LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I meant to post this last night, but since I've already wasted a half day at work surfing this forum, I'll post it now. :D

I wanted to remove the trunk light bulb so when I'm showing the car at the "cruise in" I wouldn't have to worry about battery drain by leaving the trunk open. In the process of "popping" out the lense, the bulb contacts shorted against the trunk lid and blew the 10 amp "interior lighting" fuse.

I couldn't believe the contacts were exposed like that. Naughty, naughty. Be advised, if you start disassembling your car for whatever reason, it's probably a good idea to at LEAST pull the proper fuse first. Better yet, disconnect the negative side of the battery.

Still, you would NOT expect to have to pull a fuse or disconnect the battery just to change a bulb. Those contacts should NOT be exposed.

·
Captain Thread Killer returns
21,898 Posts
FLORIT said:
I meant to post this last night, but since I've already wasted a half day at work surfing this forum, I'll post it now. :D

I wanted to remove the trunk light bulb so when I'm showing the car at the "cruise in" I wouldn't have to worry about battery drain by leaving the trunk open. In the process of "popping" out the lense, the bulb contacts shorted against the trunk lid and blew the 10 amp "interior lighting" fuse.
QUOTE]

I was under the impression that the light goes off by itself after a specified time?

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point, Dbluegoat. It might. I'll peruse the Owner's Manual when I get home and see if I can find any confirmation. I know the "dope light" (sorry, that's what we called it back in "the day")... anyway, I know the "dope light" will turn off by itself, but I'm not sure about the trunk light.

Now that I think about it, I know the trunk light will turn itself off on my '95 Grand Am. It makes sense that a 2004 Pontiac would have this same feature. I'll let you know.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm pretty sure that any drain on the battery for 2 hours will cut the battery until you hit the unlock button on your key or open the door. Unless you left it open, in that case, you close it and then reopen it. Thats the way it was on my Bonneville and I'm pretty sure they do it on most GM vehicles now.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I was just adjusting my headlights and found out something very interesting. I needed to see the adjusting screw and I have one of those little LED lights on my key chain. I had the driver's window open, so I reached in and pulled the keys out. The lights stayed on until I opened the driver's door. In a way it's sort of convenient, but I was surprised about the way it worked.

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I left my trunk open this afternoon for a long time, but I didn't keep track of the time. I can't say if it was one, two, or three hours. All I know is that the trunk light never turned off.

BTW, if it's night time and you turn your "4-way (emergency) flashers" on, your headlights come on, too (I think.) That's what seemed to be happening to me this evening while I was on the side of the road putting my MAF back on the induction tube. (It fell off! My bad... I over-tightened the clamp and it slowly "squeezed" off.)

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
When you close the refrigerator door, how do you know if the light really goes off? I don't sleep much. :sneaky:

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mistermike said:
When you close the refrigerator door, how do you know if the light really goes off? I don't sleep much. :sneaky:
A very valid question, mike. To check this, I got into my trunk and closed the lid. The light does indeed go off.

:D

OK, j/k I didn't REALLY do that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts