LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running a forged ls2 motor that I was planning to boost. I got busy with priorities and put everything on hold, so its been sitting for about 3 years. It's an LS2 with forged pistons, stock rods, arp head studs, arp rod bolts, and cnc'd 317 heads. I believe the cam spec'd out was a custom (218/230 .629/.637 116lsa+2)
meant to be a "sleeper". Trans was upgraded as well Bronze fork pads, steel shifter forks, new synchros etc. and an ls7 clutch

Planning to pull the motor and trans going to swap out the clutch, I know that will be the first weak point. While it's out I'm going to refresh everything, drain the oil, new pump's pop the heads etc.

At first I was planning on doing a procharger kit and now Im thinking of a big single or twins. Any suggestions and changes I should do would be much appreciated. I know the 317s will give a good drop in compression for boost, but there seems to be mixed feelings on them everywhere I read. Can anyone running them on boosted applications chime in? not sure if should get better heads or just leave those on? Anything else I should maybe change up while I'm in there ?

thanks in advance.

·
2006GTO M6 dd-drag-roadcourse
1,504 Posts
Boost isnt going to care if its 317 heads or 243 heads or 706 heads...

With a decent boosted setup you will most likely be able to surpass what the motor can handle with a spring or pulley change anyway.

IMO unless its a max effort track car... run the heads you have

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Why do you need to freshen up the motor? surely its not worn out? Unless your ring gaps are too tight, I'd leave it alone because at this point you know its reliable. You pull it apart and you might start having issue when you change a bunch of things. I prefer a big single but options on that are basically someone custom fabbing that up for you. Check my thread, I'm building one for a buddy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am currently running a forged ls2 motor that I was planning to boost. I got busy with priorities and put everything on hold, so its been sitting for about 3 years. It's an LS2 with forged pistons, stock rods, arp head studs, arp rod bolts, and cnc'd 317 heads. I believe the cam spec'd out was a custom (218/230 .629/.637 116lsa+2)
meant to be a "sleeper". Trans was upgraded as well Bronze fork pads, steel shifter forks, new synchros etc. and an ls7 clutch

Planning to pull the motor and trans going to swap out the clutch, I know that will be the first weak point. While it's out I'm going to refresh everything, drain the oil, new pump's pop the heads etc.

At first I was planning on doing a procharger kit and now Im thinking of a big single or twins. Any suggestions and changes I should do would be much appreciated. I know the 317s will give a good drop in compression for boost, but there seems to be mixed feelings on them everywhere I read. Can anyone running them on boosted applications chime in? not sure if should get better heads or just leave those on? Anything else I should maybe change up while I'm in there ?

thanks in advance.
Maybe a new intake and throttle body carburetor that go with a turbo system and then headers that fit it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why do you need to freshen up the motor? surely its not worn out? Unless your ring gaps are too tight, I'd leave it alone because at this point you know its reliable. You pull it apart and you might start having issue when you change a bunch of things. I prefer a big single but options on that are basically someone custom fabbing that up for you. Check my thread, I'm building one for a buddy.

Well just to change the head gaskets and clean up. I don't plan on removing anything else besides that. maybe trunion upgrade, springs? not doing bearings or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Well just to change the head gaskets and clean up. I don't plan on removing anything else besides that. maybe trunion upgrade, springs? not doing bearings or anything like that.

Change head gaskets? Leaking?

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm at 102k miles and wouldn't hesitate to go Procharger. Unless yours has been beat on, I dont see why you'd tear into it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts