LS1GTO Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really toying with buying these parts next for my 2006 GTO. I really don't care about the price difference but wanted to see what is better for what I want.

1)I want to lower the car a little, 20mm drop looks good from what I've seen.
2)I want to run 275 rear tires on aftermarket wheels(would buy wheels/tires later)
3)More itnerested in drag racing and low 60' times without wheel hop, handling is a plus but not main goal
4)Better ride for highway driving?

Any input? Had my eye on the Pedders kits because I partial to RED suspension, haha.

·
GR-RRR!
8,313 Posts
Coil overs can get you some room up front to run wider wheels and tires, but they don't really help with that in back.

Personally, and I don't have any first hand experience with coil overs, I have been VERY happy with the Lovells 20mm drop springs, Koni Sport adjustable shocks and larger aftermarket sway bars and beefier end links. Handles a lot better than a 2-ton pig really should and I only have 235/40-18s, though they are really good Summer only 200 TW rated tires.

Point being, this is a really good all-around set up, not too complicated and not outrageously expensive. Want to just cruise? Just turn the shocks to full soft (still firmer than stock). Want to handle better on an autocross or road course or stiffen up the rear for drag racing? Turn the shocks up to stiffer or even full stiff. Full stiff is NOT recommended for just driving around on public streets, it is very punishing on bumps and such.

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
I've had more suspension set-ups than I can remember over the past 17 years and 4 GTO's. I've finally found the sweet spot that I love for great handling, compliant ride, stance, and price: Pedders Xa's.

I'm able to dial in the ride height exactly where I want it, and at 12 clicks up from full soft, the ride is firm but very "cruise-able" and not jarring at all. Second favorite was Lovells springs and a good strut/shock. My only complaint with a spring/strut/shock combo was the inability to change the ride height to my preference. The tolerances on these GTO's can be so off that every single spring I've used would always give me uneven ride heights that bugged me to no end. Coil-overs fixed that and now have a ride height on my 05 that is within 1/16" on all 4 corners.

I've never tracked/raced any car, so can't speak to how coil-overs would react in that situation.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
A real coil over setup doesnt use a spring for bags. But if you mean the same stuff thats on the car, the spring is smaller and youd need a tiny bag to fit. I have "coilovers" and swapped the little spring out for 2 sets of pedder springs and one set had bags. But running better springs would be preferred over band aid bags.

·
GR-RRR!
8,313 Posts
If I get a coil over setup can I use drag bags?

So generally speaking is a coil over setup going to be more firm and less comfortable than a spring/shock combo, however you get better handling and way more adjustability?

So if I'm down to these 2, which would you recommend? There pretty much the same price really.

1)GTO Pedders Sport GSR Package - Sport Packages - Suspension Packages - Suspension

OR

2)GTO Pedders Sport Xa Package - Sport Packages - Suspension Packages - Suspension
Well, option one offers no adjustability aside from sway bar adjustments so you pretty much get what you get.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what pro does the Pedders GSR package have over the Pedder's XA coilovers???? Any reason someone would get the GSR over the adjustability of the XA kit? I mean they are in the same ballpark for price so that shouldn't be a deciding factor.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I've had more suspension set-ups than I can remember over the past 17 years and 4 GTO's. I've finally found the sweet spot that I love for great handling, compliant ride, stance, and price: Pedders Xa's.

I'm able to dial in the ride height exactly where I want it, and at 12 clicks up from full soft, the ride is firm but very "cruise-able" and not jarring at all. Second favorite was Lovells springs and a good strut/shock. My only complaint with a spring/strut/shock combo was the inability to change the ride height to my preference. The tolerances on these GTO's can be so off that every single spring I've used would always give me uneven ride heights that bugged me to no end. Coil-overs fixed that and now have a ride height on my 05 that is within 1/16" on all 4 corners.

I've never tracked/raced any car, so can't speak to how coil-overs would react in that situation.
Some spring pad spacers would do that just as well.

Keep in mind coilovers need the threads taken care of or they will go to crap and you wont be able to adjust them again. I had to go through this and just ended up going back to a strut in the front.

Also if adjusting height then you need a new alignment (major adjustments).

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac GTO
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Coil overs can get you some room up front to run wider wheels and tires, but they don't really help with that in back.

Personally, and I don't have any first hand experience with coil overs, I have been VERY happy with the Lovells 20mm drop springs, Koni Sport adjustable shocks and larger aftermarket sway bars and beefier end links. Handles a lot better than a 2-ton pig really should and I only have 235/40-18s, though they are really good Summer only 200 TW rated tires.

Point being, this is a really good all-around set up, not too complicated and not outrageously expensive. Want to just cruise? Just turn the shocks to full soft (still firmer than stock). Want to handle better on an autocross or road course or stiffen up the rear for drag racing? Turn the shocks up to stiffer or even full stiff. Full stiff is NOT recommended for just driving around on public streets, it is very punishing on bumps and such.
Those Koni adjustables look nice performers, but I can't do yellow man. I rather sacrifice performance over yellow struts......

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
Some spring pad spacers would do that just as well.
Not in a situation where you need to lower one corner or want to dial in the same exact ride height all around. Coil overs are the only way to go if you want a precise ride height. Some folks may not care about that though, but it’s something to be aware of if ride height is a priority.

Your comment about the threads are very valid for anyone who may daily drive their car. I’d have covers on mine if I ever daily drove a coil over equipped vehicle.

• Love
Reactions: PBMunicorn

·
Worthless reject member
54,709 Posts
Not in a situation where you need to lower one corner or want to dial in the same exact ride height all around. Coil overs are the only way to go if you want a precise ride height. Some folks may not care about that though, but it’s something to be aware of if ride height is a priority.

Your comment about the threads are very valid for anyone who may daily drive their car. I’d have covers on mine if I ever daily drove a coil over equipped vehicle.
I dunno, ski. Seems like you should picked a car make and model that had a bit more QC from the factory.

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
So generally speaking is a coil over setup going to be more firm and less comfortable than a spring/shock combo, however you get better handling and way more adjustability?
Not really. All depends on the setup you build. The only definite is that coil-overs allow almost infinite height adjustability within their upper and lower limits. Most coil overs can only be maxed out around stock ride height, so that’s something to keep in mind should you need to raise the car at all. Doing that would require new longer/stiffer springs which can be bought from BC Racing.

Reactions: Reaperhwk

·
Administrator
9,200 Posts
I dunno, ski. Seems like you should picked a car make and model that had a bit more QC from the factory.
I’m talking about fractions of an inch. If I’m changing out my suspension, then I want the same exact ride height all the way around. One corner being 1/8” to 1/2” higher/lower than the other isn’t acceptable to me. Every GTO I’ve owned has had enough inconsistencies all around to drive me crazy. The left rear of my IBM 04 always sat 3/8” to 1/2” higher than all other corners with Pedders, King, and Lovells springs. Rears on all 4 of my GTO’s differed left to right too, but my IBM was the most extreme.

As I said, this may not even be something some folks might care about, but it sure was one of the driving forces behind me switching to coil overs.

·
Worthless reject member
54,709 Posts
I’m talking about fractions of an inch. If I’m changing out my suspension, then I want the same exact ride height all the way around. One corner being 1/8” to 1/2” higher/lower than the other isn’t acceptable to me. Every GTO I’ve owned has had enough inconsistencies all around to drive me crazy. The left rear of my IBM 04 always sat 3/8” to 1/2” higher than all other corners with Pedders, King, and Lovells springs. Rears on all 4 of my GTO’s differed left to right too, but my IBM was the most extreme.

As I said, this may not even be something some folks might care about, but it sure was one of the driving forces behind me switching to coil overs.
Both of my GTO's are like that as well. I think all of them are.

Friggin things were built by drunk koalas.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts