LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Red/Black 6 speed on order and the dealer estimates that it won't be here until April or May. They have a Black/Black 6 speed that should be here in the next couple of days. The Sales Manager just offered to sell me the Black one for MSRP (same deal they gave me on the Red one) and give me what I want for my Corvette in trade. The only reason that I'm hesitating is that I've never had a black car because I've always heard that they are a real pain in the a$$ to keep clean. The GTO will be parked in my garage most of the time and will not be my daily driver. So my question is to all you folks with black GTO's (and anyone else with and opinion); would you go for the black or wait for the red?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Black VS RED!!!!!

ta206 said:
I have a Red/Black 6 speed on order and the dealer estimates that it won't be here until April or May. They have a Black/Black 6 speed that should be here in the next couple of days. The Sales Manager just offered to sell me the Black one for MSRP (same deal they gave me on the Red one) and give me what I want for my Corvette in trade. The only reason that I'm hesitating is that I've never had a black car because I've always heard that they are a real pain in the a$$ to keep clean. The GTO will be parked in my garage most of the time and will not be my daily driver. So my question is to all you folks with black GTO's (and anyone else with and opinion); would you go for the black or wait for the red?
At least sit in the black and look at it as formal! I have red 67 for 34 yrs now and the maintenance was just as constant as black. A big difference between my red 67 and my blk 04 is that the blk has a far more HULK muscle look to it!!! BEST to ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Yes, it has a car seat
1,884 Posts
Ultimately, if you want the black car get it - otherwise wait for red.

Black on black sounds very, VERY hot in the summer...

·
Growing up is an option
17,296 Posts
Hi, I have a Blk/Blk GTP right now (with a Blk/Rd GTO on order) and I drive it year round. Although it does show dirt and especially salt in the winter, it looks great when it's clean. Strangely enough white is the easiest color to keep clean and stranger still the GTO doesn't come in that color. IMHO I also think red draws a little more police attention.

·
3,327 Posts
svede1212 said:
Hi, I have a Blk/Blk GTP right now (with a Blk/Rd GTO on order) and I drive it year round. Although it does show dirt and especially salt in the winter, it looks great when it's clean. Strangely enough white is the easiest color to keep clean and stranger still the GTO doesn't come in that color. IMHO I also think red draws a little more police attention.
True, Red does draw a little more police attention. The only color that I have actually seen in person is my Yellow Jacket, and I am pretty sure that will draw the police attention too. Of course none of us here would drive over the speed limit, right? :sneaky: I dont think that white would look very good with the car. In terms of keeping the car looking clean, I would think that Quicksilver would be the way to go.

Several threads have discussed how the black seems to be a 'dust magnet'. You might ask Tails about rain, he is in Washington, and I hear that between rainstorms there, it drizzels. :D :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
svede1212 said:
Strangely enough white is the easiest color to keep clean and stranger still the GTO doesn't come in that color. IMHO I also think red draws a little more police attention.
I am in total agreement that white requires less maintanance than other colors. I try to buy white cars whenever possible and I wish I could in this case, but obviously I can't. And while red might draw police attention, I think it does so because it draws everyone's attention (including mine). And besides, if I don't break the law, then I won't have to worry about that.

And I also agree with rschumacherfan1 that black/black will be VERY hot here in South Florida in the summer. My only consolation is that the car will spend 95% of its time in my garage and I'm hoping that the fine Australian air conditioning will be up to the task. After all, it gets pretty hot down under, too.

But don't think that I've made up my mind to go for the black. I'm still very interested in everyone else's experiences. After all, that's what this forum is for.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have a black GTP and there is no comparision between the paint used on it and the GTO. You have to see the black on the GTO to appreciate it. The GTO is a metallic and has a lot more depth and shading then my GTP. I bought the impulse blue because I didn't want another black car but after seeing the phantom in person there is no similiarities.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have had a red/red on order forever. Got sick and tired of the crap and started looking at the other colors. You have gotta see the black to believe how nice it is. We just drove our Black/red M6 home last night. Extremely happy with the decision. I have a red Bimmer. It takes constant work to clean as well. The GTO black is more like dark metallic charcoal.
Gordon

·
Registered
835 Posts
I love my black gto, of course I had a black gtp, a black z28, a black impala, I guess I kinda like black. It is a pain to keep clean and you'll want to wax it up good and get a duster. BUT, when it is clean I don't think anything else even comes close.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I suspect that which ever one you see first you're going to love. I originally ordered black w/red interior but once I saw black on black I was impressed on how classy it looks, and with the additionof some chrome 18's, it stands out that much more. But I think the Impulse Blue and the red both look really good too, all of them look good. I have to see a Barbados in person and I'm not sure about purple interior, and I didn't go for silver only because my last two playtoys (80 Vette and 72 Monte) were silver. You just have to see them all I guess.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts