LS1GTO.com Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
My other car has wings
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
running light? like the light in the fender? mine is still there and hooked up.......
Yes, I now understand the Hardcore kit does not require removal of those lights but I was sort of thinking out loud that it would be an easy mod to get air right from that hole in the bumper where those lights mount.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Ok you meant fog lights. Thought you meant the drl resistor.
I’m sure it could help at idle for air. But it isn’t a natural point for high pressure.
I’d put money it won’t matter for airs removing the fog light. But I’d love to see the results if anyone tests it.
Same with water. Can’t do much unless you plan to go fording with it.
Took mine on a 2 hour road trip in torrential rain, another gto ended up hydroplaning and is now totaled. Filter isn’t dirty or stained.

·
My other car has wings
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
One other thing. I was crunching some numbers and a 6.0L motor running 7 PSI boost needs about 1000CFM of airflow. The biggest K&N conical filter I can find with a 4" inlet (part number RE-0870) is rated around 900 CFM. If you're running big boost with the Hardcore plumbing setup what kind of filter are you using that can supply enough air flow?

·
Registered
537 Posts
No idea about that. Running an ru-1785 now. Compared to the one that fits with my kit. At 14#’s now and gonna run a smaller pulley next season. Didn’t bother to take the old filter off on the dyno but I assume I had other issues that contributed more.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
No idea about that. Running an ru-1785 now. Compared to the one that fits with my kit. At 14#’s now and gonna run a smaller pulley next season. Didn’t bother to take the old filter off on the dyno but I assume I had other issues that contributed more. View attachment 499541
That bigger filter looks like the one I have.

I had a filter about half that size originally. I thought going to a bigger filter would help. It didn’t do anything and didn’t add any boost. I think a filters rating is maybe how muchthey free flow before they start causing any kind of restriction. It’ll flow PLENTY for 7 psi.

Do definitely go through the trouble of catching air outside the engine compartment. My iats are LOWER with my turbo (under boost or not) with my air filter outside the engine compartment than it was with the k&n. It never gets over 110f when I’m on it.I wanted a video that Richard Holdener put out that stressed it was important to catch air outside the compartment.

·
My other car has wings
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Do you have the killer chiller or anything like that or just pulling air from the outside. That IAT is pretty low, is your IAT before or after the supercharger?

41 - 47 of 47 Posts