LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, after much agonizing and over-analysis I have decided to go down the Positive Displacement path instead of the Procharger Centrifugal path. What changed my mind? A ride in a TVS2300 boosted car.........simple as that. There is something to be said for the 'area under the torque curve' argument when it comes to a 99.99% street driven car. I placed the order today, which was the last chance to get a Black Friday weekend price reduction.
Some things of note so far:
1. Magnuson builds the GTO kit with 42# LS9 injectors and you can't get them to install anything bigger so you are on your own. Not nearly high enough flow for any motor with modifications beyond stock, even the addition of headers and a mild cam will run the duty cycle of those 42's above 90% and if you want to go down the E85 path you can forget those injectors. I'll be buying some 80# injectors to leave plenty of room for E85.
2. The large size of the water-to-air inter-cooler makes it impossible as far as I can tell to retain my XAIR CAI. So I'm going to be going back to the Vararam, glad I didn't sell it yet. I'm also looking for another radiator top cover because I modified my original to accommodate the XAIR. I've already placed a WTB add on the forum.
3. I'm installing a higher capacity fuel pump so I don't have to use the 'Boost-A-Pump' box that comes with the kit. I'm going to a boost referenced regulator anyway.
4. Magnuson felt that with my engine mods I'll need a smaller pulley on the snout of the blower drive to recover the boost lost due to the much better than stock flowing motor. The good news here is that a smaller drive pulley should definitely avoid any potential hood clearance issues.
5. My low mileage ported FAST 102 is no good to me either now.
6. What does everybody think of the 'Killer Chillers'? Worth it or not?

I feel like this should be easier and cheaper....LOL

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, the more research I do the more interested I get in corn juice. The power potential is very attractive but I can't see the cheaper fuel price making up for the loss in gas mileage. I will probably do the flex fuel sensor so I can run whatever I want.

·
Premium Member
36,103 Posts
I have noticed running it in my region, costs are close against the cost of running premium fuel. Even if E85 is more, the benefits offset the small difference.

Not sure how it is priced where you live.

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to check some of my local gas stations that have both.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Why not a twin turbo kit? i have the upp kit with a stalled converter, and I am pulling instantly after slamming on the gas. get about 16-20mpg too :)
Just something to consider.

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not a twin turbo kit? i have the upp kit with a stalled converter, and I am pulling instantly after slamming on the gas. get about 16-20mpg too :)
Just something to consider.
Too much heat.......?

·
Premium Member
36,103 Posts
I've always admired the magnuson setups. They are compact. Prochargers and turbos have plumbing everywhere, and turbos also deal with oil plumbing.

Bleh.

Turbo setups these days can be done cheaply, though, thanks to the discovery of chinesium alloy, which is their main draw.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You're going to get heat either way. Good thing about turbo setup is you would have a big intercooler to cool down IATs. ya there is intake plumbing, but all of mine is out of the engine bay, minus the pipe connecting to the manifold. You do have the oil feed lines tho. But I live in FL and my coolant temp stays around 195, and IATs around ambient unless i do a bunch of hard pulls. I moved my IAT to right after the intercooler tho to keep it from heatsoaking in the engine bay. It kept giving me false temps, so my car would lean out like an MF. Plus, with some relatively cheap turbos you can get up to 1000hp pretty easily haha.

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're going to get heat either way. Good thing about turbo setup is you would have a big intercooler to cool down IATs. ya there is intake plumbing, but all of mine is out of the engine bay, minus the pipe connecting to the manifold. You do have the oil feed lines tho. But I live in FL and my coolant temp stays around 195, and IATs around ambient unless i do a bunch of hard pulls. I moved my IAT to right after the intercooler tho to keep it from heatsoaking in the engine bay. It kept giving me false temps, so my car would lean out like an MF. Plus, with some relatively cheap turbos you can get up to 1000hp pretty easily haha.
Lots of pro's and con's for the 3 main choices for sure. I guess in the end it was the romance of having the classic blower....we'll see if the romance is still alive after the installation.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
OK, after much agonizing and over-analysis I have decided to go down the Positive Displacement path instead of the Procharger Centrifugal path. What changed my mind? A ride in a TVS2300 boosted car.........simple as that. There is something to be said for the 'area under the torque curve' argument when it comes to a 99.99% street driven car. I placed the order today, which was the last chance to get a Black Friday weekend price reduction.
Some things of note so far:
1. Magnuson builds the GTO kit with 42# LS9 injectors and you can't get them to install anything bigger so you are on your own. Not nearly high enough flow for any motor with modifications beyond stock, even the addition of headers and a mild cam will run the duty cycle of those 42's above 90% and if you want to go down the E85 path you can forget those injectors. I'll be buying some 80# injectors to leave plenty of room for E85. sell them. I like dekas, but snake eaters are the same price, come with injector data and you can get 1000cc for the same price as the dekas and have more room to grow.
2. The large size of the water-to-air inter-cooler makes it impossible as far as I can tell to retain my XAIR CAI. So I'm going to be going back to the Vararam, glad I didn't sell it yet. I'm also looking for another radiator top cover because I modified my original to accommodate the XAIR. I've already placed a WTB add on the forum. If I were you, i'd forget about an otr intake and run a 4" tube to the driver side in front of the wheel well, cut a hole and route it and a large cone filter out the engine compartment. The blower is going to be restricted by an otr intake because of how thin they are.
3. I'm installing a higher capacity fuel pump so I don't have to use the 'Boost-A-Pump' box that comes with the kit. I'm going to a boost referenced regulator anyway.
4. Magnuson felt that with my engine mods I'll need a smaller pulley on the snout of the blower drive to recover the boost lost due to the much better than stock flowing motor. The good news here is that a smaller drive pulley should definitely avoid any potential hood clearance issues. sand blast the area the belt rides on, it'll keep it from slipping. If you dont listen to me now, when it does slip, go ahead and do it and that will fix it. But you might as well do it before.
5. My low mileage ported FAST 102 is no good to me either now. Sell it!
6. What does everybody think of the 'Killer Chillers'? Worth it or not?

I feel like this should be easier and cheaper....LOL

See answers in bold.

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Many thanks! ^^

·
My other car has wings
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup, it has served me well and its only 8 months old and ported too.....Will go up for sale as soon as the supercharger is running and tuned.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts