LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was pushed by an M3 yesterday. Only had a couple hundred yards before it was too much traffic for games.

First and second gear was GTO all the way. He then darted into the traffic, and made a show of going fast. I was on the road, (a major city street) for 7-8 miles and I saw him ahead of me for some time, he never made any effort to come back for another try, so I put this into the win collumn.
I am probably giving myself more credit than I deserved,
but that was satisfying. The M3 is a very nice road car, but the GTO is truly "American" IRON. Maybe we should annex OZ?

I can't believe this car is making me a kid again. Maybe I should apply for the vanity plate that I always wanted for my Corvette. "EXTENDR" is a good description for the GTO.

Carguy

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Fun, isn't it.

I HATE BMW's!!! It's nice to see the uber Kraut car go down.

·
Moving Forward
2,163 Posts
gtodriver7 said:
have you seen an M3. they are sweet cars.
I don't really like BMW either, but i really like the M3. It goes for 47K (US), it has a 3.2L Inline 6 Cylinder 333 Hp and around 262 torque. It has an excellent suspension system, excellent handling and is basically nothing like the 3-series it is based on. It is one of BMW's best cars, except maybe the M5 with its 394 Hp V8, Z8 with the same engine and the new 6 series which will be offering a V-10 and possibly a V-12 in the future. Don't down it just because its a BMW, have a little respect. Especially since its 15K more expensive and GtoDriver beat it.
If the M3 has dual exaust the it is a newer model with 333 Hp
If the M3 has a single side exhaust then it is an older model with 240 Hp or lower.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
gtodriver7 said:
have you seen an M3. they are sweet cars.
I see M3's everyday. M3's run the quarter mile in about 12.8 seconds. But they are tricky to launch. Which is when they become easy prey as most owners don't know how to drive them anyway!

I Saw several today just going over to the Allison dealer! I see M5's and virtually any other car BMW makes. Yesterday I saw at least 5 new 5 series cars and about the same number of new 7 series cars. Naperville has a BMW in every driveway. BMW's are like a$$holes around here.

·
13 year owner
16,384 Posts
Oh yea, I've also had my way with about 15 of them (M3's) in the Camaro over the past few years.

So yea, I've seen them. ;)

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
ok. i just dont see how you cant alteast appreciate how awesome a car it is, even if you dont like them

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
yeah, but whos GTO isn't a status symbol. i mean come on. no one can tell me truthfully that they dont enjoy the attention that the GTO gets.

·
Enjoy the trolls
2,548 Posts
The BMW M3 and M5 are arguably the "best" all around car in the world. If you don't believe me, just read any car magazine out there. They are well built cars that are solid, fast, reliable, and still mildly practical. They are also expensive hence the status symbol. I don't know if the GTO was designed to compete against the M series Bimmers but I couldn't think of any other car in the GM lineup that could be closer to the task than the Goat.

That being said, I definitely would not kick a BMW M3 to the curb. I would love to own and drive one. But I prefer to own a Goat and keep the 15K difference in some mutual fund or 401K. The GTO definitely has a status symbol of its own--if it didn't these blood sucking price gouging vulture dealers wouldn't be marking them up so much, making the rest of us who are still looking for one very frustrated.

Good job on the kill. Great driving skills. You owned the M3 that day. There will be days when the German will own you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
"The M3 is a very nice road car, but the GTO is truly "American" IRON. Maybe we should annex OZ?"

annex oz? maybe should become the 51st state. the culture's so similar and the pesky little prime minister could be George Bush's appendage

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nice cars M3s, last wkend had 1 try to overtake on a 3 lane rd, walked past it from a 70kph roll as he was about to do a fly by, surprised me how quick it is.

·
Est. Apr 2004
5,861 Posts
I was going to buy an M3 until I heard about the GOAT. Man am I glad I didn't, not that its a bad car by any means, but I like having the extra $15 in my pocket and still smoking the M3's out there.

They are very nice looking cars, at least the front of them. That's the only part of them I can see in my rear view mirror! :p

·
Registered
349 Posts
When I was ready to sell my S2000 for a 4-seater, I seriously considered the 325 and 330 convertibles as a replacement. They're pretty nice looking. I never really considered the M3 or M5 because of price. When I started looking at the GTO, all thoughts of the BMW went out of my head. The other thing that kept me from seriously considering a BMW is that if I got one, I wouldn't be able to tell one of my all time favorite jokes any more:

Q: What's the difference between a porcupine and a BMW?
A: A porcupine has the pricks on the outside.

·
TREAD HERE. LIMP HOME.
265 Posts
What does "BMW" stand for?

Bimbo Motor Weapon.

New ad slogan: "BMW. The only driving machine that comes standard with a dealer-installed, front-seat-mounted a$$hole."

That said, I do like my '96 328is 5spd with catback, CAI, performance programming, and M3 wheels and tires.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I raced a BMW M3 from a rolling 35 km/h (20 mp/h) in my 2003 red holden monaro, A4.

My car has 2.5" DiFillipo Cat-back exhaust, custom 2.5" cat-replacement through pipe, pacemaker tri-y 1 5/8" headers, replacement filer, and a 4" MAF pipe. The M3 was convertible and SMG gearbox.

I was ahead of him all the way and he was behind me so the wind wont hit him (drafting). till the end of the 3rd gear I was front about 1 to 1.5 car length. When I shifted 4th which is about 225 km/h (140 mp/h), he switched lanes and started gaining slowly and his front bumper was next to my door when i hit 149 mp/h limiter. The race was till I hit the limiter so I won the bet.

These cars have good top end. I tried to race him from 0, but that car had a powerful launch and my tires are worned out. I'm gonna race him again from dead stop when I change my tires and get the VCM editor.

·
Registered
5,214 Posts
Sounds like some good clean fun. I love BMW's and a M3 or M5 would be my choice if i was to take one. Should be a close street race with a slight advantage to the M3 IMO.

Sounds like you got the best of him for now. Maybe a future match with some road to stretch them legs.

:drink: :drink:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts