LS1GTO Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
What you need is an oil cooler/fan combo. I keep my oil 195-205 and everything else just falls into place temperature wise.
Ya know this guy is right. Keeping oil temps in checkhelp with everything else. Even more important since oil gets heated in the chra

·
Registered
593 Posts
One of my factory fans went belly up. The larger of the two for an 04 is no longer available, except maybe at a salvage yard. I talked to Griffin Radiator, and a custom shroud with two Spal high-flow fans to fit the aftermarket radiator I already had was less than the cost of two factory fans. It gave me a couple of inches more space between the fans and the accessories. I can easily reach down and touch the front sway bar, where before it was impossible.

I created a custom wiring harness that plugs into the existing relay sockets. Not a single part of the factory harness was modified. The computer still controls the fans just as it did. I have high and low speed. The original fan harness is just stuffed up behind the battery.

Reactions: Double C

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I meant to update. I ordered two derale fans. A 12" one that is 2000cfm and a two speed 14" one that is 2100cfm. It says SPAL on the 12" one that came in. Waiting on the 14" one.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
One of my factory fans went belly up. The larger of the two for an 04 is no longer available, except maybe at a salvage yard. I talked to Griffin Radiator, and a custom shroud with two Spal high-flow fans to fit the aftermarket radiator I already had was less than the cost of two factory fans. It gave me a couple of inches more space between the fans and the accessories. I can easily reach down and touch the front sway bar, where before it was impossible.

I created a custom wiring harness that plugs into the existing relay sockets. Not a single part of the factory harness was modified. The computer still controls the fans just as it did. I have high and low speed. The original fan harness is just stuffed up behind the battery.

who made the shroud? Thats the exact same thing i'm doing, and cutting the plugs off the factory fans. Too bad I have to do that as mine still work. Anyone have some bad fans laying around I can get the plugs off of?

·
Registered
593 Posts
and what size fans are those? I like that setup.
The fans and shroud came assembled from Griffin. The fans are SPAL PF-22 fans and are both 12 inches in diameter. They have a lower-flow, thinner fan that is a bit cheaper, but I went with the bigger fans. It was only ~$25 more each. I paid $578 for the shroud, two fans, and wiring harnesses. I wound up buying a third relay and some extra wiring connectors to be able to have low-high speed control.

It looks like you have an 04 car. If so, you would have to rewire to get speed control. The 04 cars use a shunt coil in the motors for speed control and only two fan relays (with three-wire plugs to the fans). The 05-06 cars use a more traditional three-relay setup and no shunt coils in the motors (with two wires to each fan).

21 - 28 of 28 Posts