; it's just that the code is limited.

However, there is a VERY GOOD way to search. Just use Google and all of their fancy pyschic search voodoo! Just go to Google.com, and type in the string "site:ls1gto.com" followed by whatever you want to search for.

For instance, say you want to know the torque specs for the 04 water pump. Just type in plain English (b/c Google has zomgwtfhaxxoralien1337 sauce) "site:ls1gto.com 04 waterpump torque specs" and that will take you to a page like this:
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=site:ls1gto.com+04+water+pump+torque+specs&oq=site:ls1gto.com+04+water+pump+torque+specs&gs_l=hp.3...3354.4935.2.5339.6.6.0.0.0.0.127.526.4j2.6.0.les;..0.0...1c.1.OyicQlL72Ec&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=52fbdfba5bb4845f&biw=1834&bih=1119. Then, just click wherever you want or change the string. The results will be based on whatever Google's search results algorithm is based on (time on page, click after page, click before page, previous search strings, cookies, history, etc.).

The cool thing about Google is it shows you threads that are "relevant," while our search engine shows you threads in chronological order, or most views, or whatever. The Google search method takes me straight to what I want to see probably better than 8 of 10 times. Of course, there will still be some manual thread reading, page flipping, and re-searching required to truly answer your question. Still, this is how I've been searching lately and it's worked pretty well so far.

Distribute this "trick" widely!

·
Here for the Gangbang
1,882 Posts
Additionally, it pays to know how to narrow your search terms or criteria. For example, if you're searching for '04 water pump torque specs', it makes no sense at all to search the entire site. You can search individual forums and should do so.

·
Administrator
13,113 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STICKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Bolt Extractor
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thats how I search 99% of the time. Thought everyone knew that.
How does it work for you? Just wondering how someone else that uses this method primarily thinks about it. I still say it works 8/10 times, but does require the standard page reading that even comes with standard Google searches.

I noticed, though, that some threads in the search results on a specific top will show up over and over again, because Google, even in their infinite wisdom, don't seem to view pages within the same thread as the same page, so you'll actually see the same thread on multiple search pages, even though it's all the same threads. This is a shortcoming of this search method which provides you with extraneous search results to sift through.

Still, it works great for me, and I've learned how to work my search strings so Google takes me where I want to go quicker than when I first learned of this method.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Im lazy. I just tyle whatever I want to know. Then type gto in the end. For example.

Rocker truninon upgrade gto.

Then I get results from multiple forums. If I think this one or the other will have what I need I click on the
More results tab listed below the top 5 matching threads from that forum.

Your way I also use if I for sure want to dial down into 1 forum.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,049 Posts
I searched for "fleshlight lubricant" site:ls1gto.com and wound up here

·
13 year owner
16,379 Posts
I guess I don't have these issues while searching here (other than the abundance of threads/posts that turn up as a result). However, in advanced mode, if I put in "2004 water pump torque specs" and select the proper sub-forum, I pretty much get the info on my first try.

·
got mods
2,679 Posts
How does it work for you? Just wondering how someone else that uses this method primarily thinks about it. I still say it works 8/10 times, but does require the standard page reading that even comes with standard Google searches.

Still, it works great for me, and I've learned how to work my search strings so Google takes me where I want to go quicker than when I first learned of this method.
I just typed rear seat torn stetching ls1gto in google search and got exactly what I was looking for.

·
99% Stock
4,964 Posts
I do a lot of searching on this forum via Google search. Just throw in ls1gto and type the rest of your search terms.

·
Banned
2,087 Posts
You guys know there's a google search box right at the top of every page here right? There's also one if you click the search link right under the normal forum search.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've seen several forums with the same search function, this one, trailvoy, gmtnation (?), and it's search criteria just isn't reader friendly.

Google is used exclusively. The tricky part is having to use the keywords that the Op used to get what you want. I'm usually vague on purpose to get more results. Planning on doing rear poly bushings, BC shox and such and am a bit concerned about the rear cradle alignment so I've spent some time reading up on everything pertinent.
Ls1gto is always first followed by poly cradle alignment when seeing if I can get away from using the tool that I don't have to get within range.
Then ls1gto followed by rear LCA bush to get pointers on R/R of them. I think I'm ready for the project. Just play with keywords to try and guess what the OPs might use. Sometimes things aren't called out correctly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have been absent from this site since 2015. I do not remember how to access, how to purchase GTO decals. Can you help? Also when I first purchased my " Holden" GTO the low beam lights were much much brighter than the ones that were installed after my front end collision. There seems to be a half moon shaped shield covering half of the bulb. This results in a very decrease in my lights. Is there a super bright bulb that you can recommend and where to purchase them?
Thanks for any help you can offer. ��

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
GTO decals I have no idea but am curious as well. I replaced my stock low beam bulbs with Phillips Crystal Vision Ultras and the difference in usable light is night and day pardon the pun. Looking at them from outside the car they didn't look much different but from inside the car they are a LOT brighter and light up a far greater area while driving. Even my girlfriend noticed a huge difference and that's saying something..........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts