LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the grind noise coming from the rear of the car causing the TC to activate. It turns out that the bolts in the rear control arm had worked their way loose and I had sheered one of the bolts off and Im sure was working on the next one. I know I am not the only one with the problem and I wanted to warn everyone to just give a check to their control arm bolts. Im just worried it may be an issue like the 04s had with there half shaft bolts. The guys at Rossi were top notch.

I was having problems with my track II prior. they aligned the car more than once yet the height was uneven side to side. The back of the car seemed to bounce a bit much over bumps and the car even pushed a bit in turns which did not seem right. After they tried to align the car for a second time the height was a bit high the steering wheel off center and as soon as i drove home the height dropped again. It seems to be that all of these problems were caused by those damn bolts being loose the control arm was not controlling anything allowing inbalance in the suspension and well just generally causing havoc. I am now 100% and the car has never felt better I am so happy :turbonaug . The car sits lower and even on both sides I'll post new pics of my slight rake that now looks even more mean than before.

One satisfied customer :patriot:

·
Registered
924 Posts
This may sound pathetic, but can you post pics of where I might be lookin for that? I'd like to look into mine too. I'm sure you have to take that black plastic shroud off huh.

·
Beer Geek
3,713 Posts
Silver Ecstasy said:
This may sound pathetic, but can you post pics of where I might be lookin for that? I'd like to look into mine too. I'm sure you have to take that black plastic shroud off huh.
The shroud can stay. A lift would be real handy though.

Looking at the rear end from underneath, the easy pieces to identify are the drive shaft, differential and axle shafts. Easy, right?

From there, the huge horseshoe piece that bolts to the floor pan under each rear seat is the rear cradle.

The two biggest pieces remaining, one left and one right, are the rear lower control arms. They are kinda triangular shaped. One corner of the triangle meets the rear wheel. The opposite edge of the triangle bolts to the rear of the floor pan. It is these triangle shape to floor pan pieces VI is describing.

Cluttering up the picture are the toe rods, round threaded pieces that run mostly inboard/outboard and the rear sway bar endlinks that run mostly vertically.

Does that help? Ocne you ahve a clear picture you can see these with the car on the floor, but a lift sure helps the first couple times through.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Right I hear ya. I've had the same issue that he had, hence the thread I started about "Low Traction/Rear binding up". I'm really wondering if I might have the same issue since my car does it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for posting what was causing this for you. Ive had this problem as well and couldnt figure it out. Im going to go check my rear Control Arm bolts now, does anyone know the torque values for these bolts? Also Which CA bolts specifically where loose on yours?

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish I could tell you the exacts. I did not get to talk to the tech that worked on the car just the writer and all he said was left rear control arm bolts loose one sheered off. He did not have the specifics cause I asked. And not sure of the torque values either sorry. I wish I could help further but I hope this is your problem as well so you can at least fix it.

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but of course no problem Frank

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey frank lets see what we can do about a picture and description of what was wrong with my car maybe use your car to point out the control arm bolts and post it? These guys could use the help.

·
All Show and a l'il go!
3,482 Posts
ViciousImpulse said:
Hey frank lets see what we can do about a picture and description of what was wrong with my car maybe use your car to point out the control arm bolts and post it? These guys could use the help.
+1 Torque numbers also please

·
The ORIGINAL Robofuzz
1,463 Posts
I got these out of the manual since I am not sure exactly what bolts we are talking about:

Brake Shield to Rear Lower Control Arm Lower Bolt: 65 lb ft
Brake Shield to Rear Lower Control Arm Upper TORX Bolt: 55 lb ft
Rear Caliper to Control Arm Bolt: 63 lb ft
Rear Suspension to Control Arm Nut and Bolt: 74 lb ft
Shock Absorber to Control Arm Bolt: 85 lb ft

·
18,220 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...Mine acts a little funny on the highway and it may or may not be related...

One note for the DIY'er: torque the control arms with the vehicle's weight on it (not 'hanging down'), otherwise you'll pre-load the suspension when you lower it back down. Makes it kind of hard for us people stuck at home doing this. I miss my Jeep's clearance when doing that sort of thing!

·
The ORIGINAL Robofuzz
1,463 Posts
JNR said:
Thanks for the heads up...Mine acts a little funny on the highway and it may or may not be related...

One note for the DIY'er: torque the control arms with the vehicle's weight on it (not 'hanging down'), otherwise you'll pre-load the suspension when you lower it back down. Makes it kind of hard for us people stuck at home doing this. I miss my Jeep's clearance when doing that sort of thing!
A pair of Rhino ramps makes the job much easier. :)

·
18,220 Posts
Yeah, that's true. I need to get some other ramps. Mine are too steep to go up the front (hits the fascia), but haven't tried backing onto them (works on the Galant). If I can ever get off my laziness, I should make some extensions to break the angle...They used to sell those, but not sure if they still do? (I have the typical, older metal ramps).

[edit - thanks for the torque ratings...It sounds like the hardware that fastens the control arm to the frame and/or 'axle' or hub flange assy. (can't think of the name of that unit) ...I know on my Jeep, the Torque was up there (~120ft./lb. IIRC) for the arms, but that was on a Solid Axle application.

Kind of scary that one of your bolts sheared! Luckily it's in the rear. If that happened on my Jeep, where the front control arms were parallel to the cars front, it just seems that could cause it to lose control!

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeah it would grind as i pulled away even make the car hesitate and put on the low traction signal. Than you hear like two pops or grinds and the car would go. It got to the point that anytime I was driving slow I could hear something pop/grinding in the back. quite disturbing. The back of my car didnt wanna stay down either like over little bumps it felt like the car was bouncing hard much harder than it should especially with the big bore shocks i have on there.

·
= Ol Dirty Ed
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to see if anyone else diagnosed their problem and had the same one as me? I wanna know if my info helped thanks guys I surely hope it helped someone.

·
Parting My GTO Out
1,833 Posts
I've never had this problem and I hope I never do. The struts and bushings have been enough pain for me.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts