LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this problem, I have a yellow gto and the rear bumper and deck lid has black soot all over it after a few days of driving just plain nasty looking.

My wife and I work and live in the same place and drive the same route and here car is clean as can be but mine is just full of black soot from the top of the deck lid to the bottom of the cover.

It almost looks like the car is running rich and its exhaust residue or something, but if anyone else has this problem let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
No problem here.
Can't imagine why it would be running rich and not throwing codes. I assuming it not, right?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Its brake dust. Do yourself a favor, do the Zaino treatment to the car.

Before I did it, this stuff clinged to the rear bumper and behind the rear wheels. Once I put Zaino on, it cut that down tremendously, but it is still there.

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake dust???? I have never had a car dump that much brake dust ever, you would think by now the brake pads would be gone,lol.

Mlc, I'm not saying for sure its running rich but thats just really what it looks like to me.

Spinning the tires would do it but alittle bigger chunks,hehe.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree, I've never had one with this much dust, but thats what it is.

Look on your lower body panels behind the front wheels, you will see the same dust. You will also find it on your wheels. Take a sample of the wheels and off the body and you will find they are the same.

·
Can't help ya, Sorry.
14,481 Posts
Break and road dust. It shows up more on the yellow car but we all have it. Zaino does help a lot.

·
Got V8
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the wild part the rims are clean, I'm not trying to be some kinda freak about this but it gets old when you wash a car and you drive it one day and there's black crap all over the back of it.

I don't think its brake or road dust I mean some is of coarse, I washed my wifes car and mine the same day and drove the same road and she works and lives with me so there's the same distance for both cars, if you rub your finger over the rear bumper on her car your finger tip is brown just dust no biggie but if you do the same to my car your finger is black.

·
Premium Member
8,773 Posts
I agree the Zaino works great but here is another trick.
:sneaky: Some of you will remember that flammable tanker trucks used to
use anti static straps or a hainging chain.

:secret: Well I put a small static strap under the car near center by transmission.
You can't see it unless you are lookin for it.
It works great for the dust problem.

JM2C Worth

·
Admin
9,705 Posts
OHH YEA!!! I hate it. It's from the exhaust and some road dirt. My entire back of my car gets bad...and i never drive my car!

Tried waxing it but it still comes back. Once I move I'll spend more time waxing and polishing and hopfully it'll get better. If you dust it off it will come back right away darker!

Sorry I didnt see this thread sooner, the non-yellow guys dont understand what we go thru.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
DevilYellow said:
OHH YEA!!! I hate it. It's from the exhaust and some road dirt. My entire back of my car gets bad...and i never drive my car!

Tried waxing it but it still comes back. Once I move I'll spend more time waxing and polishing and hopfully it'll get better. If you dust it off it will come back right away darker!

Sorry I didnt see this thread sooner, the non-yellow guys dont understand what we go thru.
yeah, not to mention the fact that your cars get LOTS of attention. probably more than any other color.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
DevilYellow said:

And they say Black is hard to keep clean... Hmmm, maybe not the hardest after all :cool:

·
NEQuicksilver
8 Posts
ukcuf said:
Does anyone have this problem, I have a yellow gto and the rear bumper and deck lid has black soot all over it after a few days of driving just plain nasty looking.

My wife and I work and live in the same place and drive the same route and here car is clean as can be but mine is just full of black soot from the top of the deck lid to the bottom of the cover.

It almost looks like the car is running rich and its exhaust residue or something, but if anyone else has this problem let me know.

Thanks

Definately brake dust. I notice it on the lower panels and back of my silver goat. Oddly, the wheels do not get a build up like my other cars. The GTO's wheels may be allowing for more efficient airflow.

·
3,327 Posts
DevilYellow said:
I agree 100%. I get the same thing. I have noticed that there is less of it now that I have the Zaino on. But anything dark/black just glares at you on the Yellow.

·
Go Tigers!
2,455 Posts
I get some on the rear fender, but I've never seen any on the top of the rear bumper.
I just wipe it off the back lower fender. I've never really have noticed. I don't drive
this car hard, except for occasional quick take offs, so maybe this has something to do with it, and I have never had to really get on the brakes.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Yep, I had the same exact problem with my Torrid Red GTO and I even started a thread on it some time ago. In other words, this problem has come up before. In my case, anyway, it turns out that STATIC ELECTRICITY causes all the brake dust, rubber, road soot, and other particles to cling to the car like a remora to a shark. Meguires (sp?) NXT car wash soap has an anti-static ingredient that takes care of the problem. Look for a car wash soap that has an anit-static ingredient and your problem may be solved.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts