LS1GTO Forums banner
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
12,667 Posts
if I ever have stupid money to throw at a built car I'm going to design and make my own splined sway bar system. trick as all get out

oh and it's be electric.. 👺

·
Registered
11 Posts
as rich said, stiffer spring rates aren't always better. you can actually have less grip with too stiff a spring, as well as introduce handling characteristics you don't want. depending on the car, yes it can be better, but people throwing 1000 lb springs on is fairly unneeded many times. their cars don't produce the amount of downforce needed to necessitate such spring rates or aren't low enough to need to limit travel that much. your car will feel like crap, won't maintain constant contact with the road unless it is utterly smooth, and may have to deal with tuning out unwanted oversteer or understeer.
So, really the coilovers are meant for the track mainly and I'd be better off with some Koni sport yellows? I plan to upgrade the sway bars either way. I guess I had the impression that coilovers could make it a track machine but I could also adjust it to be soft enough to still hold a few bumpy roads. Any recommendations on spring brands I should look into? Also, if the cost of piecing all the stuff together is equal to the coilover kit, is it still the better way to go?
-Thanks for all the help

·
Worthless reject member
54,688 Posts
So, really the coilovers are meant for the track mainly and I'd be better off with some Koni sport yellows? I plan to upgrade the sway bars either way. I guess I had the impression that coilovers could make it a track machine but I could also adjust it to be soft enough to still hold a few bumpy roads. Any recommendations on spring brands I should look into? Also, if the cost of piecing all the stuff together is equal to the coilover kit, is it still the better way to go?
-Thanks for all the help
the main benefit coilovers offer is adjustability. You can swap out springs, adjust ride height, adjust damper valving settings. if you are serious and compete, you can benefit from such adjustments. A spring swap isn't quick with a coilover, but damping and ridr height adjustments are. they also make tons of coilover springs in different heights and rates. You can also get dampers with external reservoirs. Nothing else is really inherently better about them, and you can accomplish most of that by just swapping parts like struts, shocks, springs, sways... etc. you just won't have the ability to make changes as easily and you'll need you tear apart your whole suspension to go with new settings, or require a vendor or manufacturer to make a specific part for your application.

some coilovers are ricer trash parts that can actually make your car worse. not sure about those offered for the GTO, but chinesium ebay trash coilovers for a lot of cars are pretty common.

there's no reason a coilover can't ride nice and handle well at the same time. it depends on how you set it up.

stiffer swaybars don't automatically make for a bad ride, either. swaybar spring rate only manifests itself when the suspension on one side is trying to do something different than the other. which does happen fairly constantly, but you're not going to notice it much unless you're pushing the car or if you're going over a fairly uneven surface.

like i said before, suspension setups need to be thought out. slapping parts on, going full stiff, and going full send is not the way.

·
Worthless reject member
54,688 Posts
and oh, just realize that the GTO isn't really a track machine. the suspension screams commuter passenger car, not track missile. Even upgrading parts will not fix the inherent limitations of the suspension design.

it isn't horrible, though. plenty of cars well known for their handling ability (and ability to kill their drivers) have a semi-trailing arm rear suspension. macpherson strut fronts with the radius rod aren't great, but you can make it work.

or you could just miata.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would LOVE to miata. But I also love the GTO, and I know that I will never get it to be a miata. They are built for 2 completely different experiences. But I do want to get it away from the Muscle car image and make it more like a genuine sports car. I cant make a hippo do ballet, but maybe I can make her do a good riverdance.

No I am not getting parts off ebay. I want to get direct from the maker. I'm thinking on Pedders or Koni.

·
Administrator
9,197 Posts
Based upon what YOU say you’re going to use the car for, and your desire to stick with Pedders or Koni, I’m going to personally (from experience) recommend starting with just Pedders Xa’s and either theirs or Whiteline radius rod bushings. Put those on, see how the car feels to you, then begin to add more parts like sway bars or additional bushings if you want something more. Xa’s on an otherwise stock suspensioned GTO are an amazing upgrade, and ride extremely well as long as you don’t go over 15 clicks from full soft. I’ll quantify this by my wife saying she thought all of my GTO’s rode nearly the same as our current stock Scat Packs (firm but comfortable).

I’m refraining on commenting on Koni’s as I have no experience with them.

At the end of that day, you just need to take everyone’s recommendations into account and formulate a plan that works for you. There really is no right or wrong answer as we all have our own idea of how we want our car to behave. Trial and error applies here just like exhaust systems.

·
Pontiac Fanboy
1,589 Posts
I would LOVE to miata. But I also love the GTO, and I know that I will never get it to be a miata. They are built for 2 completely different experiences. But I do want to get it away from the Muscle car image and make it more like a genuine sports car. I cant make a hippo do ballet, but maybe I can make her do a good riverdance.
Both is the answer. 😁

I had Konis, they were quite good even with my crap Eibach springs. By the time I knew my head from my ass to replace parts properly, I was chasing 275 front tires and needed coilovers.
Get Konis if you're after that Grand Touring road car life. Coilovers won't make it a sports car Miat, trust me.

·
Have Bar, Will Travel
12,667 Posts
I'd agree with some of that other post too. Yes swaysshould only come into play when uneven ness happens. It's often on the road. Hence why I say don't go full stiff on public roads. Might as well put stiffer springs on

I'd also say yes full or double adjustable coilovers are good for competition BUT you have to tune that. It takes time to do it right and people underestimate what that takes

Spring and shock packages from reputable companies do that tuning with a math model and modern adjuable internal valves. Inertia adjustable valves in current stuff is pretty trick but has limits

Good luck but I'd save those papers from coilovers and buy other stuff like engine tuning or whatever

101 - 109 of 109 Posts