LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
GR-RRR!
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As always, I've been buying good spare parts when they turn up. I recently bought a set of airbags. I'll be honest, the things make me nervous. Is there a good way to store them to avoid any dangerous situations? I honestly don't want them in my house but a warning in the shop manual says to store them where the temps won't exceed 150 degrees. Now, I know the heat in my garages never gets that high, but it does get hot in there (tin buildings, no insulation).

I was thinking of getting a plastic storage box to put them in to avoid any contact with anything volatile or random static electricity. Better than a cardboard box which is flammable and can let things get wet in a bad situation. I wish I had some of those protective static bags used to protect electronics that were big enough to hold these things.

·
Administrator
7,995 Posts
I've one on a basement shelf that's simply snapped into a spare steering wheel and placed inside a cardboard box the steering wheel came in. Been there for over a year and never even think about it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If storing in a non-climate controlled space that may see some humidity, and you really wanna get protective, get some desiccant packs and put them in the storage bin or box with them.

I have a bunch of airbags around a basement, some loose, some still on he wheel and steering columns. Never worried about them. However, soon they will be all thrown out just due to the fact no one seems to want/need them (F-body ones).

·
GR-RRR!
4,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wonder if there is a proper way of disposal.
Official shop manual has a whole section on deploying them so they can be thrown away. They CANNOT be thrown away without having been deployed. If they won't deploy you have to take much more involved methods to dispose of them.

·
Administrator
7,995 Posts
Official shop manual has a whole section on deploying them so they can be thrown away. They CANNOT be thrown away without having been deployed. If they won't deploy you have to take much more involved methods to dispose of them.
Well, they can easily be thrown in the trash...

...if you’re an asshole.

·
TACHNUP
2,308 Posts
Do you take special precautions when "storing" the airbag that's installed in the car, connected to a potentially closed electrical circuit, and exposed to an extremely wide range of temperature and humidity?

Put your spare in a box on a shelf and don't worry about it. If excessive humidity is a concern, put the box in a closet in the house.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts