LS1GTO.com Forums banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
1 of 40,757
6,255 Posts
Cool build. Will be watching. Thanks for sharing.
Good luck!
I added a medium sized electric heater in my garage to combat the 20* weather. Thankfully new garage seals keeping the wind out.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I stripped the engine down this past weekend. I then cleaned it. Purple power, brushes and pressure washer. I have long engine brushes to clean the oil passages. I made a tool to knock out the cam bearings and I knocked those out. I’ll have to finish up the tool to install the cam bearings.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I got notification today that my rods cane off of back order yesterday and Summit is overnighting them to me. Heck yea! Early Christmas present! The rep I’ve been dealing with is the best I’ve ever dealt with. His name is Joe, I highly recommend asking for him if you ever need anything from them.

I ended up making a piston ring compressor this weekend because if you’ve ever dealt with that stupid band type, you know why. It’ll cut you. Come in raveled. Get ****eyed and you can break a ring. I’m not dealing with that. Pays to have a lathe sometimes. I tested it already and this ***el works awesome.

Attachments

·
Worthless reject member
38,158 Posts
I got notification today that my rods cane off of back order yesterday and Summit is overnighting them to me. Heck yea! Early Christmas present! The rep I’ve been dealing with is the best I’ve ever dealt with. His name is Joe, I highly recommend asking for him if you ever need anything from them.

I ended up making a piston ring compressor this weekend because if you’ve ever dealt with that stupid band type, you know why. It’ll cut you. Come in raveled. Get ****eyed and you can break a ring. I’m not dealing with that. Pays to have a lathe sometimes. I tested it already and this ***el works awesome.
Nice. It even has a bullnosed edge.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice. It even has a bullnosed edge.

very gradual taper. The piston and rings slide though and into the block easily with no lube.....so it''l be a cake walk with oil on them. Just picked up my rings and bearings. Getting the cheaper stuff cost me $225. I got clevite P main and rod bearings, Durabond performance Cam bearings and NPR (very nice japanese) rings.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Damn, that ring tool is nice! Any pics of what you created to remove cam bearings?

You have experience with those rings?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Damn, that ring tool is nice! Any pics of what you created to remove cam bearings?
Thx. I can post some pics this evening. I still have to make another part to it tho.

here’s how the ring ordeal happened. I was at engine parts getting name brand rings. Not sure what they were. Probably hastings or something. They were $52. Moly. My buddy walks in who I’ve been consulting on this build because this is my first LS engine build and he does it for a living. He said there’s a Japanese ring set he likes to use and he highly recommended them. He said the top ring was stronger then the regular rings he used to run. I trust his recommendation. So I got the ones he said to.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Then just for kicks I wanted to see how much heavier the beefy H beam rods and forged pistons were. Would you believe this? I feel like I could get the thicker wrist pins and throw it together without balancing. I’m not tho.

Attachments

·
MO POWA!
1,782 Posts
Looking good buddy! My engine too is an aluminum 5.3 but it’s bored .128 over. I’ve got a set of 3.910 pistons and an lc9 block I may build a 388 or something if this one ever lets go!
Can’t wait to see the results!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm starting to second guess myself building a 5.3. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I'm looking at a goal of wanting to run 9.90 and trap at least 140. and of course still be a nice, unstripped car like it is now. Is that setting my goals too high? Tires, stall, axles, stubs etc. are all going to be upgraded. I've thought about the trans too. basically my plans with this setup is:
3800 stall
mickey thompson 275 drag radials, on drag wheels
return fuel system with two aeromotive 340's
80lbs deka injectors
18-22lbs of boost
axles
probably a driveshaft(maybe) kinda want to keep the "fuseable" link
stubs
little shot of meth to cool charge
I may upgrade my intercooler and piping to a 3" setup instead of the 2.5" right now

I'm trying to set this up to get 1-2lbs on the footbrake, but if I need to i'll add a launch control later to get it into boost on my launch.

hows the plan sound?

Btw, dropped the rotating assembly off yesterday to get balanced. I mocked it all up to make sure the pistons and rods were correct. I'll put the cam bearings in this weekend and then ill just have to wait.

·
MO POWA!
1,782 Posts
I'm starting to second guess myself building a 5.3. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I'm looking at a goal of wanting to run 9.90 and trap at least 140. and of course still be a nice, unstripped car like it is now. Is that setting my goals too high? Tires, stall, axles, stubs etc. are all going to be upgraded. I've thought about the trans too. basically my plans with this setup is:
3800 stall
mickey thompson 275 drag radials, on drag wheels
return fuel system with two aeromotive 340's
80lbs deka injectors
18-22lbs of boost
axles
probably a driveshaft(maybe) kinda want to keep the "fuseable" link
stubs
little shot of meth to cool charge
I may upgrade my intercooler and piping to a 3" setup instead of the 2.5" right now

I'm trying to set this up to get 1-2lbs on the footbrake, but if I need to i'll add a launch control later to get it into boost on my launch.

hows the plan sound?

Btw, dropped the rotating assembly off yesterday to get balanced. I mocked it all up to make sure the pistons and rods were correct. I'll put the cam bearings in this weekend and then ill just have to wait.
Not unreasonable at all. My last car was 3850#, 5.7, 3,73 gear, 28x10.50.

ptc converter fti cam

80e

went [email protected] on the second pass out. No cage so couldn’t go back. That’s in 5500 d/a also.
Lunching on 3# as I hadn’t had any time to work with the suspension yet, 16# total. Was a solid 9.50 car easily.
You’re biggest fight will be the 60e

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Not unreasonable at all. My last car was 3850#, 5.7, 3,73 gear, 28x10.50.

ptc converter fti cam

80e

went [email protected] on the second pass out. No cage so couldn’t go back. That’s in 5500 d/a also.
Lunching on 3# as I hadn’t had any time to work with the suspension yet, 16# total. Was a solid 9.50 car easily.
You’re biggest fight will be the 60e
Yea I know. But I’m gonna add some more tq management on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. That’s usually what kills them.
Was this a gto? What about axles and stubs and driveshaft?

·
MO POWA!
1,782 Posts
Yea I know. But I’m gonna add some more tq management on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. That’s usually what kills them.
Was this a gto? What about axles and stubs and driveshaft?
unfortunatley no, was my ws6. With an auto car and no trans brake I’d have no concerns with the parts you’re wanting to run

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Fellas I’ve been slacking. I finished building the motor. Gapped rings at .022 top and .024 for the second ring. Main bearings are set to .0015-.0017 and the rods are .0025-.0027. Ive decided to go with fel pro .041 thick head gaskets instead of the gmpp .051 thick gaskets. I ordered a motor plate for the galley under the intake. Made pulling the engine out much easier. And btw, I pulled the engine out and pulled it apart. Exactly what I thought was wrong, was the problem. Cyl7 broke the top ring land on the piston. Funny thing is I can’t find the broken piece.

·
Worthless reject member
38,158 Posts
Also, this is a gen 4 rotating assembly. Engine is not damaged at all. I was thinking about pulling forged pistons in it and bagging it. Or getting one piston and selling it. I dunno.
View attachment 499927 View attachment 499928

View attachment 499929
Original motor for the car?

The engine i pulled out of my 04 when i bent a rod had gen iv rods/pistons. I guess GM started using them in some LS engines around 03 or so, and rumor has it 04 GTO's all did.

Makes me wonder if the motor i have now does. It came out of another GTO.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts