LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to upgrade my cooling fans. What is a good PULLER fan to use? I think I can get two 14" fans on my radiator. My stock fans just seem weak, so rather than buying replacement motors, I'll just put two better fans. I just dont know whats more flow than what I have. I'm just gonna fab a custom aluminum shroud, So I need to get some good fans. So whats good?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I normally stick to spal, as pricy as they are. I took my shroud off, needed the clearance for the high performance version though it didn't effect temps either way.
depending if you keep a shroud, may be stuck with a 14 and 12, or 16 and 10. a lot of variables. Id just get some radiator ziptie fans.
Not sure what the end goal is though. Depending on size I tend to stick around the 1200-1500 cfm range. Also curved blades if you want it quitter or straight if you want better performance.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I normally stick to spal, as pricy as they are. I took my shroud off, needed the clearance for the high performance version though it didn't effect temps either way.
depending if you keep a shroud, may be stuck with a 14 and 12, or 16 and 10. a lot of variables. Id just get some radiator ziptie fans.
Not sure what the end goal is though. Depending on size I tend to stick around the 1200-1500 cfm range. Also curved blades if you want it quitter or straight if you want better performance.
well my end goal is better cooling especially at idle and traffic. It got up to 217f the other day in the drive through getting food. My iat’s got to almost 160. People say once you start moving the iats come down but it takes a few minutes only if I stay cruising. So I think I’m adding another fan on the intercooler too.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet. But it don’t matter, I had one in there on a gauge and it didn’t come down much faster. It does read about 10 degrees high tho. But I promise you that intercooler gets hot at idle. So the oat reading is pretty accurate as it comes down. Think of it this way, in cold air type na setup, there’s no heat soaking of an intercooler. In a turbo setup the intercooler gets heat soaked. So it takes longer to come down. I’m gonna build an aluminum shroud with two good fans and see if that helps. It might, might not. It should tho. If not I’m gonna put a higher flow water pump in it. I want it to run 185-190 tops with the ac on a hot day. Seems like when I added water wetter it got worse. Lol

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flex a lite 490 spliced in to factory wiring. It will pull the shirt off your stomach.
Love mine.
so it looks like they will fit but are only rated at 2500cfm whereas everything else are that size is around 4000cfm......

what mods do you have? What climate do you live in?
Anyone know the factory cfm rating?

·
Registered
722 Posts
I ran a total of 1400 cfm and switched back to 2300 cfm. Identical temps. That's just one 16" and one 6.5" fan. Not sure what oem is rated for but it cooled the exact same. If you find something that doesn't exceed the amperage rating for stock unless you are gonna wire something fancy in, go to 4000cfm if you think it will help. Or spend 11 bucks on a tstat and adjust the tune. Will make a better improvement before fans ever will. Im sure my old ebay pump doesn't help but I run 20-25 degrees cooler on average than with a 189 tstat.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ran a total of 1400 cfm and switched back to 2300 cfm. Identical temps. That's just one 16" and one 6.5" fan. Not sure what oem is rated for but it cooled the exact same. If you find something that doesn't exceed the amperage rating for stock unless you are gonna wire something fancy in, go to 4000cfm if you think it will help.
Im sure my old ebay pump doesn't help but I run 20-25 degrees cooler on average than with a 189 tstat.
I ran a total of 1400 cfm and switched back to 2300 cfm. Identical temps. That's just one 16" and one 6.5" fan. Not sure what oem is rated for but it cooled the exact same. If you find something that doesn't exceed the amperage rating for stock unless you are gonna wire something fancy in, go to 4000cfm if you think it will help. Or spend 11 bucks on a tstat and adjust the tune. Will make a better improvement before fans ever will. Im sure my old ebay pump doesn't help but I run 20-25 degrees cooler on average than with a 189 tstat.
Did that already. I have a 180 stat. Maybe I’ll try a 170

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
…. like I said oil cooler. I have a 160 T-Stat, Electric water pump, Mishimoto radiator, fast reacting thermistor and blah blah blah. and nothing kept the water temp under 200 with any of my blocks until I added the oil cooler. If that's what the OP is shooting for at hot idle in any kind of outside temperature that's what is needed. You need to cool the oil...period. Guess what GM does with their performance engines?

·
Registered
228 Posts
so it looks like they will fit but are only rated at 2500cfm whereas everything else are that size is around 4000cfm......

what mods do you have? What climate do you live in?
Anyone know the factory cfm rating?
Kentucky. Hot as balls. Cxracing hot and cold sides modified for twin s366s and tial important stuffs. Mishimoto radiator. It works.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So what I was thinking. I failed to remembe/mention, at idle if I raise the rpm a little, it’ll cool down. Which leads me to believe that it could be a flow problem. I do have an underdrive pulley, however, I CANNOT GET RID OF IT, because my turbo drain line goes there. The stock pulley will hit my drain. So that’s not an option at all. Now that I clarified that, I was thinking if I could increase flow then it would help. A smaller water pump pulley but that thing presses on. So I’m not sure how I’d do that. Or get a higher flow water pump. But that things are high as giraffe ass. I could machine a pulley but if you guys got any other ideas I’m all ears. I still would like to upgrade fans too, so I haven’t ruled that out.

·
Worthless reject member
40,376 Posts
i would say an EWP, but those things are still pricey used.

pump newer? i have no idea how the impellers on LS water pumps hold out over long term.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm in South Florida, and still on "stock" fans.... You won't believe what fixed my slight overheating... I replaced ALL the relays that control the fans... The stock relays were getting old/burnt... Now they run at full speed. But nice to know I could switch to a Spal.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i would say an EWP, but those things are still pricey used.

pump newer? i have no idea how the impellers on LS water pumps hold out over long term.
original water pump. 106k miles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts