LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinkin about removing the screen on the maf is that a good idea or will i mess my maf or engine up just seeing because i did this on my 2001 ss and it was fine but just wanted to see if anyone has done this on there gto

·
Been here for a long time...
4,662 Posts
I would leave it. It helps straighten the airflow into the MAF to get a truer reading. Plus it also collects any debris that my get passed by the filter.

my 2 cents :)

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
StealthGto said:
thanx

What do u guys think about TB bypass on this car worth it or no
i believe i saw a dyno sheet that said it was about 1 hp. but hey, every little bit helps, right.

if you are gonna be driving your car in the cold weather than i wouldn't. the purpose of the coolant flow into the TB is warm up the air a little bit before it hits the intake manifold. my mechanic buddy told me that EXTREMELY cold air isn't good for it.

·
Been here for a long time...
4,662 Posts
You can do it. I've done it since the late 80's on all of my cars. Its really only there to keep the throttle blades sticking at some rediculous low temperature ~-40 degrees or so. Being a manufacturer, you have to take into effect all who might own the car.

·
--Insert witty comment here--
570 Posts
Rob is correct, it is there to keep the throttle blades from freezing in extreme cold. I've done the bypass on my LT1 and LS1 cars here in Vegas, no need for it here.
Plus, it makes it easier to remove your TB if you decide to port it.
:D

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Rob said:
I would leave it. It helps straighten the airflow into the MAF to get a truer reading. Plus it also collects any debris that my get passed by the filter.

my 2 cents :)
Right idea - but opposite concept. The screen actually makes the airflow less 'straight' because you need it to be mixed in order to get an accurate reading. Think about dropping a couple of ice cubes into a warm glass - you can't get an accurate temperature reading of the liquid until it is thoroughly mixed up. Same thing with airfow - it is much better for overall sensing to have it 'mixed up' by the screen.
Dan

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
It IS there for the air to be straightened. However, that's when it is used with stock air intake systems that have huge air silencers/boxes and other items that are installed to help quell intake air noise. Since this air is moviing in 20 different directions when it hits the MAF, the screen is there to straighten to accurately flow across the thermistors.

Since we all here have CAI's which remove all this crap an in effect have a straight shot of air right into it, the screen isn't needed. IT isn't a power adder in terms of dyno proven HP, it more or less will create a sharper throttle response due to the air being able to cross those thermistors quicker on throttle transitions.

As to doing a TB bypass, it's done to eliminate icing in cold climates. I've bypassed it before and driven in below zero temps without a problem. Once the engine warms up, it isn't an issue really anyway. It's just one more additional security system GM puts in to protect it's engine for operational requirements. You know if they didn't have that and granny got into her Buick on a -20 day, gets a few miles away from home and the car stutters and stalls, due to the TB icing, she'd be at the dealer pissing and moaning!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts