LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's THE best (affordable) device to use to get live data dispayed/logged on a phone or laptop that will work with the GTO?

My old corded OBD2 scanner doesn't work with the GTO.
I'm getting a check engine light periodically that resets its self after a day or 2. Would like to see what's going on....

What app works best for the GTO's data?

Complete noob on this stuff...... Be kind, please. Lol.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
The only combo I can speak to is Torque using a Bluetooth dongle. I bought a more expensive one after reading of someone on here having trouble with their fob's communication with the BCM with a cheap eBay dongle, but someone on FB assured me that they're all the same and that I wasted my money.

I like torque though, until I can get an oil pressure gauge in a dash pod I can just monitor it on an old Android phone. I haven't tried logging but it definitely can read and clear codes.

·
Worthless reject member
37,192 Posts
For as simple and cheap as it is, torque has a lot of capability.

Don't know if i agree with the bluetooth adapters all being the same. They all use the elm327, but i am sure PCB and other electrical component quality can vary.

I've had good luck with the obd link products.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Don't know if i agree with the bluetooth adapters all being the same. They all use the elm327, but i am sure PCB and other electrical component quality can vary.
That was my takeaway after reading a thread by GTO44 where he had trouble. This guy was was pretty adamant that it didn't matter so I was just like whatever, so I "wasted my money", neat

I've had good luck with the obd link products.
I think that's the brand I went with.

·
Chief CAD monkey
714 Posts
I haven't had any trouble with the cheap Panlink bluetooth adapters other than loosing them. I have a couple of other scanners including EFI-Live. I always grab the bluetooth adapter and torque app on my phone when a code pops up out of convenience. Easier to use.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
The dongles aren't all the same. There are knockoff ELM chipsets that have comm issues vie BT and don't support fully some of the CAN protocols.
The best I have found is the OBDlink MX for Bluetooth, and if you have an OTG adapter for your Android device, The OBDlink SX is a USB corded version. Both work great with My GTO and as of yet, I haven't found a 1996+ vehicle they didn't work properly with.
Torque is also about the best free app out there.

·
Registered
74 Posts

Torque Pro works great, I had used torque pro as my full time dash in the past, but I use a different app now. The app I use now does not log data but I use it as my digital dash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts