LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Gto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear brake line rusted out so I replaced all 8 lines with stainless steel ones. I also installed speed bleeders at the same time. I went to bleed the brakes and only the back ones bled out the front ones will not pass fluid - tried vacuum brake bleeder and still nothing, also tried taking for drive and doing emergency stop - the backs grabbed but nothing up front... any ideas

·
Registered
413 Posts
Keep pumping/might need to bleed the master/master went bad (ive had it happen after replacing a line..coincidence)/abs unit is clogged?

·
Worthless reject member
41,612 Posts
Why would you drive it knowing the fronts weren't even close to being bled?

You might need someone with a tech ii to help you bleed it. Sounds like the abs valves need to be open while bleeding or something of that nature.

·
Registered
2006 Gto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why would you drive it knowing the fronts weren't even close to being bled?

You might need someone with a tech ii to help you bleed it. Sounds like the abs valves need to be open while bleeding or something of that nature.
I’ve read posts to drive it and try and get abs to open with emergency stopping- didn’t like the idea but I’m game for anything rite now / brakes were perfect until I changed hard lines :/

·
Administrator
8,448 Posts
Sounds like you got air into the ABS unit if you can’t get the fronts to bleed. If so, you need a tech 2 to bleed them.

Anyone who gives advice to go do emergency stopping to try and activate the ABS unit with non functioning front brakes is deserving of a Darwin Award.

·
Worthless reject member
41,612 Posts
I’ve read posts to drive it and try and get abs to open with emergency stopping- didn’t like the idea but I’m game for anything rite now / brakes were perfect until I changed hard lines :/
that trick works for crap. you need to use a tech ii.

i've used magnets on the abs block of my bravada (basically the olds version of a blazer) to open the abs valves, and jumped the abs motor. it might be possible to do the same on a gto, but i would rather use a tech ii if i had access to one.

·
Administrator
20,478 Posts
Yep if you get air past the ABS you need a tech II to bleed them right. Huge PITA.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I think I'd use this excuse to consider a Tech II clone. I've always wanted one. Here's an example. Link
They vary in price but eventually the guys at dealerships will forget how to even spell Pontiac, so that would be my backup plan.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
That's how you wreck your car and kill people.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac GTO
407 Posts
Are you sure the new lines for the front are not pinched/clogged anywhere between the master and the calipers? I'm assuming you already have air everywhere by completely changing all lines already, so I would start from the master and work my way down. Unscrew the front line portion from the master and check the fluid starts to leak out from there, then go to the ABS input side, ABS output side for each wheel, and finally, down at the caliper connection at each front wheel. That should be obvious, but double check that the lines for the ABS input/output are not flipped?

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Are you sure the new lines for the front are not pinched/clogged anywhere between the master and the calipers? I'm assuming you already have air everywhere by completely changing all lines already, so I would start from the master and work my way down. Unscrew the front line portion from the master and check the fluid starts to leak out from there, then go to the ABS input side, ABS output side for each wheel, and finally, down at the caliper connection at each front wheel. That should be obvious, but double check that the lines for the ABS input/output are not flipped?
If there is already air in the ABS, it will need a Tech-II to bleed the ABS unit before any fluid will get to the calipers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts