LS1GTO.com Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured I’d post this in the force induction section because mostly what I’ll be doing will be with boost in mind.

I picked up a 2004ish aluminum (don’t quote me on the year) gen 3 5.3. Supposed to have miles in the low 100’s. It’s really cruddy but the cylinder walls look good. Original plan was to throw it in the car as is if I have a failure. Then I had second thoughts on that because now I’ve gotten used to 12 lbs Of boost. Can’t go backwards can we? Then my buddy talked me into swapping a complete gen 4 rotating assembly in that he has lying around. Can get it real cheap. Do that and then build my 5.7 with forged pistons and good rods, swap it at a later date.

Well then came along another buddy and he made a good point. He asked me if I really want to do this twice and why not just do it right one time. Instead of wasting money on a half ass build on the 5.3 then wasting more money building the 5.7 too. So yea. That made me start thinking. And he’s right. I only want to do this once.

MY theory is the 5.3 might make a little less tq, which may help everything else behind it live. Or not. We shall see. I’ll upgrade as I can. But first thing first, gotta at least get a running motor in it.
For those who don’t know, rod started knocking the other day. Or a piston broke. Something. So on to the plans.....

Summit pro LS -7cc dish pistons (9.3-9.4:1 compression)
Summit Pro Ls H beam 1200hp rods
Saccity Corvettes billet dumbbell
Fel pro MLS .041 head gaskets
New lifters and trays (that’s still up in the air which ones I’m gonna use)
Clevite main and rod bearings
Dura bond coated cam bearings
I think I’m going to port and clean up my stock oil pump...had 45psi at idle
Jp racing billet single roller timing chain
Fel pro rear main set
Factory front cover and oil pan gaskets
Moly rings gapped to .026
I think I’m gonna do 6000 series ferrea stainless valves. Those flow about 10cfm more than factory and I may do a little more port work. I want to make it as efficient as possible.
scaT SFI flexplate
Camshaft. I’m thinking about having a custom cam done. I want it almost stock idle, better cruising and idle mpg and still pull to 7000. May be doable. May not. I’ll check into it.
swapping Convertors. I have a SS3200 yank right now, getting a PAS3800 (power adder series)
Ceramic coating my turbo hot side while it’s apart

so follow along if you like while I build this. I’ll be posting track times after getting it together. I’m gonna post pics of the parts as they come in and as I progress on the motor.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry for the long winded first post. That was my outline of all my crap. Here’s a couple pics of the block. Gotta clean this dirty thing up this weekend. What you guys think, purple power and the pressure washer and some scrubbing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks a little crusty. Sounds like a good plan.
I'd probably budget for some decent linked lifters and scrap the trays.
I agree with you. However, I’m running a small cam and not turning high rpm so it’ll be fine. I’ll have new stuff. If I was turning some crazy rpm, I would. But the money used to buy $500 lifters can be put to better use elsewhere. Thx for the suggestion tho!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YUNO GEN IV?
Have you priced them lately? I got a price from lkq a couple dats ago. $1500-$2000 depending on mileage. Ouch. I bought this one for my sons 98 camaro project that he sold and I kept the engine. I think I paid $500 for it delivered.

·
Worthless reject member
37,500 Posts
Gen 4 has the wrong reluctor wheel anyway.
I hadn't heard of the dumb bell/bar bell piece.
Thanks for that, I guess....
just have a 24x reluctor pressed onto whatever crank you use.

the dumbell is just a good idea, since he's going to be in there anyway.

i would suggest a crank scraper too, but i don't know if they make one that works with a 3.622 stroke crank and the GTO oil pan.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea but my buddy has the tool to change it. Which is what I was gonna do.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you see what that dumbbell is and what it does?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just have a 24x reluctor pressed onto whatever crank you use.

the dumbell is just a good idea, since he's going to be in there anyway.

i would suggest a crank scraper too, but i don't know if they make one that works with a 3.622 stroke crank and the GTO oil pan.
I’ll check into a windage scraper or windage tray. I want to do all the little things that add up to maximize power and efficiency

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have some bad news. Well bad to me. Summit is out of my connecting rods. Won’t have any more in till the end of the month. This pushes my build back. I wanted this thing running in the next month or so. I guess I’ll wait till Black Friday and see what kind of deal I can get. If they do t have summit rods in stock, I’ll order some callies or K1 rods. Few more bucks but not that big a deal.
Anyone have a summit discount code? I’ll order my pistons right now.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you don't REALLY have winter there, do you?

see if you lived up north, you'd have until like... april, lol.
Yes, we have winter in the morning and at night. And spring or fall during the day time. Lol. This week isn’t as bad. It was 28f a couple mornings.
FE4D0981-47E6-483A-9457-AA0997547189.png

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok I’m locked in now. I ordered pistons and rods. I finally got someone nice on the phone at summit. Joe reaches out to me, he’s on ls1tech. Nice, honest and knowledgeable. He honored the discount code for me. I ended up ordering summit pro LS pistons and h beam rods. I decided on a 9.3:1 compression and long rods. Last long rod motor I built was pretty efficient, made extraordinary power and was detonation resistant. I’m hoping to get the same out of this motor. Rods won’t be in for a couple weeks. Post pics as I get parts.....

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 59 Posts