LS1GTO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my country, Bahrain, we have a lot of Chevy Lumina ss (GTO's) and BMW M3's racing each other and its fun to race them cause its a close race.
The M3 usually wins but we beat them if we add bolt-ons. However our cars are A4 Tranny's only.

Anyway I just wanna know if you experienced any races with those bimmers? How do the GTO's perform with them?

Thanks

·
GTOholic
1,504 Posts
At "Pontiacs In The Park" there was an M3 beating up on all the stock GTOs. As far as I know, he won every time. He didn't race bronko91, though, and bronko91 had the fastest time of the day for the 04 GTOs. I think bronko91 could have taken him. Like you say, with the right driver, the GTO can win.

·
Registered
459 Posts
FLORIT said:
At "Pontiacs In The Park" there was an M3 beating up on all the stock GTOs.
It was actually kind of dissapointing.

·
Gone but not forgotten
4,672 Posts
Public Enemy said:
They launch incredibly good i guess..
hey public enemy,
you may want to revise your signature

"2003 Lumina ss coupe

Mods:

Difillipo 2.5" Cat-back system
Pacemaker Tri-y 1 5/8" Headers
K&N Panel filter
HSV 4" MAF pipe
TranGo shitkit
B&M transmission cooler
PBR Performance Brake system
20% Window Tint"

unless your car really does have on of those new sh!tkits. i hear they are worth about 20hp :p

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
M3s are faster out of the box then GTO's and WS6... They are nice...Race em though,,, never know if you are getting a pro driver or a wannabe...
Sub 5 sec 0-60 nothing to mess with :)

·
grinning ever since...
452 Posts
Opinion on M3 vs GTO

I just went from a 97 M3 to my 04 GTO, and they are very different cars. The M3 is IMHO, the best handling car I have ever driven (while not an expert, I have been fortunate to try Italian, German, Japanese and domestic GT cars or equivalents) and is consistent with what is published in all the car rags. I could enjoy daily driving, reasonable fuel economy, and when the urge possessed me, I could race and win at will (most of the time anyway).

While I miss my M3 nimble handling and accoutrements, the GTO is awfully close. The Aussies should be commended!!!! :hail: By the way, I haven't stopped grinning since I've owned my GTO, and my wife has been grinning ever since as well! :pimp: The M3 made me smile, but not quite the same way... tough to explain.

However, my experience suggests that the right comparison would best be between a BMW 540 and GTO (never mind the sedan vs coupe thing for a minute). The BMW 640 and GTO might be an even better comparison. I haven't seen any racing information between the two cars, but that should prove interesting. The (specs I hear about the) 05 GTO and the current generation BMW M5 would make an eye opening comparison test.

IMHO, the BMWs will likely remain a step ahead because they are engineered and priced to be that way. GM, should they choose to have the courage and intelligence, could easily take BMW market share (along with Audi and MB), along with my long term loyalty (and the market segment I belong to), if they simply continue to make better decisions in their product management.

Using Holden to bring the GTO shows they are pointed in the right direction and I hope it continues. The CTS-V is getting there, but using Pontiac to put the performance and pricepoint closer to the heart of America just makes me weep with joy and reminds me why the USA is indeed a great place (some Star Spangled Banner music please....). opportunity for the middle class is always within reach.

Cheers to all,
George

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GTOdriver7 said:
hey public enemy,
you may want to revise your signature
unless your car really does have on of those new sh!tkits. i hear they are worth about 20hp :p
hehe ill fix it man it should be transgo

·
Mod Hungry... Empty Wallet
2,137 Posts
Public Enemy said:
hehe ill fix it man it should be transgo
I think he was speaking of your misspelling of shiftkit

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
You had a 97 M3...I think the comparison is on the new Gen with the 330HP engine...
Also in 05 when the new gen GTO comes out there will be a new M5 that will reign terror on even the Corvette owners...

·
grinning ever since...
452 Posts
Yes, I realize the references were to the current generation of M3. However, the 333 HP engine was available on the E36 version (previous M3 generation) in Europe and made it's way to the US in some handful of cases, or one could essentially add the Euro spec parts back. (I will neither confirm nor deny possessing such a version). I believe the emissions were not EPA certifiable at the time. The new gen M3 rocks.. no question or doubts from me.

A point I am trying to make is that positioning the M3 and GTO together is not quite right (size, weight, etc). The 5-series is more like it. Again, IMHO, the current GTO is best postioned against 540, while the 05 GTO might be against the current M5 (yikes) and in my imagination, a "Judge" version against the future M5. Putting up a valiant stand against any version of the M5 WILL BE significant and noticed.

Ranting and opining again, American auto manufacturers get close... but then don't quite seize the full opportunity. Ie. Ford excelled with the LS platform, but underpowered it. The CTS-V styling (no offense intended) is not quite mainstream nor exotic in the sports car area. Daimler Chrylser, through their European masters are moving very strongly in the performance space and with a "domestic" image, are positioned to grab leadership in the domestic performance car market. Since all car manufacturers must be of a global mindset, the Holden GTO should be viewed as an exciting step forward, and we must continue to apply pressure to ensure that we get the best products from the GM inventory possible.

It will be easy to beat upon GM and Ford, but I won't do it. Instead, I suggest we keep encouraging GM to keep the dream alive, and perhaps GM will be building the ultimate driving machines in the future, with a little help from our friends.

Sorry.. time for a coffee.. later all... :rolleyes:

·
IXLR8
476 Posts
Well atleast Ford has somewhat of the right idea also...That Ford GT is unbelievable. Though not within reach of the average person, it still makes a supercar much more affordable. Its competition is 600K+... The new Shelby Cobra coming out will be pretty sweet too. As will the new Mustang Cobra aiming for 450+hp... Also if they bring over their GTO competition (Ford Falcon) that is in AUS right now, and rumored to be appearing state side, I would be hard pressed not too purchase it over a GTO.

·
Now I gotta Goat!!!!
487 Posts
bioinformaticus said:
It will be easy to beat upon GM and Ford, but I won't do it. Instead, I suggest we keep encouraging GM to keep the dream alive, and perhaps GM will be building the ultimate driving machines in the future, with a little help from our friends.

Sorry.. time for a coffee.. later all... :rolleyes:
If you believe this TV ad, Pontiac used to build the ultimate driving machine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ive had a couple runs with M3s, not as fast as I imagined, then again Im not stock either, even without the control links, hook up well off a launch, chirp into 2, and by then its already 1/2 a car back.

From a roll, bit closer but I pull away from 3 grand up.

·
Autobahn Fahrer
2,811 Posts
Had my first encounter with an M3 the other day...unsure how hard he was or was not trying...but I know he wasn't accelerating like a slouch either.

Bottom line we both punched it on the On-Ramp with me in the lead him in the trail position and I pulled one car length on him by 120mph.

·
May I quote you on that?
22,046 Posts
wishahadagoat said:
If you believe this TV ad, Pontiac used to build the ultimate driving machine.
In the 60's, BMW engineers visited the US and stated that they wanted to be the Pontiac of Europe. Their cars of that era were nothing fantastic, and Pontiac was a market leader. Over the next decades they engineered cars, while the big three rested on their laurels. As for the commercial, I kind of like the understated approach compared to today's assaults on ones senses and sense.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts