LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen reliable information on wheel and tire upgrades that fit with no (or minimal) modifications?
Adding a 17x11" wheel & 315/35-17 tire to the back of my 2002 Camaro SS really improved the car's appearance, and I wonder if anything similar is possible on the GTO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
RKHiPerformance said:
Has anyone seen reliable information on wheel and tire upgrades that fit with no (or minimal) modifications?
Adding a 17x11" wheel & 315/35-17 tire to the back of my 2002 Camaro SS really improved the car's appearance, and I wonder if anything similar is possible on the GTO.
I have been lurking :sneaky: around this board since my test drive last year in an "04" Black A4 GTO and I did see a post where a guy put his 17X9 SS Camaro wheels on the back of his "04" without any modification, and had no rubbing issues whatsoever, but he posted the +55 mm offset rubbed on the front struts so they would not work on the front end! I believe he even posted some pics!

I myself run the 17X11 ZR1 style wheels on the back of my Z, but I run the Dunlop 8000s 335/35/17's out back and I have a set of matching 16X8's out front with the factory 245/50/16's size!

So when I eventually get my "05" or "06" Goat I will be trying out the 16X8, 17x11 combo on it!

·
Registered
14,990 Posts
Orange Krush said:
So when I eventually get my "05" or "06" Goat I will be trying out the 16X8, 17x11 combo on it!
Good luck with that... :gr_jest: Seriously you would need VERY MAJOR mods to get that to even be close to work on a GTO.

8" wide front (possible 8.5" with perfect offset and alignment) and 9" wide back with no fender rolling (only if the proper offset and limited tires)

The GTO world is not easy for rims&tires :( Unless you want to stick with stock sizes that is and even then the Aftermarket is vewry limited, without getting into custom built wheels $$$$

·
Former Mach-1 owner
259 Posts
Here is a guy who can get those 17x11s to fit your GTO...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Flashpoint said:
Good luck with that... :gr_jest: Seriously you would need VERY MAJOR mods to get that to even be close to work on a GTO.

8" wide front (possible 8.5" with perfect offset and alignment) and 9" wide back with no fender rolling (only if the proper offset and limited tires)

The GTO world is not easy for rims&tires :( Unless you want to stick with stock sizes that is and even then the Aftermarket is vewry limited, without getting into custom built wheels $$$$
No luck needed, but thanx anyways! :D

Just some time, patience, and a little ingenuity!

I remember way back in "99" when all the nay sayers said "335's" would never fit on the rear of a Camaro, but Lo and behold I've been running them ever since without a problem.

Where there is a will there is a way. :judge:

·
that's right,I'm runnin' 11's
1,522 Posts
how did he get the camaro wheels on
don't they have a different bolt pattern?

·
I like boobs.
6,581 Posts
I believe a few people might be running 285's but not without trimming the hell out of the fender lips and banging on the inner fender some. That would be after ordering a wheel with a flawless offset. I run 275's on 18x9's with slight rubbing on the fender lips which are also rolled. Their is no way to roll the lips any further than I did without damaging the fender in the process and their is no way to run a wider wheel without it sticking out or into the strut/control arm and having major issues under heavy acceleration.

·
Registered
460 Posts
RKHiPerformance said:
The simple answer to your question is NO. The key being you specified that you wanted "no (or minimal) modifications".

Now, if you are serious about rolling up your sleeves and getting after it, then you can put 295/35-19s in the back; or at least the boys at BMR were able to.

Here is the a couple of C&Ps of the text from their GTO buildup:

"At this point we felt it was necessary to address the look and stance of the car with a set of wheels and tires for the street. I am extremely picky when it comes to wheel/tire/wheelwell ratio and I knew the car needed to be lowered slightly so the first thing we did was install a set of our BMR lowering springs to lose about an inch of fender gap. Once the car was sitting at the proper height, we made a lot of careful measurements to have some custom wheels made for us by I-Forged. Our initial goal was to mini-tub the rear for a set of 345/30R19" tires but it's just not possible with the rear suspension layout. In the end, the wheels we ended up choosing are the I-Forged Aero's in a 18" x 8" front and a 19" x 10" rear. These take approximately 6 weeks to build which gave us plenty of time to prepare the car for them.

The wheels ordered for the rear had an extra 1/2" of width on the outside and an additional 1.5" on the inside so we began work on the wheelwells to accomodate them.

This involved notching the A-arms, sectioning the floorpan to move the wheeltubs over, and spacing the shocks inboard. We also decided at this point to upgrade the shocks with some 12 way adjustable QA1 Aluma Stars. Since QA1 does not make a shock for this application, we located one that was the correct overall length when compressed and machined an adapter to make it compatible (these shocks with the modified adapter are available through BMR).

All-in-all it took about 3 full days of work to modify the fenderwells but the end result was worth it as seen in the images below. Nothing beats the looks of a car with the right stance. Yokohama AVS Sports were used with a P295/35ZR19 on the rear and P245/40ZR18's on the front. We specifically chose a taller, 27.5" rear tire to give the car a slight rake and to attempt to visually shrink the rear quarter panel height. This also makes the car appear to be lower than it actually is.

To the hardcore drag race crowd, this mod may not be too appealing however if you follow along with the rest of the build you will see that the wheelwell mods pay off in the end."

Full article is at: http://www.bmrfabrication.com/GTObuildup.htm

·
WUT?!?!?!?!?!
6,524 Posts
Man...that BMR GTO looks hot....wish I had the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

·
Banned
400 Posts
I have 10's on the rear and if you went any wider you would have to go to the back side of the wheel. Everything is so close now that you would have to cut the lower control arm and modify the fender well. Roll fenders also. My fenders are rolled. On curb, at a hrad angle, my tire will rub slightly on the back side of the inner fender near the shock area. Very minor. No way is 11's going to fit without major mods.

·
Let's Build Some Hurtin Bombs
969 Posts
I have 19's on my Goat and no rubbing even when peeps r in the back

·
Not a winner?
7,438 Posts
my freind put some modified mustang roh drift r's. 10 inch rims with a little under 12 inchs worth of tire. and 3 inch lip. NO modification of the fenders. seems that he found the perfect offset. just had to get the lug pattern drilled a little. can't way to buy them from him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts