LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, got a couple quick questions. My first oil change is coming up and I can't get my jack under it. So, I think I will buy some Rhino Ramps from Advance Auto and use those, plus I am going to use them to change the diff fluid on my Mustang.

1. Will the GTO run up them ok without hitting the front bumper?

2. Do I have to remove the skidplate to do an oil change?

3. (I know I said a couple, but..) Anyone know the torque spec of the drain plug?

Thanks!

·
17D
442 Posts
scotty7676 said:
Hey all, got a couple quick questions. My first oil change is coming up and I can't get my jack under it. So, I think I will buy some Rhino Ramps from Advance Auto and use those, plus I am going to use them to change the diff fluid on my Mustang.

3. (I know I said a couple, but..) Anyone know the torque spec of the drain plug?

Thanks!
1. yes...youll be fine

2. yes

3. "tight enough"

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
scotty7676 said:

Thanks!
1. My 04 is fine on the ramps so yours should be OK

2. Some remove 3 bolts and swing the skidplate aside, personally, I remove it for an oil change

3. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Important: Before installing the new oil filter, ensure that the old oil filter gasket has been removed. If not, remove the old gasket. Install the oil filter (437) to the engine block. Tighten the engine oil filter to 30 Nm (22 ft. lbs.) .
Install the oil pan drain plug. Tighten the oil pan drain plug to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
Lower the vehicle.

·
99% Stock
4,968 Posts
My Rhino ramps work fine, but they have a tendency to be pushed forward, depending on how slippery the floor surface is (my previous FWD cars never did this).

The clearance is not too big, so I make sure to go up and down slowly. My garage floor is about 1/2 inch higher than the driveway which slopes down, I usually back my GTO into the garage with the front wheels right at the threshold, put the ramps facing out onto the driveway surface, in front of the front wheels, and then drive up on the ramps, this gives me a bit more clearance. Plus the car is more level like this allowing to drain more oil (the drain plug is facing the side of the car)

·
Registered
350 Posts
ruski said:
My Rhino ramps work fine, but they have a tendency to be pushed forward, depending on how slippery the floor surface is (my previous FWD cars never did this).

The clearance is not too big, so I make sure to go up and down slowly. My garage floor is about 1/2 inch higher than the driveway which slopes down, I usually back my GTO into the garage with the front wheels right at the threshold, put the ramps facing out onto the driveway surface, in front of the front wheels, and then drive up on the ramps, this gives me a bit more clearance. Plus the car is more level like this allowing to drain more oil (the drain plug is facing the side of the car)

I do the same thing for the same reasons. My Rhino ramps love to slide on my garage floor. I've even thought about drill a couple holes in the garage floor to drop a bolt through the ramp and into the hole for an anchor.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the torque specs and the ideas on backing in the garage. That is exactly what I was looking for! I also have a 1/2" drop going out of the garage, so I will try that.

I stripped the drain plug in my motorcycle, even after doing hundreds of oil changes. Ever since then I have carefully torqued that plug.

·
99% Stock
4,968 Posts
rico750sxi said:
I do the same thing for the same reasons. My Rhino ramps love to slide on my garage floor. I've even thought about drill a couple holes in the garage floor to drop a bolt through the ramp and into the hole for an anchor.
My garage floor is pretty slippery, but the brick paved driveway is not too bad, especially if the wheel presses down on the start of the ramp from the height of the garage floor lip.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
ruski said:
Horrible time with mine being pushed forward. I had to get rubber matting to place underneath the ramps to prevent them from moving in my garage. Unless you have some sort of rough surface to place the Rhono's on, they will slip, at least with my experiences.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I can still use my Rhino ramps with my King Spring's lowered front. Its tight but still no scrapes. :D

·
RIP George...
2,163 Posts
How about using the same ramps with an SAP front facia extension? Anyone tried it yet?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Those things are a bad idea. Some people hate 'em. Here is why I do:
Backing up to the ramps for some exhaust work, gave it some gas.
(a little more tricky since my goat has aftermarket converter and cam)
Suddenly the ramps shot forward and car slams down trapping ramps
about mid way. It hit HARD. Hard enough to worry about bending
the frame. Had to get a jack and pry the mangled ramps free.
Jacks are not that expensive.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I did manage to drive right over them in the wife's Grand Prix one time. :eek2:
Fortunately the way the ground clearance is on the GP I was able to slide them right out without any noticeable damage to the ramps or the car.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
radkon said:
I did manage to drive right over them in the wife's Grand Prix one time. :eek2:
Been there. Did it on my TA and my 93 grandam. I've always hated ramps since then, but they can be made to work.

I'm still considering drilling some holes in my garage floor to slide bolts in to hold the ramps put.

·
99% Stock
4,968 Posts
stevedelegard said:
Those things are a bad idea. Some people hate 'em. Here is why I do:
Backing up to the ramps for some exhaust work, gave it some gas.
(a little more tricky since my goat has aftermarket converter and cam)
Suddenly the ramps shot forward and car slams down trapping ramps
about mid way. It hit HARD. Hard enough to worry about bending
the frame. Had to get a jack and pry the mangled ramps free.
Jacks are not that expensive.
I never thought about backing up onto the ramps. Sounds kind of like a scary proposition.

·
Come get some
180 Posts
I haven't had any problems with mine slipping out. Of course, I have only have had the car up on them like 4 times. My garage floor is pretty smooth, as well. I just put them in front of the wheels and give them a good kick so that they wedge underneath the tires. This seems to load up the rubber gripper on the bottom enough.

·
99% Stock
4,968 Posts
firstcapgoat said:
I haven't had any problems with mine slipping out. Of course, I have only have had the car up on them like 4 times. My garage floor is pretty smooth, as well. I just put them in front of the wheels and give them a good kick so that they wedge underneath the tires. This seems to load up the rubber gripper on the bottom enough.

Yes, I forgot to mention the kick. I thought I was the only one who figured out the kick trick.

P.S. I guess I already mentioned it once in the past:
http://www.ls2gto.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1544368&postcount=7

·
Come get some
180 Posts
ruski said:
Yes, I forgot to mention the kick. I thought I was the only one who figured out the kick trick.
I guess great minds think a like. :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts